11 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Spoilers

Pete and Claudia investigate a series of murders involving a radical environmentalism group.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Well, for the most part things are back to business as usual at the Warehouse. The Regents decide not to punish Artie because he was being controlled by the Astrolabe and no punishment they could think of would be worse than the guilt Artie feels over his actions. It was a nice twist that the evil Artie will have to live with for the rest of his life is his actions, and not some big bad out to make his life hell.

I couldn't help but think that we should have seen Leena doing all of the things that Artie is now trying to do since she's gone. We always knew she was the caretaker of the Warehouse but it was never really shown. I did like that we saw how objects get placed in the Warehouse, and what happens when an object gets placed in the wrong position. I love the spiral room and it makes sense that Steve would take over placing the objects since he is the most calm agent they have.

The plot with Pete and Claudia tracking down the radicals wasn't great because it was pretty predictable. Of course it was the ranger who was killing people and of course it was the girl who had turned in the ranger's brother. It somewhat redeemed itself by dovetailing nicely with Artie's plight. The radicals were paying for what they did in the past, just like Artie. Also, just like Artie, they had the best of intentions but ended up with bad results.

I'm glad that the emotional plots were advanced. Artie is still reeling from what he's done but is trying to get back into the groove of things. Claudia should be letting go of her guilt over stabbing Artie since she and him talked it out. The others don't blame Artie for what he did and seem fine with working with him. It feels like a subtle reset, but I get that they want to get the status quo back in place. At least Leena is staying dead. While I was happy that Steve was brought back, it's nice to see them killing a character and keeping that character dead with no possibility of a resurrection. Or at least as close to no possibillty as we are going to get.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, a pretty good one in terms of the emotional arcs, though I'm so tired of the way the crisis-of-the-week guest stars always just happen to be going through things that resonate perfectly with whatever character arcs the leads are going through in that particular week. It's one of the most annoying conceits of the case-of-the-week/serialized-character-arc hybrid format that most shows use these days.

Also, it bugs me that they never explained the origin of the lantern artifact. Why would a lantern cause cave-ins? I'm guessing it's some kind of miners' lantern, maybe one that was recovered from an infamous cave-in, but that was never spelled out. A focus on the character arcs is all well and good, but this show shouldn't get too casual about the artifacts that are its core premise.

Otherwise, my main problem is that the opening scene was so fantastic and dramatic and powerful that the rest of the episode felt like an anticlimax. Although I did like it that Artie's way of coping with what he did was to take over Leena's responsibilities, to try to make amends by filling the void. That struck me as a very healthy way of coping, though I guess it was also a way of avoiding what he was feeling, and not something he was equipped to do alone. It was pretty easy to guess that the feng shui circle was sensing his sorrow rather than the artifact's.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I think this is the first time we haven't learned about the origin of the artifact and what inspired its special properties. That seemed a major break with the formula, and not an effective one.  There was plenty of babling in the plot about the radicals to squeeze in an explanation of the lantern.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well, it's not Diogenes' lantern, I know that!  :lol:

Maybe it just got left on the cutting-room floor, since there was so much else going on.

I liked the episode. It was sad watching Artie wandering around with Leena's list and ultimately watching her video. And the touching moment between Artie and Claudia was perfect-- "That's all."  :lol:  And I have no problem with the artifact adventure dovetailing with Claudia's character arc-- stories are written to have structure and meaning.

Pete was also in good form, showing off his expertise on Yogi Bear, Metallica and Thoreau.  "Six years of college."  :lol:  He was also eloquent in his defense of Artie.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

I liked it, despite its flaws with the procedural part. Pete and Claudia make a good team, and, even though it might not resonate well with the Myka/Pete shippers, I'd like to see more of that dynamic. Pete and Myka are getting a tad old for me, so this was a nice change of pace.

