Bioshock Infinite

Bioshock

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm about three or four hours into the game and I am loving it so far. This is how you make a sequel.

Bioshock:Infinite is set in 1912. You play as Booker DeWitt, a private investigator who has been hired to rescue a girl on the floating city of Columbia. If Booker does this, all his debts will be paid.

This game is georgeous. Columbia is an amazing city filled with wondrous sights. It's the complete opposite of Rapture, and not just because it is floating above the clouds. Columbia is a functioning society with leaders, police, advanced technology, and friendly citizens.

At the start of the game I spent time just looking around at the city because there's just so much to see. The city is floating all around you and barges are moving between sections. The cities slowly bob up and down in the air. Parts of the city dock together. There are tons of nooks and crannies to explore. Everything is bright and shiny and working.

At least on the surface. Once you start to delve into the game you find out that racism is rampant in the city and that everyone is a religious nut who believes that the ruler of the city, Comstock, is a prophet you sees into the future. They have deified the Founding Fathers and demonized anyone who isn't a pure, white American.

Like in the original, the primary weapons are guns and special abilities, here called vigors. The guns are about the same as in the first two. You start the game with a postol, and eventually find a machine gun, shotgun, and carbine. The vigors are similar to what was in the first. The first vigor I acquired was Possession, which allows me to control machines and people. Next is a fire vigor, and the last one I have acquired is A Murder of Crows, which sends out a lot of crows to peck your enemies to death. You can also lay traps with these vigors. They are also upgradeable, as is all of the weapons. You can only have two guns and two vigors at any given time so it's a good idea to choose wisely.

The game includes clothing, each of which grants you special bonuses. Maybe a pair of pants lets you jump farther for melee attacks, or a pair of boots that means you get extar health when you kill an enemy. It adds some customization to the game and lets you pick and choose which abilities you want more.

Riding the sky-lines are pretty fun. It's like being on a roller-coaster without anything to sit in. I haven't really had to perform any combat while I was on the skyline but it should be fun once it does happen.

I have rescued Elizabeth and she's a great companion. She doesn't just follow you and stay by your side. She will wander away to look at the sights and offer opinions on what she sees. If she gets bored she will sigh to let you know. She will engage Booker in conversation. She is a fully fleshed out character and I'm glad she's along for the ride.

So far there haven't been the good or evil choices like in the first two games. There have been choices of course, but none with any clear indication of if you're doing the right thing or not. Saving the Little Sisters or killing them was a clear cut choice. Here, you decide whether to throw a baseball at two tied up people or the announcer, what type of necklace to give Elizabeth, and whether to draw a gun on a guy you think might be about to shoot your or wait. I decides to throw the baseball at the announcer, and was rewarded later by the couple with an article of clothing. I don't know if I made the right choice of necklace or if there is a right choice. I decided to wait and got a knife in my hand for my troubles. Elizabeth wrapped it in a cloth and now I see that cloth around my hand. Maybe that will affect the game later on or maybe not. I like not knowing if these choices have long range consequences or if they won't add up to anything.

I have encountered a few problems. Early on in the game the arrow that tells you where to go led me to a sky-line and seemed to indicate I needed to ride it. No matter what I did I couldn't attach to the sky-line. I eventually let myself die and when I re-spawned(which costs money) the arrow led me in the right direction. Later I reached a save point, made sure it saved, and quit playing. When I went back to the game it loaded an earlier save. I was not exactly a happy camper.

So far, Bioshock: Infinite is a great game and well worth the $60. Even if you haven't played the first two Bioshock games you should give this one a try. As far as I can tell it's not connected to those games at all so you won't be confused. This is a stand-alone story with fun combat, a great city to explore, an interesting companion, and a great narrative.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I've been so tempted to buy this on Steam these past few days because I loved the original BioShock (hated the sequel). But I need to wait a while. Too many games and not enough time. I still haven't gotten around to beating Tomb Raider yet.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well that didn't take long. It's downloading now. :lol:

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

^You won't regret it. It's an amazing game and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Too many games and not enough time. I still haven't gotten around to beating Tomb Raider yet.

