Mandatory Game Installs Confirmed for the Next XBox

XBOX Durango

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's good news. Used games are always good and knowing that we can still play games without being connected to the Net. Very cool.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#42 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostRaijin, on 14 April 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Actually the latest rumours going around are:

"Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games."

http://www.vgleaks.c...x-roadmap-2013/

This needs to happen.  

Look, I'm not going to defend my earlier comments to anyone.  Because, quite frankly, following market trends is my job.  You can't block the used game market and you can't make internet a requirement.  That aims too specifically at a singular group of gamers and ignores entire other parts of it.  We may be a connected society, but there is no denying that there are younger gamers that aren't allowed to game online.  And that isn't a small part of the market.  Anyone that thinks that it is... well, I welcome you to work my job for one month and see for yourself.

Edited by NexusNine, 30 April 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#43 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

So XboxOne... you have to pay a fee to install used games.

#44 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

^ A fee to who?  If it's a nominal fee going to the developers, I'd probably be ok with that, assuming the used games market adjusted for the new economics.   (Errr... not that I really buy that many used games anyway, so I don't have a lot at stake in that race.)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#45 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I don't think anyone really knows but it's safe to say the money goes to Microsoft. The Xbox One has been a disaster in presentation, just one botched element after another. I won't be bothering.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#46 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostJosh, on 22 May 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

I don't think anyone really knows but it's safe to say the money goes to Microsoft. The Xbox One has been a disaster in presentation, just one botched element after another. I won't be bothering.

I won't be bothering either.
Posted Image
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  

#47 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

I'm sticking to PC unless it gets screwed next gen. Which may happen...

But if I have to, PS4 is looking better. All I wanted to see from MS is if their hardware was superior. Looks like not.

#48 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

PC gamers pretty much always get screwed. We're always the guinea pigs for the brand new and completely worthless DRM and online activation schemes. We usually get subpar ports. Occasionally we get surprised by a top notch port like Tomb Raider but this isn't the norm by far. And so on.

As for the used game market, of course it can be blocked, NN. It's been successfully killed on PC with online activation and other forms of DRM. The methods for doing so on a console wouldn't necessarily be the same (unless an Internet connection is required) but publishers are determined to kill that market. And there are many technical ways it can be done even without an Internet connection. Whether it's a smart move to go after this market is another matter entirely.

Personally I think they'd be better off going after actual software pirates and not wasting their time screwing legitimate consumers and markets.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#49 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Not sure what to think about the Xbox One. I watched the live reveal on Spike and they spent about five minutes on showing the games, and the rest on how this will be the biggest, most expensive remote you've ever owned. I all ready have something that can work on all my devices. It's called a universal remote.

I'd have to see a lot more about how games are going to be improved and what games are coming out before I decide which console to buy. Most of the extra features on the One I couldn't care less about. I don't care what other people are watching, or that I can browse the Internet and watch TV at the same time. I can do that now with my laptop. I want to know about the games.

I would have no problem paying a small fee for used games if that money was going to the actual people who made the game. That's the only reason I don't like buying used games. But yeah, targeting legitimate gamers who pay for their games (whether used or new) and buy the DLC and pay for Xbox Live seems like a bad strategy in the long run. Though that didn't stop them from doing it to PC gamers. Time will tell, I guess.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#50 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 May 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

As for the used game market, of course it can be blocked, NN. It's been successfully killed on PC with online activation and other forms of DRM. The methods for doing so on a console wouldn't necessarily be the same (unless an Internet connection is required) but publishers are determined to kill that market. And there are many technical ways it can be done even without an Internet connection. Whether it's a smart move to go after this market is another matter entirely.

When I say can't, I'm talking strictly in terms of market viability.  

Personally I think they'd be better off going after actual software pirates and not wasting their time screwing legitimate consumers and markets.

Which Nintendo has done with great success for the past 25 years.  Sure, still lots of pirating even on Nintendo's end, but they have also shut down a lot of pirates as well.  Sony and Microsoft should take a page from the Big N.
Posted Image

#51 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

It isn't just Sony and Microsoft I'm referring to, though. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and all of the other publishing conglomerates want to put an end to the used game market.

They've successfully killed the used game market on PC and the industry didn't die. People still buy games. Every used game sold is considered a lost sale, not unlike how every pirated copy is considered a lost sale. With piracy, it isn't a logical stance to have because there's no guarantee that the people pirating would have bought the game. With used games, there actually are lost sales. Publishers don't get any money from used game sales. Only third parties do.

