Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What's on rotation via your computer screen currently?

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#201 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Finished up the Spider-man DLC.  Did everything in those except the final Screwball chase.  It looked like it was going to be a pain, and when I saw on youtube that there were drones, it was an immediate "nope".  Having to shoot down the drones in the mandatory jet chase was bad enough.  Wasn't worth it for the satisfaction of seeing her caught.  They always get free again anyway. :p    I didn't mind the other Screwball challenges, mostly.  They were a hassle, but none of them took me more than two or three times, max.   The first DLC when Peter was realizing he might be the Cat's baby-daddy was a hoot.  He and MJ handled it well, all things considered.   And I really can't wait for a sequel now, hopefully with Miles as a playable character for some of it, and presumably tying into the Harry Osborn revelations.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#202 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

I was finally able to finish it as well. I don't have as much time for gaming at the moment.

I thought this was a really good way to handle DLC. It felt like an actual extension of the game rather than just random new missions. A lot of good character work was done in these DLC packs, especially with Yuri. I am interested to see what happens to her in the next game now since she has started killing bad guys.

The Screwball challenges were annoying but I'm glad we had them because I was able to get enough challenge tokens to unlock everything I wanted. The final Screwball chase was supremely annoying and I had to attempt it multiple times before I was able to catch it. Sadly, catching her wasn't very rewarding considering how annoying and troublesome she had been throughout the game.

I'm also looking forward to the sequel and the continuation of the main story, especially if we do get to play as Miles in his Spider-Man costume, though I wonder what name they will give him in the game.

Yeah, the bit about where Peter thought he might be a dad was hilarious. Like you I thought MJ and Peter handled it well, all things considered.

I have to say, I did enjoy Spider-Man even though I don't think it was as amazing as a lot of other people did. It basically refined the game play mechanics from earlier Spider-Man games and took advantage of next gen tech to make it look stunning. Where I think the game really soared was the story. The main story line was completely engaging and Doc Ock's origin was sad. I felt for him even as he was doing horrible things.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#203 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

I bought two new games, Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts III.

RE:2 is more similar to the original than I was expecting. I thought it might take a page out of the newer RE games when it came to some of the game play mechanics but it retains some of that old school feel.

To start with, the game is divided between two play-thrus: Leon's and Claire's. If you play as Leon first you play as Claire after you beat the game as Leon and I'm guessing play the game slightly different. This was how the original was played but I thought that this new one might have players switch between characters at certain intervals.

The typewriter has also returned as a method of saving your game, though you no longer have to carry any ribbon. The game does auto-save at certain points but in other RE games you could save more or less whenever.

Inventory is also extremely limited, though I have found a puch that gave me two more slots. I certainly can't carry as much as I would like.

Still, this all works in the game's favor because this is a return to survival horror. Leon (I am playing as him the for the first run) is trapped alone in a giant building full of zombies and other creatures. It shouldn't be easy.

I have found a decent amount of bullets for my gun but zombies are bullet sponges, even with head shots. That did annoy me because I felt getting two or three head shots should have been enough to kill a zombie but they shrug that off. Usually they will fall down after being shot once or twice so I move in and stab them with my knife to finish them off.

The zombies look great and are gory and disgusting. Not only that, but they will follow you even if you move into a new room. They will push open doors if they can. It adds to the fear and tension because nowhere is safe.

A new feature that also adds to the fear and tension is the addition of windows on the ground floor that zombies can break open and crawl through. There are wood panels you can pick up to cover those windows but until you have enough of them zombies can and will get through.

The game itself looks amazing. The graphics are phenomenal. The police station is gorgeous and terrifying, especially the parts where the lights don't work and there are signs of the terrible things that have happened all around.

I'm only  afew hours in but RE:2 is shaping up to be a great game. Truly a worthy remake of the original.

KH:III has, so far, been worth the wait. I just wish I had bought and played the re-mastered versions because it has been so long since I've played the other games in the series that I am realizing how much I have forgotten. The game does have an optional recap you can watch and characters in-game have given summaries of what has gone on but it is definitely information overload.

