#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Spoilers

17781_485642944824538_1501092907_n.jpg

Gold elists David's aid in trying to restore Belle's memories.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 lurker

lurker
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

That was a little disturbing. 'Belle' liked Rumpelstiltskin because there was good in  him, but 'Lacey' likes Mr. Gold because there's bad in him. I was hoping Gold would eventually redeem himself, but there doesn't seem to be much incentive for that at the moment.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think they didn't need to hit people over the head with the multiple instances of Lacey repeating phrases spoken by Belle in the flashbacks.  I liked the way they used Robin Hood without introducing him as a new player in Storybrook which is already suffering from too many characters.

I think Regina's plan may have backfired.
Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I liked how they used those repeated phrases ironically to underline the mirrored relationship between Gold and Belle/Lacy.  I wonder where they will take this.

And I think this is the first we've seen of Belle's cursed personality. I wonder if we'll get a flashback showing how she went from bar babe to psych patient.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well I liked Lacey's look in that blue dress and all Regina did was throw a monkey wrench into the works and I think she succeeded.This whole season though has suffered from too many subplots IMO.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 22 April 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

I liked how they used those repeated phrases ironically to underline the mirrored relationship between Gold and Belle/Lacy.  I wonder where they will take this.

And I think this is the first we've seen of Belle's cursed personality. I wonder if we'll get a flashback showing how she went from bar babe to psych patient.

IIRC Gold thought Belle was dead before the curse was unleashed in Fairy Tale Land. But in actuality Regina somehow (can't recall how) got her hands on Belle and locked her up in Fairy Tale Land, as potential leverage against Rumple.

So that would lead to Regina having to ensure that Belle/Lacy was not walking around town for Gold to come across (while everyone except her was supposed to loose their pre-curse memories she, understandably, never trusted Gold and thought, rightfully, that he had kept his memories). So Regina continued keeping her locked-up. I suspect that Lacy is the personality/memories Regina implanted in Belle for Storybrooke (had to put something in her noggin) and it looks like, co-incidentally or otherwise, she may have put something in there that might justify a psych lock-up....

So, as far as I can tell, anything that changed her from bar babe to psych patient probably was part of her Storybrooke backstory that never actually happened. Like say all the Storybrooke character's childhoods and teenage years (if they recall one). Or Mary Margaret's 'time' at teacher's college. Or David's courtship and wedding to whats-her-name. Or a majority of the town voting for Regina for Mayor in the last election ;)

Edited by sierraleone, 22 April 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

That's true.  Regina couldn't risk Gold catching sight of her. Of course, he wasn't likely to frequent the same sort of establishment.  But then, Rumpy was the one who came up with the curse, so she couldn't very well ask him to arrange for her to be an inpatient. Maybe there was a close call early on and Regina had her locked up.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 April 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

That's true.  Regina couldn't risk Gold catching sight of her. Of course, he wasn't likely to frequent the same sort of establishment.  But then, Rumpy was the one who came up with the curse, so she couldn't very well ask him to arrange for her to be an inpatient. Maybe there was a close call early on and Regina had her locked up.

But a lot of people go to Gold when their desperate I imagine (though how often would that happen when the town was essential stuck is hard to say, but I am sure some of their Storybrooke backstories mention it). Considering the trouble Lacy could get into I could see her needing to go to a character like Gold :D

From my impression about their previous conversations about the curse is that he was the architect for it, but Regina, as the curse implementer, was the interior designer.... He laid out the foundations, but she laid out all the decor, their functions and places and relationships with one another. Other than Gold's place/role, since that was part of the deal (Gold the most powerful in town after Regina, and Regina can't say no to him).

He seemed genuinely surprised to learn Belle was alive, so if he could have had more of a role in the particulars/minutia he probably wasn't all that interested beyond his own place in it.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

From my impression about their previous conversations about the curse is that he was the architect for it, but Regina, as the curse implementer, was the interior designer.

Great analogy, sierra!
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Once Upon a Time, Once Upon a Time: Season 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users