#21 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostM.E., on 29 December 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

I just finished the binge, :D

What an emotional show!  I don't know how many tissues I went through but, I had to empty the little trash can beside my desk twice, :lol:''

I thought the Christmas Special wrapped the series up nicely but, at the end they announced that there will be a fourth season. YAY. :D

I know, so many emotions.  :happy:  And so many great lines, and stories.  :happy:

I so glad you enjoyed it!  :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 December 2014 - 12:38 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#22 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

PBS will begin airing season 4 tonight, at 8 pm (but check your local listings).  I know that is at the same time as OUAT, but they also rebroadcast it a couple times.  Again, check your local listings, but for me it's early Monday morning (5 am or so), and then I think 3 am Tuesday.  So record whichever works for you. :)

(And continue to check your listings, because the re-airing time may change after this week.  :) )

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#23 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

One more thing about call the midwife.  Although it deals with serious subject matters, it manages to never ever be dark.  There are things to make you cry, and laugh, and love, and think.  The sad things are dealt with in such a mature way, and the stories are so ... exceedingly ... human.  :humble:

Although I worry a little about what is coming up in season four.  There are articles where the cast talk about sobbing together on set.  So there might be something devastating on the way. :(        

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#24 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostM.E., on 29 December 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

I thought the Christmas Special wrapped the series up nicely but, at the end they announced that there will be a fourth season. YAY. :D

They have now ordered a fifth series, as well!  :D :D :D

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 29 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#25 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

I caught the season premiere. It was quite good, although, like Doctor Who, I only understood half of what they were saying.  :D  But it was interesting to see things like the discussion of breast milk and breastfeeding all the way back in 1961.  Many were the brochures and posters I made around the slogan "Breast Is Best."

And then there was the situation with all the children living in poverty, which was heartbreaking. It was nice to see them rescued from that and treated well for a while, but then it was revealed that they were separated and sent away to a place that was likely also not very nice.  These types of horrible social situations were part of my job, one way or another, for twenty two years.  I don't know about watching it on a TV show every week.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#26 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

The 2015 Christmas Special is on tonight!  :D

RJ, I'm sorry the first episode you tried was an upsetting one.  They usually have more of a balance between hope and despair, but that ep was a rough kickoff for the season.  

Season 4 episode two was a lot more positive overall.  (I realize I forgot to review it here.  I happened to discuss that one in a PM, and I forgot to also discuss it here. ;) )

Anyway, episode two was a really excellent episode.  Both by itself and as a follow up to episode one.  More filled with bittersweet, happy-sad moments.  More getting back in the swing of things, with the regular characters adjusting to changes, and settling into their new roles, getting used to newcomers and figuring out where they stand.  Plus some touching personal moments for the regulars.

Since the first episode was rather more intense than usual, and the second was much more balanced, I was very glad that I happened to save it and watch both together.  Two was a much better note to end on.  I was so glad in fact to watch them together, that I decided to save the rest of the season to binge.  And then I never got back to it.  ;)

So I won't be watching tonight's X-Mas special quite yet, until I finish binge watching season 4.  :cool:

But for anyone who is interesting in giving the show (another) try, this might be a good time!  :)  The Christmas special is usually fairly standalone, and with an extra emphasis on hope.  That is, there are still struggles, but there is more of a focus on coming together, supporting each other, and overcoming them.  :humble:

In fact I think the second Christmas special they made is one of the best episodes of the series.  :happy:

Happy viewing!  :D

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#27 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Well, it's good to know that it can be more positive. :nod:  I might try to catch the Christmas Special over the weekend.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#28 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

Season 5 starts airing on PBS tonight!!!  :woohoo:

Though, I will be taping the Tuesday 3am airing, as Sunday is the same time as OUAT.  ;)

I did binge-watch all of season 4 back in ... January?  And I took lots of notes so I could post reviews of all the episodes, but I never finished.  I will try to look at my notes and see if I can post it all this week, so that I can start watching the new eps.  :)

I might save them up to binge this time too, but I will try to post my past reviews anyway, for anyone who is watching live. :cool:

I will say that I expect season 5 to be difficult to watch.  Truth can be hard, but necessary, and possibly very educational for my generation.

You will know what I am talking about by the end of my season 4 reviews.  :(

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#29 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

^ I see I never got around to writing out my season 4 reviews, and I have also not watched season 5 yet.  :look:

But, the 2016 Christmas Special is on tonight!  (PBS in the US.)  I will be recording it for later.  :happy:

And, season 6 will air later in the spring, plus it has been renewed for seasons 7, 8, and 9!!!  :woohoo:  :lol:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#30 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

I live in Canada and have Shaw Cable, and in my city I can get PBS from both Spokane and Detroit, so I can time-shift if I like.  My husband is a big fan of this show and got me to watch it.  A lovely episode.

#31 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

I still haven't caught up, but I thought I should mention that season 6 has started airing.  Ep 2 airs tonight, on my schedule.  :D

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#32 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

An excellent episode.  Do get caught up.

#33 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

Call the Midwife Christmas special today!  PBS is airing it tonight.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#34 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

This show is a favorite of mine and my husband, as well as our daughter and her husband.

Edited by 3C273, 26 December 2017 - 01:13 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Call the Midwife, BBC, PBS, women, womens issues, drama

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users