35 replies to this topic

#21 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Meanwhile, HufPo has an article on
International Topless Jihad Day

Edited by DarthMarley, 04 April 2013 - 06:18 PM.

"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#22 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

They did make nice signs, considering they were attending Mayor Mike Rawlings anti-domestic abuse rally.
About 5,000 people showed up for the event - the weather kept many away from the event.

Men of all ages and from all walks of life came to the rally. There were visible presences from the African American, Hispanic and Muslim communities, bolstered by the support of their churches or mosques.
http://cityhallblog....-by-10-a-m.html

As thousands of men gathered downtown Saturday to condemn domestic violence, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings vowed that the event would be a milestone in his crusade against abuse, not a victory lap.
http://www.dallasnew...lence-rally.ece

http://rhrealitychec...ts-our-problem/

I wonder if supporting the Muslim Brotherhood could be considered an endorsement of violence against women? Hmmm...seems much closer to the mark actually...

yep, I'd havta agree

#23 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

And in response to the Topless Jihad, http://stream.aljaze...4050033-0022659

#24 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostDarthMarley, on 04 April 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

While I don't hold extreme views regarding Obama as a person, my favorite Obama joke so far is "A Muslim, a Marxist, and an illegal immigrant walk into a bar. Bartender looks up and says 'Hello, Mr. President!'"

It took me a while, but I get it now.  The bartender is a blonde!   :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#25 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

View Postscherzo, on 04 April 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

I wonder if supporting the Muslim Brotherhood could be considered an endorsement of violence against women?

Or the Bible.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#26 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostNonny, on 05 April 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostDarthMarley, on 04 April 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

While I don't hold extreme views regarding Obama as a person, my favorite Obama joke so far is "A Muslim, a Marxist, and an illegal immigrant walk into a bar. Bartender looks up and says 'Hello, Mr. President!'"

It took me a while, but I get it now.  The bartender is a blonde!   :rolleyes:

Or maybe the bartender is Christopher Earl Strunk!
http://www.addicting...brooklyn-judge/

Brooklyn Judge Arthur Schack dismissed a lawsuit recently as “fanciful, delusional and irrational,” before fining the person that filed the lawsuit, Christopher Earl Strunk, a whopping $177,000 essentially for wasting everyone’s time.
Apparently Strunk has been the author of multiple lawsuits that resulted in dismissal before, making this somewhat of a pattern of his. This particular one listed the New York Board of Elections, President Barack Obama and others as defendants, and attempted to disqualify Barack Obama from presidential candidacy by establishing that he is not a citizen of the United States.
The result? Being mocked by a judge and in the media, not to mention a huge fine....

Wow, that is funny!    :lol:
Posted Image

#27 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

While I figured it isn't what you meant I can easily see your statement could have been read as that religious violence is more of a problem/importance than domestic violence... that it is being suggested that the the former problem needs to be fixed more than the latter.
Still not even close to an endorsement of violence against women though. Any idea how/why THAT particular leap was made by someone else?

Anyway…a fraternity taking to the streets to protest violence under the banner of their Muslim faith, should logically be addressing the daily murder and mayhem perpetrated by Islamic nutjobs. That would take considerably more courage and fortitude than showing up for the latest controversy-free stunt by a local politician. They might mean well, but there's an enormous amount of heavy lifting needed to rehabilitate their religion. This ain't cuttin' it.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#28 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostNonny, on 05 April 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I wonder if supporting the Muslim Brotherhood could be considered an endorsement of violence against women?

Or the Bible.
Supporting the Muslim Brotherhood could be considered an endorsement of The Bible? :dontgetit:
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#29 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Anyway…a fraternity taking to the streets to protest violence under the banner of their Muslim faith, should logically be addressing the daily murder and mayhem perpetrated by Islamic nutjobs. That would take considerably more courage and fortitude than showing up for the latest controversy-free stunt by a local politician. They might mean well, but there's an enormous amount of heavy lifting needed to rehabilitate their religion. This ain't cuttin' it.