The opening few hours are great and not the slog that the opening to KH:II was. Here Sora, who has lost most of his abilities and powers, goes to Olympus to get help from Hercules on how to reclaim his strength. He arrives just as Hades unleashes the Titans. Sora, Donald, and Goofy have to help Hercules defeat the Titans and save Olympus. It is a great opening that re-introduces the characters and concepts while also introducing the new game play elements, of which there are a lot.

Dual wielding Keyblades is gone but the weapons now have a second form that can be activated and that do different things. The magic Keyblade turns into two guns that shoot arrows and other magic bolts. The Keybladeyou get from Olympus turns into a shield and then calls down a chariot from which you can throw lightning bolts.

Combat is a little more freeflow, with Sora able to run up walls, slide around polls, swing from tree branches, etc. Donald and Goofy also have partner abilities that activate during battle. Instead of Summons, you can activate Attractions, which are based on popular Disney World rides like the pirate ship, tea cups, etc. They can be pretty powerful, actually.

It has kept the combat pretty entertaining. It also helps that a lot of different enemy types have been thrown at me already, so I'm not just fighting the same baddies over and over.

The first major new world I've gone to is Toy Story. It is actually set in between the movies, with most of the toys having disappeared and the rest being attacked by the Heartless. Sora and the gang arrive and offer to help. They team up with Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, and the army men and go to a giant toy store. It was great. It is a three level store with plenty of shops to enter. Sora can also take control of these battle bots call Gigas.

The main story is okay. It is definitely the main story of the last entry in a long running franchise so there is a lot of call backs to the other games and again I wish I had played them before this one. Still, it hasn't really gripped me yet and Sora's reason for adventuring again is nebulous.

That one bad thing aside, this game has been an absolute blast and has so far been everything I wanted from the final KH game.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#204 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

I decided to buy the PS4 edition of Kingdom Hearts I and II (which also includes the handheld games). I am playing the first KH right now. I forgot how good and frustrating this game was. The game play is still great and seeing the interaction between the various Disney and Final Fantasy characters is always fun. It does make me realize that no FF characters have appeared in KHIII, which is sad.

The game is frustrating because it doesn't hold your hand at all. It doesn't really tell you where you need to go next or what you need to do to achieve an objective. It is basically just a lot of trial and error. For instance, during the Tarzan level you have to randomly enter the tent and then leave it to activate a cut scene and progress in the story but nothing tells you this is what is needed.

Still, I am happy to be playing the game again.

It was just announced that Assassin's Creed:III, the remastered edition, would be released at the end of March. That makes me happy. I liked AC:III (even though I didn't finish it) and the whole North American trilogy (AC:III, AC: Black Flag, and AC: Rogue) so getting to play it again with new graphics and tweaked game play mechanics is a dream come true.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#205 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

I finished Kingdom Hearts. It is a great, if somewhat flawed, game. I remember all of the worlds being larger than they actually were. I think part of that is all of the back tracking you have to do and the maze like quality a lot of the levels have. Still, the game is great and I enjoyed my time with it.

I am now working on Kingdom Hearts II. (I did start to play Re: Chain of Memories but the card based game play frustrated the heck out of me). I am loving it so far. I only played it once so it is like playing the game for the first time. It does have a slow beginning as you play as Roxas instead of Sora and it takes about 2-3 hours to gain control of Sora and learn all the the new mechanics and to be let loose on the worlds.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#206 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

LOL... that Roxas section was only 2-3 hours?  My only lasting memory of that game is feeling like I'd been trapped in that town for weeks because I hit a point where I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go and was just running back and forth and back and forth trying to figure out how to trigger the next event.   (Also, being very frustrated at some timed trial thing in that section...  skateboarding, was it?).

