Batman: Arkham Origins Announced

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...igins-announced

Warner Bros. has announced the next title in the Batman: Arkham franchise will be Batman: Arkham Origins, currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.

It's currently slated for release on October 25 this year, but there's no mention of the game appearing on next-gen consoles.

The game, which is the subject of Game Informer's latest cover, will not be developed by Rocksteady Studios this time around, instead being worked on in-house at Warner Bros. Games Montreal.

I love the Arkham games so I'm thrilled a third one is on the way but wary that it's not Rocksteady making it. Why the sudden change of developers? I'm hoping that the change won't negatively impact the game. Though it will be hard to top Arkham City.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

It's worrying. I can't think of that many trilogies released lately that have had great third games (at least in comparison to the others). Both Uncharted 3 and Dead Space 3 were disappointments. Maybe Bioshock Infinite but I haven't played it yet.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

BioShock Infinite is excellent. Better than BioShock 2 on almost every level. And in many ways, I think it's better than the original BioShock.

This news about Arkham Origins is definitely worrisome. Hopefully the game will be on the same level as the previous two.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Auuughhhhhh! I still don't have 100% in Arkham City! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

Rocksteady has apparently cautiously come out in support of the new developers, but as with most in this thread I worry. Especially as I've seen what a change in producers, writers and creative staff can do to say, Gears 3 (compared to gears 2) or the mess that was the ending of Mass 3 (which I won't rehash here)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Rocksteady has apparently cautiously come out in support of the new developers, but as with most in this thread I worry. Especially as I've seen what a change in producers, writers and creative staff can do to say, Gears 3 (compared to gears 2) or the mess that was the ending of Mass 3 (which I won't rehash here)

I guess it's good that Rocksteady has come out in support. New developers aren't always a bad thing and can breathe new life into a series. I'm not sure about you, but I loved Gears 3. It had a teriffic plot, fleshed out characters, and finallt gave us playable female characters. But I'm in wait and see mode for Arkham: Origins.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 21 April 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

I guess it's good that Rocksteady has come out in support. New developers aren't always a bad thing and can breathe new life into a series.

Here's the article if you're interested

http://uk.ign.com/ar...am-origins-team

I'm not sure about you, but I loved Gears 3. It had a teriffic plot, fleshed out characters, and finallt gave us playable female characters.

I honestly disagree with every part of that. The plot was an absurd mishmash of actual plot and pointless fetch quests, the emphasis on new characters left virtually no time for Dom and Marcus until the formers contrived and pointless suicide, and If I'm going to be honest I couldn't care less about specific gendered characters in a game like Gears.

Mostly I detest virtually everything Karen Travis has ever written, but until she got her hands on Gears it didn't affect me a great deal since the other franchises she usually writes in are casual ones of mine. I was emotionally invested in the Gears universe until she came along and ruined everything I liked about it.

Having said all that, many people love Gears 3, and I'm quite happy for them to do so.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

Here's the article if you're interested

http://uk.ign.com/ar...am-origins-team

Thanks.

I honestly disagree with every part of that. The plot was an absurd mishmash of actual plot and pointless fetch quests, the emphasis on new characters left virtually no time for Dom and Marcus until the formers contrived and pointless suicide, and If I'm going to be honest I couldn't care less about specific gendered characters in a game like Gears.

I didn't feel that Dom and Marcus got shafted because of the new characters. Dom's sacrifice was pretty much the only way he was going to get peace and the best way for his character to go out, IMO. He had been searching for his wife, finally found her and saw that she was suffering and killed her. After that, it makes sense that he would rather die than go on living.

The main reason I liked female Gears being in the game was because of Claudia Black. I will support anything that gives her work.

Having said all that, many people love Gears 3, and I'm quite happy for them to do so.

I'm actually surprised to be in the majority opinion. Most of the time I love something and find out that everyone else hates it.

Have you played Judgement yet? I've never felt the need to pick it up and I haven't heard a lot of good things about it.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

oops.

Edited by enTranced, 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well, I decided to take a risk and preordered this game on Steam. The change in development team is certainly still worrisome. However, the game is still sounding and looking good despite that. Since I preordered, I'm getting the Deathstroke DLC pack along with the core game. I just hope WB Montreal pulls through.

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 September 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I keep forgetting that this is coming out soon. It's been flying under my radar. I haven't heard anything about it for a while now.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 DimitriKrevev

DimitriKrevev
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 12 April 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

http://hackerbot.net...cheats-trainers

Warner Bros. has announced the next title in the Batman: Arkham franchise will be Batman: Arkham Origins, currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.

It's currently slated for release on October 25 this year, but there's no mention of the game appearing on next-gen consoles.

The game, which is the subject of Game Informer's latest cover, will not be developed by Rocksteady Studios this time around, instead being worked on in-house at Warner Bros. Games Montreal.

I love the Arkham games so I'm thrilled a third one is on the way but wary that it's not Rocksteady making it. Why the sudden change of developers? I'm hoping that the change won't negatively impact the game. Though it will be hard to top Arkham City.

The game just got released and its as awesome as everyone thought :)

You will simply NEVER guess who the black mask is^^

It will simply blow your nerdy mind^^

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostDimitriKrevev, on 26 October 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

The game just got released and its as awesome as everyone thought :)

You will simply NEVER guess who the black mask is^^

It will simply blow your nerdy mind^^
Obviously it's Oliver Queen! (Kidding! I actually have no clue who it is yet.)

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

I never figured that Black Mask's identity would be all that much of a surprise. There's only been two people using the name Black Mask in the comics as far as I'm aware, so I thought it would be one of those. Huh. Curiosity piqued.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users