• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yes I was also amazed at the executive's reply. That's not the way to treat concerned potential customers.
Rejected and gone.

#82 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

http://games.yahoo.c...-211818635.html

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback," he wrote. "I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

So Microsoft has reversed their decisions pretty quickly. No more Internet check-ins and no more complicated game trading. I thought they might eventually go back on those two things but I didn't expect it this quickly. I wonder if this will help Microsoft win back gamers. There's still the price difference between the two consoles.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#83 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Feedback must have been really strong for them to backpedal so fast. For a while I thought outside of people complaining on the internet the casual "Joe Average" would swallow it and Microsoft knew it. But apparently whatever data they got scared them this much.

#84 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

From what I've read, by and large gamers aren't convinced by this panic-move by Microsoft. The arrogance and rudeness a few weeks ago is still in people's memories.

Plus, many, like me, are concerned that after a few months Microsoft will "patch" or "update" the Xbox One back to the awful restrictions they wanted in the first place.
Rejected and gone.

#85 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

If I start looking at one of the next gen consoles Microsoft have already guaranteed that I won't by an XBox one. They have done a significant amount of making me believe it's a bad idea and this reversal does not come anywhere near close enough to undoing the damage they've already done.

#86 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

PS4 is cheaper, has faster GPU and faster RAM. Unless you really like Xbox exclusives there really is no reason...

Edited by Raijin, 20 June 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#87 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've been playing PC games since I was 10 (I'm almost 31) and I haven't those kinds of stability issues you describe, Mikoto, for at least 13 years. And when I did have stability issues, it was often an issue with my OS (Windows 98 was terrible) or a driver problem.

View PostMikoto, on 12 June 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Okay my computer still has Windows XP on it.
Problem #1. Windows XP sucks. It blows away Windows 98 and ME, but that isn't saying much. It's also about 13 years out of date. If you want a stable gaming system, you'll want Windows 7 or 8.

But let's see...... Sims 3 and all its expansions (except Pets-installing that renders the game unplayable as it crashes every five minutes), Spore, Sims Medival, Black and White 2 plus its expansion pack, Sim City 4, Settlers: Rise of the Empire..... I think that's about it. I really try not to play PC games if I can help it. I did have the Sims 2 and some of the expansions but I since removed it from the computer as well as the original black and white. (Which is sodding crazy. If I install Black and White, Black and White 2 simply will not function. They're not even the same game!!!)

All of them randomly minimize without warning in short bursts every so often, every single one of them crashes within an hour of play or within two hours if I'm lucky, every single one has visual bugs, glitches, prone to freezing, slowing down, and various little features within the game simply not working.

The only games that run/ran with any semblance of stability were FFXI and Star Trek Online-which are MMO's.
None of that is normal for the majority of PC games. Some have serious issues (Dark Souls, for example) but most do not. I've never had Tomb Raider (2013), BioShock Infinite, Borderlands 2, or most other modern PC games crash, minimize, or freeze. Most of what you're describing sounds like issues with your PC, not the games in question. Games shouldn't randomly minimize unless something is taking focus away from them (an overzealous virus scanner maybe?). Hard locks/freezes should be extremely rare/almost non-existent on a stable machine. They're usually an indication of a hardware or heat problem.

Edited by NeuralClone, 21 June 2013 - 04:40 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#88 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostRaijin, on 20 June 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Feedback must have been really strong for them to backpedal so fast. For a while I thought outside of people complaining on the internet the casual "Joe Average" would swallow it and Microsoft knew it. But apparently whatever data they got scared them this much.

No just feedback, people are putting their money where their mouth is.  PS4 is outpacing the XBox One in pre-sales at a 2:3 ratio.  So not only are people complaining, they are outright showing Microsoft that they are willing to switch to the the PS4 in order to experience the freedom of gaming the way we've been console gaming for over 3 decades.  Microsoft relied way too much on the good faith they built up this generation and felt they could dictate things that gamers just don't want.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#89 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

NC, you're probably right. But I have had such an awful experience with PC gaming I'm...... reluctant to drop hundreds of £ of my hard earned cash on something I have no guarantee will work in comparison to the reliability of the console.

Yes, I agree with NN about Microsoft's decision to reverse, for now, some of its unpleasant policies. We could have made all the complaints and outcry that we wanted and so long as the preorder sales were good, they wouldn't have changed anything. I for one am deeply grateful to my fellow gamers who voted with their wallets. We all showed Microsoft that customer loyalty is hard won and easily lost. We're fickle creatures and will defect in an instant if a rival offers a better deal.

