• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

(shrug)

It all comes down to execution -- both the practical and the virtual treatments rise and fall on how they are filmed and directed.  And I've found instances where both practical and CGI depictions flubbed being consistent in scale.

I think my biggest gripe with CGI, all starting with Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is that the purely CGI battles all too often come to resemble video games and leads to all kinds of implausible acts being executed without regards to practicability.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#62 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostG-man, on 22 July 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Well, part of the idea behind up-scaling Godzilla was the fact that the urban landscapes in Japan had so grown since the 1950's that they dwarfed the original 45m Godzilla, and the director wanted Godzilla to still dominate the cityscape.  The drawback though is that as you upscale Godzilla, the models et al. must be downsized to the point where one simply won't get the level of detail in the buildings and model work that was evident in the earlier films.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

The Showa Godzilla was 50 meters, the '84-'89 version was 80 meters, the problem was with the city sets, the bigger they made Godzilla the lower the quality of the sets and in HD they did start to look pretty bad. The Millenium Godzillas were smaller and the sets were better as a result.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#63 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I guess I never payed much attention to Godzilla's size. I know he grew in GvKG but it wasn't something where I immediately noticed that he was taller than he was in the previous two Heisei era movies.

But it was a wild movie with the first use of time travel in the history of the series. Whatever logic problems are brought up because of this movie in Space Godzilla and Destroyer is the fault of those movies, this movie would set up events to come.

While I agree those movies shoulder some of the blame, let's not let this movie off the hook. The whole time travel plan was flawed and made no sense and really wasn't thought out past, "Let's use this as an excuse to make Godzilla bigger!"

I also love that poster for the film. It's really cool.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#64 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 24 July 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

I guess I never payed much attention to Godzilla's size. I know he grew in GvKG but it wasn't something where I immediately noticed that he was taller than he was in the previous two Heisei era movies.

But it was a wild movie with the first use of time travel in the history of the series. Whatever logic problems are brought up because of this movie in Space Godzilla and Destroyer is the fault of those movies, this movie would set up events to come.

While I agree those movies shoulder some of the blame, let's not let this movie off the hook. The whole time travel plan was flawed and made no sense and really wasn't thought out past, "Let's use this as an excuse to make Godzilla bigger!"

I also love that poster for the film. It's really cool.

There's dialogue in the movie stating that the new Godzilla is bigger than the old one because it was made with modern nuclear weapons and really unless you know the behind the scenes info about the size of Godzilla. And I agree it's a flawed storyline and I pointd out some of the flaws that appeared to me, but it was still a highly entertaining movie for me.

Robert Scott Field who played the M-11 robot was interviewed in G-Fan some time ago and he said that the director didn't like Chuck Wilson the guy who played Wilson because he didn't like taking direction. And he said that Anna Nakagawa who played Emmy was a babe when she was drunk. :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, kaiju

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users