Destroying that market would no doubt impact a lot of gamers. But it wouldn't cost them game sales. The used games being bought were already bought by other people. The only way it might impact sales would be with the consoles themselves. I honestly don't think it would impact the market that much. Enough people buy new games that publishers will still make a profit.

#52 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

http://www.bloomberg...html?cmpid=yhoo

Consumers who purchase the new console, which goes on sale in time for the holidays, must connect to the Web at least once every 24 hours for games to work, while access to digital libraries provided by the console requires an Internet connection every hour, the company said in a blog posting today. Broadcast TV, Blu-ray and DVD movies will work without a connection, the Redmond, Washington-based company said.

The company said game publishers will have the right to determine whether consumers can trade in or sell used disc-based titles or pass them on to friends.

So we finally have confirmation about a number of things. I really don't understand why an Internet connection is needed at all to play games when it never has been before. What do they get from forcing gamers to have an Internet connection? Is it just an Internet connection or do you need Xbox Live as well?

I'm curious to see how many publishers allow their games to be sold used. I guess it's better than no used games at all.

I don't know. I'm just not excited for the next generation of consoles. That might change when E3 comes along but as of right now I'm not planning on getting any of the consoles when they are first released.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#53 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Internet connection is not needed. It's just DRM. They want control.

#54 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostRaijin, on 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Internet connection is not needed. It's just DRM. They want control.
Exactly. I've been expecting this kind of thing to appear on consoles for a while now. It's been the norm in PC gaming for years. We've been the guinea pigs for testing these kinds of DRM systems and now that it's been deemed a "success," they're ready to deploy it on consoles. As I said in my original post, I'm not sure why this turn of events is so surprising. Publishers have been pushing these kind of draconian systems on PC gamers for ages. They want full control over the games we buy and they want to kill the used games market. They've succeeded in doing both of those things on PC.

#55 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

So, the Xbox One has to be connected to the internet once an hour to play any single player game?

Yo, Sony.... make your PS4 single player games not needing any internet connection and you can have my money.
Rejected and gone.

#56 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostMikoto, on 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

So, the Xbox One has to be connected to the internet once an hour to play any single player game?
This is pretty the PC model that's been in use for many games for years.

Yo, Sony.... make your PS4 single player games not needing any internet connection and you can have my money.
I wouldn't get your hopes up.

#57 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostMikoto, on 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Among other things. The list is actually pretty appalling. Sony could easily win this generation if they do the exact opposite of Microsoft.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#58 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostJosh, on 07 June 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Sony could easily win this generation if they do the exact opposite of Microsoft.

Sony has to consider publisher interests. Because all those things aren't just coming from Microsoft and doing the exact opposite may hamper PS4's potential games library. Big publishers want to control used games just as much as Microsoft.

Edited by Raijin, 07 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#59 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostJosh, on 07 June 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Among other things. The list is actually pretty appalling. Sony could easily win this generation if they do the exact opposite of Microsoft.

I know. I've heard some unsettling stuff about the Xbox One like the 'owners' being unable to turn off the Kinect, microphone and camera. Which would allow unprecedented spying on people in their own homes. Especially if Microsoft has a facial recognition programme. How you look, your body weight/shape, able to measure biometrics like your heart rate which could reveal certain medical conditions... recording conversations. All of which is sent off to Microsoft every 24 hours.

I hate the idea of having to cover the Xbox One with a towel or finding a way to block out its ability to 'hear' anything via the microphone as much as I hate the idea that if my internet cuts out for a few days my console becomes an expensive paperweight. (Ability to watch TV and watch DVDs unrestricted aside. I already have devices that can do that that don't need no internet.)

All in all, I really don't think I'll be buying one. And if the PS4 isn't any better..... this may end my videogaming on anything but aging consoles.
Rejected and gone.

#60 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

^ Yeah, that section on the main website reassuring people about privacy issues with the Kinect just raised all kinds of red flags.  If it wasn't problematic and open to abuse, there wouldn't be a need for that section in the first place.  It rings of slapping a PR bandaid on a gunshot wound.

At the end of the day, it boils down to the fact that getting internet to the living room when the cable modem is in the office with the device that is SUPPOSED to be connected to the internet all the time is a giant PITA that has never worked reliably enough for me to bother spending money on a device that's going to punish me for not being technically savvy enough to figure out why my Xbox can't find the internet a good 30% of the time, but then magically gets better a few days later without me changing anything.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XBOX, Durango

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users