Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Know any good books on post-Revolutionary China? (1950-pres)

China

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

In my Cold War days, I considered myself fairly conversant with the history of the PRC -- of course back then, that was only 1950-1980, and much of that was hypothesis and supposition. We're now a full 30 years past that span, and I've forgotten much of what I once knew, and I mistrust much of the rest. I'd like to revisit that era, to better understand the current socio-politico-economic situation.

Thanks in advance!

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

wow, hell; my LIB has tons; but I avoid like the plague, not my fave subject, mad at them just now yeah? but I'll note down four when I'm over there tomorrow.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

here is just a start-

this is just what was right there on the shelf, in my hand;
just think what else to add from Holds, Reserves, Orders?

Modern China, guide to a century of change
HUTCHINGS

Bitter revolution, China's struggle with the modern world
MITTER

Man who changed China, Jiang Zemin
KUHN

Feather in the Storm (memoir)
EMILY WU

Tiananmen Moon
CUNNINGHAM

If someone read just this involuntary list, not custom, not chosen, just one shelf,
before all the orders and holds, before going to the graduate library of the major university,
that someone can get a big picture of China after 1950 up to our times.
:harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well, there are certainly enough books in the library, but since I am only going to be reading one or two, I was hoping for suggestions of *good* ones, from people who'd read them. Oddly, every book cover seems to claims its book is outstanding, and few [on any subject] actually are.

--Orpheus "Judge a book by its cover? After Marketing gets hold of it, you're lucky to RECOGNIZE the book by its cover"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: China

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users