For some reason, I'm having trouble getting myself ramped up to play Kingdom Hearts III... my gaming mojo has been rather low, in general, the past month.  I did play and finish Valkyria Chronicles 4, but it took me 6 weeks for what probably should have taken two.  It was a pretty good game... I enjoyed the story of this one a lot more than the first game (the characters felt a little less trite, maybe?) but no major upsets in how the game played, so they hadn't "broken" the gameplay the way I gather they did in the handheld versions.

Currently, I'm mostly just poking at Thronebreaker - the "story mode" for CD Projekt Red's "Gwent" game.  I haven't played the main Gwent game yet, because I'm not really a fan of playing with real people, but I'm enjoying Thronebreaker.   They've changed the rules for Gwent compared to how it's played in Witcher 3, and many of the games in Thronebreaker are scripted events with special rules, but it's still a satisfying game.  Reminds me of back in the old days... the first PC game I ever played for Magic: The Gathering was something like this... a sort of mini-adventure-game where the combat was done via games of Magic.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#207 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Had to quit Thronebreaker because the thing crashed like crazy, and I got to one point where I played the same "boss battle" five times and it crashed at the end of the fight every time, so I finally gave up.  :p

Currently playing "Tales of Xillia 2", which I've apparently had sitting at the bottom of my "to be played" pile for so long that I forgot it was a PS3 game.  Had a couple confused moments when my PS4 wouldn't recognize the disk.  :)  Pretty standard JRPG tropes, but it's entertaining enough.

#208 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

LOL... that Roxas section was only 2-3 hours?  My only lasting memory of that game is feeling like I'd been trapped in that town for weeks because I hit a point where I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go and was just running back and forth and back and forth trying to figure out how to trigger the next event.   (Also, being very frustrated at some timed trial thing in that section...  skateboarding, was it?).

Same here. The first time I played KHII it felt like that opening section lasted forever. I just wanted to play as Sora and team up with Donald and Goofy again. There were several timed events at the start where you have to earn money. It was annoying.

For some reason, I'm having trouble getting myself ramped up to play Kingdom Hearts III... my gaming mojo has been rather low, in general, the past month.  I did play and finish Valkyria Chronicles 4, but it took me 6 weeks for what probably should have taken two.  It was a pretty good game... I enjoyed the story of this one a lot more than the first game (the characters felt a little less trite, maybe?) but no major upsets in how the game played, so they hadn't "broken" the gameplay the way I gather they did in the handheld versions.

I have been liking it but it has been hard for me to really get into it, mainly because I didn't remember anything of the previous games and I hadn't played the auxiliary games.

Had to quit Thronebreaker because the thing crashed like crazy, and I got to one point where I played the same "boss battle" five times and it crashed at the end of the fight every time, so I finally gave up.  :p

Currently playing "Tales of Xillia 2", which I've apparently had sitting at the bottom of my "to be played" pile for so long that I forgot it was a PS3 game.  Had a couple confused moments when my PS4 wouldn't recognize the disk.  :)  Pretty standard JRPG tropes, but it's entertaining enough.

I can't believe it crashed that many times. That is terrible.

Lol at the PS3 game in the PS4. At least you still have a PS3 to play it on.

I am working on Kingdom Hearts II but also started Devil May Cry 5. I still haven't finished Resident Evil 2, either. I want to play the games but don't have the time right now. I thought I would over Spring Break but that didn't happen thanks to family drama.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#209 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

I got Far Cry 5. I'm liking it. So far I think it is better than 4 but not as good as 3. I do like that the towers are gone. Here you reveal the map by actually exploring it. My one complaint is that the main character, the Deputy, is silent. He (or she) has no personality which sucks. What I loved about FC3 is that Jason was a fully fleshed out character that changed because of the violence he committed in the name of saving his friends. That is gone here.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#210 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hey, I'm playing Far Cry 5 right now, too!  Considering it's not new anymore, that makes a nice coincidence. :)

I agree that the lack of personality for the protagonist definitely makes the game less compelling.  (But I've never played FC3, so only have FC4 to compare it to, and it was bad there, too.)   I'm nearing the end of the valley area (ruled by the guy with the Jesus-from-Walking-Dead beard... is he John?  Or is the main cult guy John?  I get it mixed up)  Anyway... I want to see how the finale for this plays out, but I'm not sure I have the energy for the whole game.  The addition of planes hunting me has made the game way less fun as I can't even travel from one place to another without diving for cover every 30 seconds so the planes don't spot me.  And I'm really not looking forward to the section ruled by the female lieutenant, since that's probably going to have a bunch of drug-addled fights, which I found SUPREMELY annoying in the previous game.