I know how you feel. I want to get Tomb Raider but Bioshock is going to consume all of my time and I've all ready put aside some money for Injustice. I swear, I can go months without buying a game and then all of a sudden five or six good games come out in a short period of time and I'll want to buy them all.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

There's something deeply unsettling about a religion being formed around 3 of the Founding Fathers of the United States with John Wilkes Booth being considered a national hero. Kudos, Irrational Games. You have developed the TRUE successor to BioShock with BioShock: Infinite. This game is frakking brilliant.

Edited by NeuralClone, 30 March 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

There's something deeply unsettling about a religion being formed around 3 of the Founding Fathers of the United States with John Wilkes Booth being considered a national hero. Kudos, Irrational Games. You have developed the TRUE successor to BioShock with BioShock: Infinite. This game is frakking brilliant.

It is very unsettling. And it gets even more unsettling. These people are horribly racist and have a skewed sense of history.

Elizabeth is a very handy person to have around. She gives you money, ammunition, and health when you need it. Plus, she can open tears. Basically, she rips into alternate universes and can bring in weapons, turrets, health, sky-hooks, cover, etc. It helps a lot during combat.

My game is, unfortunately, still glitching. I got pretty far, stopped once it auto-saved, and came back to play it later. Instead of putting me where it last saved, it sent me back to a previous save, again. So I played for a little bit but didn't get to the same place that I was out. It saved, and I stopped playing. When I started playing again, it put me back at an earlier save. I finally got past the place I was at to begin with and it saved and put me back where I was supposed to be. But if it keeps doing this then the game, no matter how good it is, is going back to the store.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 31 March 2013 - 07:39 PM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I REALLY want to play this game. However, given the new roommate, I doubt this is going to happen. Ex-roomie was the one who bought all the games. All well, GW2 will be good enough for awhile.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#8 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

So I finished it... and... :shocked:  Whatever you do, don't let anyone spoil the story for you. Really, don't. Stay away from wherever, like twitter convos and forums. There are sooo many things you want to let just smack you unaware...

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

So I finished it... and... :shocked:  Whatever you do, don't let anyone spoil the story for you. Really, don't. Stay away from wherever, like twitter convos and forums. There are sooo many things you want to let just smack you unaware...

I am remaining as spoiler free as possible. I kind of wish I wasn't the Game Room mod at the moment so I didn't have to read this thread until I finished the game. :) I had the original Bioshock spoiled for me so I am determined that this one won't be.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm doing everything in my power not to be spoiled as well, which is becoming increasingly difficult as more of my friends beat the game. I may need to lock myself in my room with my phone off and just plow through the game this weekend. On the other hand, I hate rushing through stuff. Ugh!

#11 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Vigil, if you'd like Chatty and I can watch this thread for you. I understand about wanting to remain utterly spoiler free.
Rejected and gone.

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Vigil, if you'd like Chatty and I can watch this thread for you. I understand about wanting to remain utterly spoiler free.

That would be great. Thanks. There are very few games where I want to remain completely spoiler free and Bioshock is one of them. I let the first game get spoiled for me and I'd rather not repeat the experience. I haven't even read reviews of the game, which is something I usually like to do with the games I buy.

I'm doing everything in my power not to be spoiled as well, which is becoming increasingly difficult as more of my friends beat the game. I may need to lock myself in my room with my phone off and just plow through the game this weekend. On the other hand, I hate rushing through stuff. Ugh!

Luckily I don't have any friends playing this as well but the Internet itself is a giant bomb waiting to go off. I haven't visited a game site since I bought Bioshock: Infinite. Like you, I'm tempted to rush through just to beat it but one of the things I love about the game so far is that there is so much to explore and take in.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Alrighty, we'll keep an eye on this thread for you. I'll PM you in the unlikely event anything actually happens. ;)
Rejected and gone.

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Okay, I finally finished it. What an absolutely amazing game. Just great. "There will always be a lighthouse, there will always be a city, and there will always be a man." That about sums up the Bioshock games.

So much to comment on. I guess I'll start with Elizabeth. She was a great character and a great computer controlled partner. She never got in the way, and she was useful in battle when she would toss salts, ammo, and health. Then there's the tears she can open to bring in handy items from alternate realities. I liked that she didn't just stand around waiting for me to decide to do something. She would explore on her own or sigh showing her impatience. They did a great job in creating her and really making players care about her. When she was taken from me towards the end of the game I missed her. I had come to rely on her more than I knew.

