#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,2639050.story
Watch: Astronaut wrings out washcloth in space, and it's stunning

What happens when you wring a sopping wet washcloth out in space?
Well, here's a hint: It's much more interesting than what happens here on Earth.
This week, commander Chris Hadfield, an astronaut aboard the International Space Station, demonstrated what happens when you get a washcloth soaking in space and then wring it out.
The experiment, called "Wring It Out" was designed by two 10th-graders in Nova Scotia. Kendra Lamke and Meredith Hatfield won a contest sponsored by the Canada Space Agency to come up with an experiment for an astronaut to perform in micro-gravity.
The two students hypothesized that in space....

Just watch.   :D  

I love it when kids get such a great payoff for being smart and inquisitive.   :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, I watched this a week or so ago :D

It is hard to get away from this Canadian commander in Canadian news at the moment ;)

Edited by sierraleone, 02 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

That's cool.  Definitely not what I expected.  Those are a couple of smart kids.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Space Oddity

Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

That is fantastic. :D  I just added it to my list of favorites.  :happy:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Here's another: crying in space   :cry:

Posted Image

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Uh oh. If you cry long enough in space, the blob of tears would envelope your face and you would drown. :mellow:

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Chris Hadfield is being talked about on NPR as I post!  Will post a link when it's available!

"It's just too good an experience to keep to yourself."   :happy:
Posted Image

#9 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 05 May 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

That's cool.  Definitely not what I expected.  Those are a couple of smart kids.  :lol:

Nor me ; I expected it to float off in big drops,not to run along his hand like the creature in "The Blob"!

Dave.

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

http://www.npr.org/2...llent-adventure
Astronaut Chris Hadfield's Most Excellent Adventure

Chris Hadfield went from feeling truly sublime to faintly ridiculous this week.
He landed after spending 146 days in space, most as commander of the International Space Station. But, he says, as soon as his Soyuz plonked down on the soil of Kazakhstan, "I could feel the weight of my lips and tongue and had to change how I was talking. I didn't realize I had learned to talk with a weightless tongue."..

"It's part of our humanity to be in space," he wrote in Russian, and just before plunging back into Earth's atmosphere, he said, in French and English, "I came here on behalf of so many people — thank you." Which is why, said Chris Hadfield, it was important for him to send back messages: "It's just too good an experience to keep to yourself."
Chris Hadfield's Most Excellent Space Mission reminded us, in a way, of something human beings can do in space that, so far, machines can't: be amazed.

Posted Image

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

That's what it's all about.  Amazement.  Appreciating this crazy universe we live in.  :lol:

View PostJudasRimmer, on 19 May 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Nor me ; I expected it to float off in big drops,not to run along his hand like the creature in "The Blob"!  
Exactly.  Maybe if he squeezed it harder.  :D

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

A good guy in so many ways.   :)   http://www.dailykos....to-new-frontier
Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield headed to new frontier

In announcing his retirement, he's keeping a long held promise to his wife:

"The resignation means that Hadfield will finally return to Canadian soil. The astronaut has been living in Houston, Texas since his days as a fighter pilot in the 1980s.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper greets Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield at 24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa June 10. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
"[I'll be] making good on a promise I made my wife nearly 30 years ago — that yes, eventually, we would be moving back to Canada," Hadfield said."

:happy:

Posted Image

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Good for him.  Maybe he'll release an album. He'll also be able to guest star on pretty much every sci fi show in production. :D

#14 mare serenitatis

mare serenitatis

magog with a migraine

• Islander
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

here is another experiment in space with an effervescent tablet. Surface tension is one of nature's coolest inventions!

http://winfuture.de/...ugel-14886.html
A hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canada Space Agency, contest

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users