In general, I'm having a bit of a gaming blaaaaah period right now.  I only started FC5 because the other two games on my "to play" pile are Japanese, and I was in the mood for something western after my last couple games have been JRPG's... but I'm not sure I'm having "fun" with FC5 either.  I really hoping that this year's E3 has some great games for me to look forward to in the near future, because I'm really pining for something with a lot of personality and excitement.  The first part of this year has been a huge dry spell in that department.  Spiderman was the last game I played where I was really sucked into the story and gameplay in equal measure, and I miss that.

#211 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

Hey, I'm playing Far Cry 5 right now, too!  Considering it's not new anymore, that makes a nice coincidence. :)

It is a nice coincidence. We very rarely play the same game at the same time.

I agree that the lack of personality for the protagonist definitely makes the game less compelling.  (But I've never played FC3, so only have FC4 to compare it to, and it was bad there, too.)

You so need to play FC3. It is the best one in the series and my favorite FPS. It has great characters, fun missions, a strong story, compelling villains, and a good pace that keeps the game from getting boring.

I'm nearing the end of the valley area (ruled by the guy with the Jesus-from-Walking-Dead beard... is he John?  Or is the main cult guy John?  I get it mixed up)  Anyway... I want to see how the finale for this plays out, but I'm not sure I have the energy for the whole game.  The addition of planes hunting me has made the game way less fun as I can't even travel from one place to another without diving for cover every 30 seconds so the planes don't spot me.  And I'm really not looking forward to the section ruled by the female lieutenant, since that's probably going to have a bunch of drug-addled fights, which I found SUPREMELY annoying in the previous game.

Not sure what a Jesus-from-Walking-Dead beard looks like but if he is the villain that is into torture and saying yes to everything than that is where I started playing. I have finished that section (well, there are some side-quests I need to finish) and have moved on to the others. I am bouncing back and forth between the other sections at the moment. I am mainly trying to get al of the main character companions.

The Faith controlled area hasn't been too drug heavy yet but I am also worried about that. I hope they don't take it too far.

It has surprised me how conservative and gun friendly the game is, based on all the trailers and materials released before the game. It seemed like it would take on the alt-right, white nationalist militia movement but instead I've heard a lot of characters say things along the lines of how glad they are the liberals weren't able to take away their guns. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is odd contrasted with FC3's themes of how violence and death can negatively impact people.

In general, I'm having a bit of a gaming blaaaaah period right now.  I only started FC5 because the other two games on my "to play" pile are Japanese, and I was in the mood for something western after my last couple games have been JRPG's... but I'm not sure I'm having "fun" with FC5 either.  I really hoping that this year's E3 has some great games for me to look forward to in the near future, because I'm really pining for something with a lot of personality and excitement.  The first part of this year has been a huge dry spell in that department.  Spiderman was the last game I played where I was really sucked into the story and gameplay in equal measure, and I miss that.

Wow, I am feeling exactly the same way. I still haven't finished Kingdom Hearts III but that is mainly because I have gone back to re-play the other games in the series. Still, the game hasn't really hooked me like the previous ones and that is sad. The same is true for Devil May Cry 5. It's good, but not great. It feels like left-overs. Good, but not as good as they were fresh. Right now I prefer the reboot, DmC, to DMC5.

Resident Evil 2 has been good and I have been enjoying it but it is hard and I never seem to find the time to play it.

