Cloning + Genetic Engineering.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

OK, cloning is possible, albeit the clone has all the flaws (and wear and tear) that the original does (that is, IIRC from the Dolly experiments).

We've also mapped the human genome, and identified some triggers and particular segments which are connected to certain traits and/or conditions.

Now, my thinking is, genetic engineering consists of tinkering with a person's DNA so that the off-spring of that person can inherit the changes made; but no matter the changes in the coding, that individual would remain with all the characteristics that he had before the tinkering process.

My question is, if you got someone's DNA, then tweaked it to design, would a clone then grown from that sample exhibit the changes that were made in the DNA, or would it simply be a copy of the pre-tweaked subject whose offspring would inherit the new traits?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users