#81 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostNonny, on 06 April 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

View PostDarthMarley, on 05 April 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on 05 April 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Is there a proposal for a national ban on all gun sales, or confiscation or existing weapons?

No, but that's what they really want to do.JK.

Proof, please, and clarification of "they" would be appreciated.

Does bolding the "JK" make it more plain?
Stands for "just kidding."
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#82 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostDarthMarley, on 06 April 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on 06 April 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

View PostDarthMarley, on 05 April 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on 05 April 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Is there a proposal for a national ban on all gun sales, or confiscation or existing weapons?

No, but that's what they really want to do.JK.

Proof, please, and clarification of "they" would be appreciated.

Does bolding the "JK" make it more plain?
Stands for "just kidding."

Bolding didn't, but telling what it meant did.  Thank you.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#83 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I just wanted to continue the theme.
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#84 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostNonny, on 04 April 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

So much for hypocrisy.  Here are the actual facts:

Dianne Feinstein Talks Guns, Opens Up About Her Own Firearm Ownership

http://www.huffingto..._n_3010058.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- Dianne Feinstein has long been one of the Senate's strongest advocates for gun control. But few people may know that the California Democrat used to own a firearm herself.
During an appearance at San Francisco's Commonwealth Club on Wednesday, Feinstein recounted the time she was targeted by a domestic terrorist group, the New World Liberation Front, while a member of the city's Board of Supervisors in the mid-1970s.
She described finding an unexploded bomb outside her San Francisco home, the lives of her family members saved only by a rare overnight freeze that disarmed the weapon's mechanism. Shaken from the scare, and another incident in which the windows of her beach house were shot out, Feinstein obtained a revolver that she kept in her purse.
"I thought if they were going to take me out, I wanted to take a few of them with me," she told the audience with a laugh.
But after witnessing the assassination of City Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone in 1978, Feinstein's views on guns shifted. She later gave up her concealed weapons permit.
"I was the one that found Supervisor Milk's body, and I was the one to put a finger in a bullet hole, trying to get a pulse," Feinstein, who succeeded Moscone as mayor following his death, told the Advocate in an interview earlier this year. "Once you have been through one of these episodes, once you see what the crime scene is like -- it isn't like the movies -- it changes your view of weapons."
"I know from first-hand experience what damage ... weapons can do to bodies," she explained at Wednesday's event. "I have a deep belief that these weapons are antithetical to our values."...

Why does that make her a hypocrite?  Seeing Moscone and  Harvey Milk die would be enough to make anyone stop and think about gun control. That was a looooong time ago, and she's been consistent ever since.  That was, of course, before she became a senator OR the mayor of San Francisco - it was 1976 IIRC.

Edited by Rhea, 06 April 2013 - 11:27 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#85 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostRhea, on 06 April 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on 04 April 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

So much for hypocrisy.  Here are the actual facts:

Dianne Feinstein Talks Guns, Opens Up About Her Own Firearm Ownership

http://www.huffingto..._n_3010058.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- Dianne Feinstein has long been one of the Senate's strongest advocates for gun control. But few people may know that the California Democrat used to own a firearm herself.
During an appearance at San Francisco's Commonwealth Club on Wednesday, Feinstein recounted the time she was targeted by a domestic terrorist group, the New World Liberation Front, while a member of the city's Board of Supervisors in the mid-1970s.
She described finding an unexploded bomb outside her San Francisco home, the lives of her family members saved only by a rare overnight freeze that disarmed the weapon's mechanism. Shaken from the scare, and another incident in which the windows of her beach house were shot out, Feinstein obtained a revolver that she kept in her purse.
"I thought if they were going to take me out, I wanted to take a few of them with me," she told the audience with a laugh.
But after witnessing the assassination of City Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone in 1978, Feinstein's views on guns shifted. She later gave up her concealed weapons permit.
"I was the one that found Supervisor Milk's body, and I was the one to put a finger in a bullet hole, trying to get a pulse," Feinstein, who succeeded Moscone as mayor following his death, told the Advocate in an interview earlier this year. "Once you have been through one of these episodes, once you see what the crime scene is like -- it isn't like the movies -- it changes your view of weapons."
"I know from first-hand experience what damage ... weapons can do to bodies," she explained at Wednesday's event. "I have a deep belief that these weapons are antithetical to our values."...

Why does that make her a hypocrite?  Seeing Moscone and  Harvey Milk die would be enough to make anyone stop and think about gun control. That was a looooong time ago, and she's been consistent ever since.  That was, of course, before she became a senator OR the mayor of San Francisco - it was 1976 IIRC.

Dunno.  I can't even remember who I was responding to in this thread.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#86 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

^Me neither. :p That's why I just chimed in.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#87 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

:D
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, gun control, Feinstein, California, Senate, 2013, Barbara Boxer

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users