Like you, I am hoping that there are some truly good games coming out. Right now I have been disappointed in my current games and my enthusiasm for gaming in general is waning.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#212 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

You so need to play FC3. It is the best one in the series and my favorite FPS. It has great characters, fun missions, a strong story, compelling villains, and a good pace that keeps the game from getting boring.
Duly noted.  :)    It'll be a while before I play another of these, but I'll add it to the Christmas wish list anyway, so if it gets purchased for me at some point, I'll have it.  :)

Not sure what a Jesus-from-Walking-Dead beard looks like but if he is the villain that is into torture and saying yes to everything than that is where I started playing. I have finished that section (well, there are some side-quests I need to finish) and have moved on to the others. I am bouncing back and forth between the other sections at the moment. I am mainly trying to get al of the main character companions.

The Faith controlled area hasn't been too drug heavy yet but I am also worried about that. I hope they don't take it too far.

Yeah, it was John I was thinking of.  Jesus from Walking Dead has a roughly similar look to that squared-off beard he has.  (Pic)

I haven't really done anything with the companions.  I tend to try to stay stealthy, and the companions are just distracting in that area of things, so it's easier for me to "go it alone"  :) ).  I do feel like I should try harder to figure out the right way to use the pilots.   I have the helicopter and plane pilot people, and they both comment about helping out if you need firepower, but they don't seem to do anything useful when I call them.  Not sure what I'm missing.

I plowed through the main plot for the Faith area as quickly as I could because the way she kept popping random animals everywhere I went was super-annoying... but her plotline overall wasn't too bad.  I enjoyed the main missions like blowing up the big statue, and I was happy that the breakpoint moments weren't all big battles like the John ones were, but just Faith dragging you into her illusion world for a little chit-chat.   (It also seemed like the third-stage section where the planes came out wasn't quite as annoying.  Maybe the hillier region meant that the planes couldn't spot me as well or something.)

I'm still working through smaller side-missions in Faith's region before moving on to the last area.

#213 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

I haven't really done anything with the companions.  I tend to try to stay stealthy, and the companions are just distracting in that area of things, so it's easier for me to "go it alone"  :) ).  I do feel like I should try harder to figure out the right way to use the pilots.   I have the helicopter and plane pilot people, and they both comment about helping out if you need firepower, but they don't seem to do anything useful when I call them.  Not sure what I'm missing.

The companions haven't tripped me up yet. When I want to be stealthy they never really betray me. I like to use my sniper rifle when going after cult bases and they don't fire unless I tell them to or if I get caught by the bad guys. Plus, they can revive me if I lose all my health.

I mainly use the pilots when the cult planes and helicopters are after me. It is nice having air support.

I plowed through the main plot for the Faith area as quickly as I could because the way she kept popping random animals everywhere I went was super-annoying... but her plotline overall wasn't too bad.  I enjoyed the main missions like blowing up the big statue, and I was happy that the breakpoint moments weren't all big battles like the John ones were, but just Faith dragging you into her illusion world for a little chit-chat.   (It also seemed like the third-stage section where the planes came out wasn't quite as annoying.  Maybe the hillier region meant that the planes couldn't spot me as well or something.)

I decided to defeat Jacob first. His boss battle was annoying. You are basically drugged/brain washed so the entire area is surrounded by fog and a red glow is over everything. Enemies appear out of nowhere and turn to fog when they die. You have to destroy six generators. Once that is done everything returns to normal but now Jacob is high up on a hill with a sniper rifle shooting at you and there is an army between you and him. The annoying thing is it feels like you can't kill him until you get close. I am a pretty good shot with my rifle but it seems like none of my bullets ever did any damage.

I am now working on the Faith area. I just destroyed the statue, which was very satisfying.

I will probably slow down and do a lot of the side missions and maybe some of the collect records/baseball cards/comics, etc. side quests.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#214 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 22 May 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

The companions haven't tripped me up yet. When I want to be stealthy they never really betray me. I like to use my sniper rifle when going after cult bases and they don't fire unless I tell them to or if I get caught by the bad guys. Plus, they can revive me if I lose all my health.

