Fukushima Namie 2013 Japan tsunami earthquake Google Streetview

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

Yesterday, Google-Asia released street views of the ghost towns of Namie & Fukushima, Japan.  Using one of it's Google Streetview cars, it captured exclusive footage of what the cities look like today; two years after the massive 9.0 earthquake and resulting tsunami hit the coastline of Japan back in 2011.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ia/japan-google

http://phys.org/news...an-nuclear.html

http://www.theatlant...st-town/100482/

just for measure, a link outlining the devastation statistics
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#2 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

More before and after (2011 vs 2013) images.  This one of hope and recovery.  It's astounding how much recovery progress has been made (in areas not hazardous from nuclear plant fallout).

http://www.theatlant...d-after/100469/
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#3 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

That link in your second post is amazing.

It's nice to see such hope after such devastation.

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

indeed.  I can't help to wonder though, the difference between New Orleans and Japan with the clean up.  I haven't been down there, but two years out pictures didn't seem to reflect this big of an effort.  And that puzzles me.

LauraBertram.net

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fukushima, Namie, 2013, Japan, tsunami, earthquake, Google Streetview

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users