The story was definitely trippy. This is a game that is begging to be played again with the knowledge of how it all comes together. The ending is brilliant and sad and a little optimistic. I did not see the twist coming at all.

Columbia was magnificent. I think I might prefer Rapture by a smidge, but there's no denying that looking out across the sky at the various parts of Columbia floating around was amazing. I liked how they made it seem like a paradise when Booker first shows up, but eventually they reveal the dark underbelly of racism, brutality, and slave labor. Not to mention deifying the Founding Fathers.

I liked that we saw Columbia's fall from grace. I had really wanted to see the civil war in Rapture, and the developers basically gave it to me with the Vox Populi uprising.

I do wish something had had the same iconic nature as the Big Daddies or Little Sisters. The Handymen were okay, but nothing spectacular. The Songbird was great and I loved taking control of it at the end if the game but I don't see it catching on like the Big Daddies did. The Patriots were creepy enough dressed up as the Founding Fathers and they were tough to take out. I died quite a bit during that final fight aboard the airship when they kept sending two Patriots after me.  Also, fighting regular guys with guns got old after a while. I missed the Splicers.

I do wonder where they will go from here. They said in the game themselves that the pattern to the Bioshock games is that there will always be a man going to a city. What do you do next after going to a sunken city in disrepair and a floating city about to go to war with itself? They can't even make a return trip to Columbia. Or I don't think they can if I understood the ending.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

So I am playing a game late again. Oh well, at least I got the game for 15 bucks.

I am already deeply in love with the game. The city is indeed gorgeous, I love Elizabeth even when she is taking a pipe wrench to Booker's head. I love the more open nature of this Bioshock and I love that this city is still functioning in all it's dystopian glory, I love that it shows the power and the danger of religion and how when religion gets corrupted it helps to have a handy scapegoat, in this case people who have the wrong skin color. The game's story is very ambitious suiting a Bioshock game, the well down research, and then applying that knowledge to create a fascinating alternate history. Very nicely done.

I read Virgil's last post squinting to not spoil myself but what I did read I agree 100%.

M gripes so far:

1) I say this every Bioshock game but god I really wish this series was a RPG. I love Booker's quest for redemption and the game opens with a Baptism and he has a discussion with Elizabeth on how he deeply regrets his bloody past.....and then he cuts the head off like.....freaking EVERYONE because shooters. *sigh*

2) Sort of part of number 1 but did we really need to up the gore so much? I mean my Big Daddy in part 2 had DRILLS FOR HANDS and the game had less gore. :p

3) I really, really wish I could have danced with Elizabeth. Damn you tunnel vision game developers. Also wanted to buy her some candy when she asked about it but alas Booker and the candy merchant remained mute and stoic like jerks. :(

enTranced
Posted Image

#16 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

And just like that the game listens to me! I went into a tavern in Shantytown and saw a guitar that was able to be activated so Booker walked over to the guitar and started playing and then Elizabeth started to sing and offer food to a child that was hiding. It was a sweet little and quiet scene. I LOVED it.

enTranced
Posted Image

#17 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hey enTranced-without trying to delve into spoilers, there is an opportunity to dance with Elizabeth if you buy the DLC.

#18 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

^ What she said. And there's also a chance to explore a certain city found in other games in the series...

#19 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

^ Color me very interested. I mean unless this game goes downhill fast I am pretty much locked into picking up the season pass. Especially since I got it at such a good price.

enTranced
Posted Image

#20 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think the game remains quite good throughout. My only real gripe is some of your choices get thrown out the window in favor of some pre-determined ones, which I think was a mistake. At the same time, I understand why they went in the direction they went in. If you keep in mind that the game is a shooter with some RPG elements, then it isn't as big of a deal. If this had been a role-playing game first and a shooter second, then this would have been a fatal mistake.

"Burial At Sea" (episodes 1 and 2) is certainly worth playing. So far only episode 1 is out and has received rather poor reviews. But I like it despite its flaws. Being able to explore Rapture again is pretty cool. And episode 2 is supposed to let you play as Elizabeth, which has tons of potential.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users