#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Spoilers

71434_487844221271077_1787009116_n.jpg

Emma. David and Mary do looking for Regina to find the missing magic beans. And young Bae goes to Neverland.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well if Gold believes that that Bae is dead for sure then he won't have much in the way of hesitation in taking Henry out ;) Then he could live 'happily ever after' with Belle/Lacy.

This group that keeps destroying magic as it comes across into our world... In addition to possibly being religious nuts .... Are they they the descendants (and associates) of Wendy and/or other literary characters/people that have had bad experiences with magic/other dimensions? Tamara seemed to know more about Neil, so I assume the group some how has heard (or even had direct connections) with Bae. Wendy would seem obvious, but with how long-lived Neil is he certainly could have come across other Earth-people, in other magical circumstances, in his travels.

They seemingly went rather dark with Never Never Land. The lost boys do not appear to be orphans but rather kids that are spirited away with a promise of magic and adventure and then kept against their will. Presumably forever if they never grow old. Which would make orphans of them eventually ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, I was wondering what they want those kids for.  :unsure:

It's possible that Wendy and her siblings started the organization, but I was wondering if it might have been their parents. Once the shadow lost Bae, he probably went back and took the rest of the kids.  I have a feeling we'll be seeing Wendy and company again.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I cringed when Tamara used magic to get away.  Talk about talking out of the side of your own mouth.  Magic doesn't belong in that world, but it's OK to use magic to escape?  Really?  So, when you use magic [Tamara] you aren't evil, but when Regina does, it's a killing offense?  I know it was a lazy way to get Neil back to Neverland, and I resent the use of the character of Tamara.  She might be evil, but she had some principles at least.  Well, until she stole the magic beans and then used one herself.  So much for the evil of magic in that world, and oh yeah, Neil goes straight back to Neverland and Emma is all "I'm in love, and next season searches for him.   OK OK I get it.  It's still lazy writing imo.

This hits on the one writing glitch of SciFi/Fantasy writing in episodic TV.  No matter what, we keep getting a bigger "Big Bad".  And the organization to stop magic in the real world, is as cliche as the organization to kill all immortals was in Highlander:  The Series.  It just is so painfully last century.  I rolled my eyes, literally, as soon as I heard the dialog come out of the mouths of those two weirdo.

I don't need a bigger bad, bigger than Regina in this case, to be able to have sympathy for Regina and hope for her redemption.  I don't need a bigger bad to know she is the Evil Queen, or that Gold is evil.  Introducing some outside, Big bad, is also lazy writing imo.  

All that said  and complained about, I loved the episode.  You'd never know it by the above, but I really did.  I like the dark take on Neverland quite a bit.  Now that is an evil that I think is GREAT writing.  It's such an interesting take on the Peter Pan story.

I liked that Regina was still able to get one last evil grin in about her killing the father.  Now that's a character that really understands pain, and it's not the physical kind that is the most evil.

I don't know where the whole Gold/Lacy story is going, but I'm fascinated by it and with Emile de Raven's acting on this show.  She is really spectacular.

I also did not miss the missing characters.  I liked the focus of this episode and the pace.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

While I agree with Cait about Tamera, her actions didn't bother me as much she seems to be some kind fundamentalist so her actions weren't all that surprising. Emma holding on to Bae as he went into the wormhole was deja'vu for me and I have no problem with a quest next season to find him. But I am getting alittle tired of Lacy she's certainly sexier than Belle, but the whole bad girl act is a pretty old one.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well, this is a problem when you're doing sequential - if not serialized - storytelling on TV.

With each renewel (or sequel) it seems that the writers want to top themselves, as opposed to exploring the status quo and all the intrigues occurring therein, thereby deepening the characters and evolving their relationships to each other in their struggles.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

^^  Yes, the one-upmanship can quickly lead to shark jumping.

I don't have a problem with Tamara using the magic beans.  She definitely comes across as a fundamentalist, so hypocrisy is not surprising.  They also plan to use the magic crystal to destroy Storybrooke.  I'm sure they can justify it as fighting fire with fire or whatever.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Once Upon a Time, Once Upon a Time: Season 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users