One thing that was especially nice, and many of you might have missed due to TV's handling of end credits: I watched the episode from iTunes, which, of course, has the end credits attached. Normally, there's a variation of the "Warehouse 13" theme playing through them, but not this time. After Artie apologizes to Leena, and the theme plays in this beautiful piano lament version in the background, the end credits appear, and there's just silence. I liked that a lot. Too often the end credits with the normal music (or the trailer for the next episode if you watch it on TV) ruin a mood at the end of a show (but it's maybe also done to soften the blow of harsh endings, guiding people back to real life with some more uplifting music at the end), but here, the silence, and with it, the sorrow of Artie had much more of an impact, and gave it more meaning.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 08 May 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

"Myka/Pete shippers?" Have they seen the show? These guys are like brother and sister. The idea of them having a romance borders on the incestuous. It's offensive.

I get so sick of some kinds of shippers, the way they don't care about who the characters really are and how they really relate but just willfully ignore reality in favor of their bizarre fantasies. I remember that decades ago in one of the Best of Trek volumes collecting Star Trek fanzine articles, there was an essay by Kendra Hunter complaining about fanfiction authors who made characters behave grossly out of character in order to fit the stories they wanted to tell. The term Hunter used was "characterization rape." I think that term itself is in rather poor taste, but it illustrates the critic's point that such writing violated and undermined characters rather than celebrating them, and I feel similarly about some kinds of shipper factions. You're not really showing any fondness for a character if you want them to behave in a way that's totally contrary to who they are. That's not affection, it's pure self-centeredness. I guess that's part of the reason for the rape analogy Hunter used: because it's about using characters to serve your own desires without any regard for the characters themselves.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

^^  It's a perfectly valid analogy and unfortunately far from rare-- there are Sam and Dean shippers, for crying out loud.  :lol:  To be fair, of course, a lot of shippers understand that they are fantasizing and don't really expect it to happen on the show.

View PostLambsilencer, on 08 May 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

One thing that was especially nice, and many of you might have missed due to TV's handling of end credits: I watched the episode from iTunes, which, of course, has the end credits attached. Normally, there's a variation of the "Warehouse 13" theme playing through them, but not this time. After Artie apologizes to Leena, and the theme plays in this beautiful piano lament version in the background, the end credits appear, and there's just silence. I liked that a lot. Too often the end credits with the normal music (or the trailer for the next episode if you watch it on TV) ruin a mood at the end of a show (but it's maybe also done to soften the blow of harsh endings, guiding people back to real life with some more uplifting music at the end), but here, the silence, and with it, the sorrow of Artie had much more of an impact, and gave it more meaning.
That's great. I think they've really given Leena's death the weight that it deserved, unlike other shows that kill off major characters right and left as a gimmick. It shows how much integrity the creators have.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Lots of fanfic writers use characters to enact their own sexual fantasies and know that they are not in accord with what's actually in the text. (Some are of course downright delusional but not the majority.) I don't really see the harm.  I'm sure some people watch a Shakespeare play and then get off on ideas like Hamlet and Horatio being lovers at school or Lady Macbeth once having an affair with King Duncan. Writing down these fantasies to share with others of like mind may take them beyond the realm of private erotic pleasure and invite more censure from some but, again, I'm cool with it. Others' MMV.

I've heard the term "character rape" (not "characterization") thrown around a lot, both in fanfic discussions and on fansites where some development or other with the characters by their own canon authors seems an abrupt departure from the way the character started out. Everyone has a right to feel how they feel about what others write about characters they love. I just think there's too much discussion in fandom that judges and demeans those who get their kicks from imagining something that doesn't float our own boat. I would hasten to add that EI is much less extreme than some of the bile that gets tossed around on other sites.

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

^What people do in their own fanfiction is up to them, of course. What I find annoying is when they ask for or expect their out-of-character fantasies to show up in canon on the actual show. Like all the Middleman fans who kept asking the producers when MM and Wendy would sleep together even though it was obvious to anyone who paid the least bit of attention to the characters that MM was a surrogate father for Wendy and was deeply in love with Lacey. There's a big difference between having a fantasy and expecting that fantasy to happen for real.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

^^The latter were the people I was calling delusional. The comments about "character rape" often thrown about imply that anyone who ships a couple obviously not destined to happen in canon are similarly deluded.

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well, I was just referencing that as an analogy for my feelings about the real issue I was discussing.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users