Yeah, I think I'm probably overly sensitive to them because the first time I tried to send my dog in to fight some baddies, it ended up stirring up a hornets nest and I got killed two seconds later.  :)  I think I just find them distracting, and with my gameplay style, they don't add enough value to bother with them.

That's a good point re: pulling in the flying allies to help mitigate the enemy's air searches, though.  I may try that.

(Speaking of flying, I had an amusing thing happen last night.  I was doing a mission where you have to fly a plane and do a series of increasingly-difficult gunner missions - start with shooting a stationary target, then shoot a convoy of moving trucks, then shoot down a couple helicopters... and then the final one was a dogfight with another plane.  The whole mission was pretty hard for me because I can't get the feel for how the planes work in this game, and then I thought it was all going to be wasted because I couldn't do the dogfight to save my life and thought I was going to have to give up on the whole mission.  Just when I was about to quit, we crossed paths with a randomly-spawned allied plane and they took out the baddie for me and I won the mission.  It was sweet.  :)

I decided to defeat Jacob first. His boss battle was annoying. You are basically drugged/brain washed so the entire area is surrounded by fog and a red glow is over everything. Enemies appear out of nowhere and turn to fog when they die. You have to destroy six generators. Once that is done everything returns to normal but now Jacob is high up on a hill with a sniper rifle shooting at you and there is an army between you and him.

Ugh... That doesn't sound like fun.  Is the main boss fight timed?  I just did the first sub-fight for Jacob where there's a time limit and shooting people to get more time... so the drugged environment AND a time limit... my two favorite things. :)

I've mostly cleared the Joseph and Faith areas at this point.  There's one more story-type quest I need to do in the Faith zone once I find a couple grizzly bears to skin, but otherwise, I've done about all I can do that's marked on the map.  I'm not being a completionist about anything that's not on the map, though, so I haven't destroyed all the shrines in Faith-zone... and I'm perfectly okay with that.  :)

#215 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

View PostNiko, on 24 May 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Is the main boss fight timed?
Answered my own question - at least only PART of it was timed.  That whole repeated sequence went a lot easier once I figured out that you could just run past several of the sections, and that manual take-downs earned extra seconds, so I got through by barreling through everything and doing manual takedowns on most people who I couldn't run past.

I finished the game.  I thought the final fight was a fun/unique mechanic with
Spoiler

I had read reviews of New Dawn that spoiled the ending for this game, so I knew what to expect from the final plot event.  It must've been quite a kick in the pants going into that ending unspoiled.  I'll be moving on to New Dawn eventually, I think.  The post-apocalyptic setting is more engaging for me, generally.  This game ended up being "fine", but these are never going to be a top tier sort of title for me...  There are some fun moments, but also a lot of frustrating elements that I just put up with, rather than actually enjoying.

My next game is One Piece: World Seeker, which is another open world game, but much more simplified.  It seems like it's going to be a pretty short one, so I'm enjoying it as a fluffy sort of palate-cleanser.  Not bothering to try to be completionist about it or anything.

#216 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

That's a good point re: pulling in the flying allies to help mitigate the enemy's air searches, though.  I may try that.

Did it help you?

(Speaking of flying, I had an amusing thing happen last night.  I was doing a mission where you have to fly a plane and do a series of increasingly-difficult gunner missions - start with shooting a stationary target, then shoot a convoy of moving trucks, then shoot down a couple helicopters... and then the final one was a dogfight with another plane.  The whole mission was pretty hard for me because I can't get the feel for how the planes work in this game, and then I thought it was all going to be wasted because I couldn't do the dogfight to save my life and thought I was going to have to give up on the whole mission.  Just when I was about to quit, we crossed paths with a randomly-spawned allied plane and they took out the baddie for me and I won the mission.  It was sweet.  :)

I had almost the same thing happen except I called in Nick to help and he took down the plane for me.