Absolutely!

When I found that they attended a huge organized rally - having to go downtown with others of the same thinking. How easy it was for them to 'protest' and have their picture taken by a young Muslim woman for her blog. If they take a stand elsewhere and we see it on the news, that would say more.

#30 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postscherzo, on 05 April 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Or the Bible.
Supporting the Muslim Brotherhood could be considered an endorsement of The Bible? :dontgetit:

wHaT?

#31 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Likely to mean supporting "the bible" is an endorsement of violence against women, and it is a fair observation.
At least to some extent.
But such observations do nothing to mitigate the real harms done, and should not be used as diversion, or moral relativism.

#32 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Likely to mean supporting "the bible" is an endorsement of violence against women, and it is a fair observation.
A fairly ridiculous observation...based on what was quoted above it. The Muslim Brotherhood is an organization that's been documented to commit gang rape as a political weapon.(a crime not quite as horrible as opposing free birth control apparently) An Islamist religious/political movement, makes for a poor comparison to scripture. I get that leftists can't shake the reflex to smear Christianity whenever Islam comes under fire, but a less lazy analogy was called for here.
Posted Image

#33 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

View Postscherzo, on 05 April 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

A fairly ridiculous observation...based on what was quoted above it. The Muslim Brotherhood is an organization that's been documented to commit gang rape as a political weapon.(a crime not quite as horrible as opposing free birth control apparently) An Islamist religious/political movement, makes for a poor comparison to scripture. I get that leftists can't shake the reflex to smear Christianity whenever Islam comes under fire, but a less lazy analogy was called for here.

I would totally agree that at the present moment, Muslim literalists and cultural supremacists are a much greater threat to a woman's personal security than a Jew or Christian literalist.
But probably only in the sense that there is more cultural power behind those Muslims in their home culture.
But in terms of looking for silly religious imperatives, there are plenty in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Those who do not understand rhetoric and logic can dig up women molested and harassed by Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel, a recipient of much US financial support.
So we should be critical of that too, in order to take away a bad argument from our own political opponents.
And we should point out that the reflex to smear someone else  for their faults is not often a contribution to a meaningful discussion.
Tu quoque is not a reasoned response, ever.

#34 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

It's just heartening, as a woman, to know that domestic violence and abuse of women is on the wane to such an extent that
silly politicians and religious folks no longer need to waste their time rallying in support of women.  That is just freakin' awesome.  :D

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Postscherzo, on 05 April 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Or the Bible.

:insanosmile:   Seriously?   :howling:

View PostDarthMarley, on 05 April 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

At least to some extent.
But such observations do nothing to mitigate the real harms done, and should not be used as diversion, or moral relativism.

Thank you!  However, pastors who use the Bible to bully women beaten by their husbands into staying with their violent husbands are endorsing violence against women, no relativism there.
Posted Image

#36 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostNonny, on 06 April 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

Thank you!  However, pastors who use the Bible to bully women beaten by their husbands into staying with their violent husbands are endorsing violence against women, no relativism there.

Indeed.
I only recently came across the "Quiverfull" description of fundi xian women. I saw some interesting stuff from women who have escaped such lives.
The relativism comes in when we point to something else when someone complains about a thing.
I understand the negative reaction when complaining about the less humanist qualities of life under sharia leads to someone pointing out the weird social conditions of someone else somewhere else. Unless someone is getting their facts wrong, I find it harmless enough to stipulate the facts, and get back on topic.
Sure, other religions are "bad" too. How does that help?
Might it divert from facing a problem?

But, sometimes a diversion can be fun.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Quiverfull
http://www.patheos.c...-is-quiverfull/
http://www.alternet....reate-gods-army
http://brokendaughte...y/quiverfull-2/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, College fraternity, Muslim Fraternity, Domestic Violence, 2013

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users