• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Now I'm pretty sure all of you have more than I, and bring in plenty; some bring in only a bit but you had the opportunity to put together the type place and situation you can set up for the long haul with bargain budget like oh who is that who lives in the Manitoba or Regina area?
;)
But most of you have thousand a month and don't feel this experience like this reporter lady, so we can see some eye opening-

as some of you may know, the Brits begin the new entitlement cuts the GOP in US are railing on in the media , radio, TV, Hannity, Medved, Bowes, oh they all want entitlements to go away, we must Force people out to make it, to push the 2 pct of entrepreneurs who make success into some new world figure of say 65 pct of them make a success right? you can , pull bootstraps, you can climb your own climb, you can push the envelop, you can make your own, a world of entrepreneurs DO your upward and onward, yes! you can! am I sounding like those adverts now for those services that prey on the dreamers, call now, One 800, once again that number is, Call One 800, ring us , pay us , Now!

so, back to the real world> here's a reporter who took the Ian Duncan quote to heart, erm rather to TEST> live on 53 quid a week? really? see her report,
!
But first, how bout cartoon on't?
oh yeah,
http://www.guardian....welfare-reforms

OK, hell, two,
http://www.guardian....it-cuts-cartoon

' For my book Hard Work I rented a council flat (available in a block being renovated) and I took minimum-wage jobs from the jobcentre, when they were plentiful: care home assistant, hospital porter, cake packer, call centre operator, dinner lady and nursery assistant. I could afford some buses but walked mostly long distances to jobs that meant being on your feet all day. I calculated the cost ...

Instead of doing this myself I could have interviewed people and followed families around. But the purpose was to show people like those who send the "feckless" emails that however careful you are, even the minimum wage, let alone benefits, doesn't provide a living standard that is adequate, decent or fair. How much worse if I'd had children with me, wanting and needing things. Shocks came regularly, reminding me how clueless I was. With a bad headache at work ... – but lack of bus money limits where you can go.

Let IDS try it, but a week isn't long enough. What starts as a challenge and a puzzle soon settles into a bleak greyness. I did this only to do the sums, to calculate each penny you earn and spend in minimum wage jobs. I didn't pretend I ever knew what it was like to be poor. I can't know how it feels to be genuinely insecure, to have nothing to fall back on in sickness or emergencies, always one step from disaster and out of phone credit, with no one to ask for help. That remained an imaginative leap too far: I can only guess. '
http://www.guardian....3-pounds-a-week

So,
let them eat cake?
what cake?
no, you get a crumb - and a dry hard stale one, that's it
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

I subsist on $100/wk and certainly qualify for govt. benefits, but don't avail myself of them yet.

As I understand the UK cuts, it is a "cut" in the sense that there is only a 1% annual increase in benefit payments.
Compared to stagnant wages of the working class, I don't see it as an unresonable austerity measure.

As for how right wing nutjobs like me, who while poor justify austerity style measures, there is much fraud and abuse in our welfare system.
Taking public transportation, I hear a variety of scams and schemes to get more while doing nothing but jumping through hoops.
While at stores, I overhear complaints from those using benefit cards to pay when they have to fork over cash from their pocket to buy lottery tickets or vice purchases.
Those who are genuinely in need don't complain, those who do complain are not genuinely in need.
That is how I see it.
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

wow, someone's not paying rent
;)
where I live the _bus_ is 90 quid a month- how can anyone live on 500 quid a month?? I cant live on 900 quid a month ..... 'genuinely in need dont complain, those who do complain are not genuinely in need' .. Really? I see that those With dont complain, those without sink down toward ashes with nothing left but complain into the flames .................... oh, majority of poor fams in UK will have 100 quid a month less, not 1pct less .................... oh, and, here is more on the new changes, from Manchester Guardian(you know, that paper what started up after the damnable Peterborough massacre raid by the dragoons) > http://www.guardian....olitics/welfare

PS,
my keypad is like on old Olivetti needing restoration in which my lil finger hits a key and it didnt register unless all the way down, so that line in my first post is really, 'most of you have thousands a month' , missed the s on the word :harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

In terms of the US "scroungers" those who are complaining within earshot of me are the ones complaining, not about not having enough to eat, but about not being able to buy beer and lottery tickets with their benefit money.

I hear young women planning pregnancies to get into our "council estates" to avoid having to listen to their parents, or to a man who wants them to behave a particular way.
In other words, much of what some see as benefits for needy are simply enabling mechanisms for those who have behavior and cognitive disorders.

The sense of entitlement occurs at the upper end as well, with law students suing their university because they can't get a well paying job as they thought they would.

There are no guarantees in life, and while those with less certainly suffer compared to those with more, I don't think "fairness" matters, if they are fed and kept out of the cold.

To quote Keynes:

Now it is true that the needs of human beings may seem to be insatiable. But they fall into two classes –those needs which are absolute in the sense that we feel them whatever the situation of our fellow human beings may be, and those which are relative in the sense that we feel them only if their satisfaction lifts us above, makes us feel superior to, our fellows. Needs of the second class, those which satisfy the desire for superiority, may indeed be insatiable; for the higher the general level, the higher still are they. But this is not so true of the absolute needs

It doesn't matter how the top 2% live, and when that is used as a justification for "More, please" we are misspending public money.

A classic example of this is a situation in which condoms were given to low income teenagers.
The complaints soon followed that the packaging wasn't "blingy" enough like a store bought product, and it didn't say "Magnum size" on the label.
After providing a legitimate need for contraception and disease prevention, positional goods aspects were mentioned as a complaint instead of "thanks for letting me screw more safely."
I view all complaints of the nature "but those guys over there have so much more in comparison" to be invalid.
Caring for those in genuine need should not insulate them from negative consequences of their choices.

Edited by DarthMarley, 02 April 2013 - 11:13 PM.

"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brits, 2013, austerity, conservatives, UK

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users