I had read reviews of New Dawn that spoiled the ending for this game, so I knew what to expect from the final plot event.  It must've been quite a kick in the pants going into that ending unspoiled.  I'll be moving on to New Dawn eventually, I think.  The post-apocalyptic setting is more engaging for me, generally.  This game ended up being "fine", but these are never going to be a top tier sort of title for me...  There are some fun moments, but also a lot of frustrating elements that I just put up with, rather than actually enjoying.

I also had the ending spoiled but it will still be interesting to see how it all plays out. I too will eventually get New Dawn though I'm not sure when.

I took a break from Far Cry 5 to finish up Kingdom Hearts III. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the slam dunk I was hoping for. The plot was a convoluted mess and not all the worlds were as great as I was hoping. In the Frozen and Pirates of the Caribbean worlds you are kept away from the main action and characters so it almost feels pointless.

The ending is pretty epic with a ton of great boss fights. It actually leaves it open for a sequel which shocked me since I thought this was meant to be the final game.

I am now going to finish Far Cry 5. I beat Faith so I'm pretty close to the end game. After that I will finish up Assassin's Creed III.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#217 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

My splash screen is one of my Captains from Star Trek Online. My Liberated Borg Romulan.

Left the game for awhile after the Anniversary, then got back in when I found out we could earn a token to get a free T6 ship of our choice. The next Featured TFO will help me add to that. I'll get the token by the end of the summer, for it will take that long to build up to the 3000 needed for it. (T6 ships cost 3000zen in the C-store)

It's a great game and FTP, though I do have a lifetime on my main acct and playing free on my second acct. Kind of comparing the two. STO is very generous for a FTP. We can do any of the content without having to pay for it. The only thing we have to pay for is the C-Store currency, and we can still get that (slowly) by trading in refined dilithium for the zen.

#218 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

^I actually started playing STO some time ago though I haven't logged on in months. I find it to be a pretty enjoyable game and I like that I can play through the missions without having to team up with other players. I can approach it as a single player game and get through it fine.

I am playing as a Starfleet captain right now. Before I stopped playing I had just gotten a new ship. I'm basically waiting until I can access the bigger, more iconic ships. I would love to have a ship like Voyager or the Enterprise-E.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#219 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

Ah. Well when you reach lvl 65 you get a token for a free T5 ship that you can upgrade to T5-U with an upgrade token (yeah, pay a bit to get it). One of the ships is the Intrepid. And at T5-U it can still get through content. I fly one sometimes.

And if you do get back in there, I'm @echatty ingame. Friend me :)

#220 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 04 June 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

Did it help you?
I didn't end up trying it after all, tbh.  I don't know if it was something different about the zones or my gameplay or what, but I didn't have the same problems with planes in the Faith and Jacob zones, and just never got around to trying it.  I got the bear companion very late in the game.  If I'd gotten him earlier, I might have played with him more... it was fun siccing a bear on bad guys, and he didn't die so fast like the dog.  :)   (Plus, his big sloppy kisses when you petted him were cute.)

I took a break from Far Cry 5 to finish up Kingdom Hearts III. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the slam dunk I was hoping for. The plot was a convoluted mess and not all the worlds were as great as I was hoping.

I've switched to Kingdom Hearts III now, myself, but just starting, and hoo-boy, yeah.  It's interesting that they're trying to bring the plot threads together from all the other games... but none of it made sense in those games themselves, so how on earth do they think it makes sense to try to re-explain it all in this game?  How did they write some of this dialogue with a straight face... all these people with four names and split into body vs. heart, and pre- and post-Organization XIII names, and acting like we're supposed to care about the differences between Heartlesses vs. Nobodies vs. Unversed, when they're all just random-spawning baddies.   It honestly cracks me up how a different dude-in-black-leather is showing up in each world and seems to be there for a completely different reason from the other dudes in black leather.

So far, I've played through the worlds for Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story, and Monsters, Inc.  They've all been relatively fun - the gameplay is still entertaining, even when I'm rolling my eyes at the long cut-scenes of the story.  I liked Toy Story the best so far.  I like worlds like that where they're not just following the plot of a movie, but actually doing a story unique to the game.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users