Me, as soon as I've actually saved up enough to afford a PS4 (hopefully by mid-July) I intend to add my voice to it. I'm currently a Xbox 360 owner with no PS3. I would have gone with Xbox One but for those policies and the rudeness and arrogance dsplayed by Microsoft. I'm one of the thousands if not millions of people defecting, voting with my wallet.
Rejected and gone.

#90 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

"Microsoft hopes to use the voice recognition features of the new Kinect to deliver targeted advertisements to individual users."

http://www.escapistm...rtising-in-Mind

In case you were wondering if Kinect will spy on you...

#91 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Also, the guy who told everyone to "buy a 360" if you wanted to play offline has left Microsoft.

http://games.yahoo.c...-173941917.html
Rejected and gone.

#92 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

"Microsoft hopes to use the voice recognition features of the new Kinect to deliver targeted advertisements to individual users."

Ugh. Just ugh.

Also, the guy who told everyone to "buy a 360" if you wanted to play offline has left Microsoft.

http://games.yahoo.c...-173941917.html

I figured that this would happen. Hopefully Microsoft replaces him quickly with someone who won't give flippant answers (or at least real answers that come across as flippant) to questions fans are concerned about.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#93 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 03 July 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Ugh. Just ugh.

Damn! Mr. Finch has been warning me every week on Person of Interest that this was going to happen!

He was right, dear god he WAS RIIIIIGHHHHHT!

*ahem*

In all seriousness, there is no way in hell one of these monstrosities will ever enter the enTranced household.

enTranced
Posted Image

#94 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nor the Mikoto household.

Its beyond rediculous that someone has to drop half a grand, pay a monthly subscription AND still be absolutely bombarded with advertisements. Normally people pay for a premium service to remove ads. That's to say nothing of the creepy spy aspect to the Xbox One.

There's a ton of them on the Xbox360 main screen too though fortunately they are silent and I've learnt to tune them out. I literally don't see them anymore. But still.... there is nothing they could advertise to me. If I want something, I go out and buy it. Money is too tight to spend on impulse buys.

As for the guy who 'left' Microsoft, I'm pretty confident it was a case of jumping before he was pushed.

Edited by Mikoto, 04 July 2013 - 12:11 PM.

Rejected and gone.

#95 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

The guy who left Microsoft left for a $19 million dollar a year contract with Zynga. I would not be quick to assume he was getting fired.

#96 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostRaijin, on 05 July 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

The guy who left Microsoft left for a $19 million dollar a year contract with Zynga. I would not be quick to assume he was getting fired.

I would.  $19 million or not, he took on a job at a struggling company, that if he doesn't pull it together, will leave him jobless altogether.  His move was too sudden at a time when controversy around him was very high.  I have no doubt that he jumped ship before he got pushed off from it.  He utterly botched the reveal of the XBox One and lost Microsoft a lot of good will from the consumers.  Sony, for the first time in a long time, did everything right this time, and they have capitalized on the mistakes Microsoft have made.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#97 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

What NexusNine said.
Rejected and gone.

#98 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostNexusNine, on 05 July 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

$19 million or not, he took on a job at a struggling company, that if he doesn't pull it together, will leave him jobless altogether.

It's not like he will ever need another job ever again.

#99 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's not like he will ever need another job ever again.

He might. $19 million is a lot of money, but he could manage it horribly and lose it all. Or he might have several houses or cars or what have you. Or he could make some bad investments. Just because someone's rich doesn't mean they'll stay rich. I like to think if I ever came into a lot of money I'd spend it wisely but I might let it go to my head and blow it all very quickly.

I do agree that this feels more like a jumping before he's pushed situation. The Zynga deal is a lot of money, but as others have pointed out it's a struggling company. Maybe he can turn it around, maybe he can't. Now if he had left Microsoft for a stable company that was doing good business, then I'd be more inclined to believe that his position at Microsoft was secure.

There are a few exclusive titles on the XBox that I would like to continue to play (like Fable) but I don't like the idea of the Kinect or the ads that aren't disguised as ads. I get that ads are simply part of life, but if I'm plopping down hundreds of dollars for a game console, then sixty to seventy dollars for games, and sixty or more dollars to have access to XBox Live, I don't want to have ads shoved in my face every two seconds.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#100 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 July 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

He might. $19 million is a lot of money, but he could manage it horribly and lose it all.

Well... ok... duh... In theory of course he could blow it all. But I think that happens more to lottery winners who've never dealt with a lot of money before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XBOX, Durango

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users