Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What's on rotation via your computer screen currently?

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#221 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

LOL, I've been busy in this thread lately.  I've put Kingdom Hearts III on hold, and have shifted to playing Divinity: Original Sin on the PC.

Pretty fun so far.  It's nice to get into something a little meatier on the RPG side of things with stats and skills and having to approach fights from a more strategic angle that turn-based combat allows for.   The last old-school game like this that I played was Pillars of Eternity, which I did NOT like, and I was afraid that meant that I wouldn't be able to "get into" this sort of isometric game with text-driven dialogue, but it hasn't been a problem.  Confirms for me that Pillars of Eternity just wasn't a very good game.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#222 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Ah. Well when you reach lvl 65 you get a token for a free T5 ship that you can upgrade to T5-U with an upgrade token (yeah, pay a bit to get it). One of the ships is the Intrepid. And at T5-U it can still get through content. I fly one sometimes.

And if you do get back in there, I'm @echatty ingame. Friend me :)

Thanks for the info. I will friend you soon.

I've switched to Kingdom Hearts III now, myself, but just starting, and hoo-boy, yeah.  It's interesting that they're trying to bring the plot threads together from all the other games... but none of it made sense in those games themselves, so how on earth do they think it makes sense to try to re-explain it all in this game?  How did they write some of this dialogue with a straight face... all these people with four names and split into body vs. heart, and pre- and post-Organization XIII names, and acting like we're supposed to care about the differences between Heartlesses vs. Nobodies vs. Unversed, when they're all just random-spawning baddies.   It honestly cracks me up how a different dude-in-black-leather is showing up in each world and seems to be there for a completely different reason from the other dudes in black leather.

So far, I've played through the worlds for Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story, and Monsters, Inc.  They've all been relatively fun - the gameplay is still entertaining, even when I'm rolling my eyes at the long cut-scenes of the story.  I liked Toy Story the best so far.  I like worlds like that where they're not just following the plot of a movie, but actually doing a story unique to the game.

I agree with everything you said. They are trying to tell this big, complicated, epic story and it just doesn't fit together. None of it makes sense.

The worlds were a lot of fun. I was disappointed with Monsters. Inc. only because the factory setting is so stale. It basically looks like the same corridor and room over and over again. Compare that to Olympus or the toy store or Tangled's forests and it pales in comparison. I wish they had set it at the university so there would be some different designs.

Pretty fun so far.  It's nice to get into something a little meatier on the RPG side of things with stats and skills and having to approach fights from a more strategic angle that turn-based combat allows for.   The last old-school game like this that I played was Pillars of Eternity, which I did NOT like, and I was afraid that meant that I wouldn't be able to "get into" this sort of isometric game with text-driven dialogue, but it hasn't been a problem.  Confirms for me that Pillars of Eternity just wasn't a very good game.

Glad to hear Pillars was just a bad game and not that you aren't able to get into those types of games anymore.

I played Dead Space recently. Just in the mood, I guess. Enough time has passed that I forgot a lot of the jump scares and a few of the twists so I had felt tension playing. I jumped a few times. The game does survival horror right. I will probably play 2 and 3 here pretty soon.

I also played X-Men: Destiny. It is a fun game and I think playing as Adrian and having him side with the X-Men creates a really good story. Adrian was raised as a Purifier and now he has mutant powers and must put aside his hatred.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#223 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

The Summer Event starts today if you're interested in a T6 Risian Corvette. Maint is going on right now to install it.

I'll be playing over both my accts (the other is @jhanell#0895, my FTP acct) and my family's accts so they'll get the ship too.

#224 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

The Summer Event starts today if you're interested in a T6 Risian Corvette. Maint is going on right now to install it.

I'll be playing over both my accts (the other is @jhanell#0895, my FTP acct) and my family's accts so they'll get the ship too.

I'll have to sign in and take a look soon then.

I ended up playing Dead Space 2 and 3. DS2 is a sequel that improves on the original in a lot of ways while still keeping everything that made the first one work. My only complaint is that towards the end of the game they really abandon the horror aspect and just throw waves of Necromorphs at you.

I re-read my old review of DS3 and I was pretty harsh on the game. I guess time has mellowed me because I ended up enjoying it a lot. It isn't as scary as the other two games but it is still a lot of fun. The ability to craft different weapons in a lot of fun. I love that there is an actual cast of character to interact with and get to know.

Now I am playing Far Cry: New Dawn and Star Wars: Battlefront II.

I found New Dawn for pretty cheap so decided to get it. The story picks up 17 years after FC5. The survivors of the blast have picked up the pieces and built up a good community. This is ruined when an army called the Highwaymen descend on Hope County, led by the Twins. The residents ask for help from Rush, a man trying to restore the U.S. and bring about law and order. The Twins ambush the train carrying Rush and his army. The main character is a captain in Rush's army who gets away and tries to help the residents stop the Highwaymen.

ND plays a lot like FC5, obviously. You are in Hope County again. You have allies that can follow you into battle. You have main missions, side missions, caches to find, outposts to liberate, etc.

There are some changes. There is now a home base called Prosperity that can be upgraded using ethanol, which also upgrades various aspects of your character. It is nice to have a home base and I want to upgrade it.

The weapons are different. Instead of buying weapons you have to craft them. There are resources you find all over the map (in place of money like the previous game) and you use these to make weapons. The weapons (and vehicles for that matter) are divided into different tiers. To access a new tier you have to use ethanol to upgrade the weapons bench. You get ethanol from liberating outposts.

There are fewer allies in this game than FC5. Some of the people you rescue won't follow you into battle but instead head to Prosperity. You also can't recruit random NPCs that are walking around the map.

Speaking of, even though this is the same map from FC5 it has changed enough that it feels new. Some locations have changed completely while others look similar to how they used to. I liberated an outpost and started leaving when the ally I was with commented on how it used to be the town of Fall's End. I looked back and was stunned to see that it was the remains of the town. I was floored. It is strange seeing what were once familiar sights so radically changed.

There are some characters from FC5 in this game, though I won't spoil who returns. The fate of the deputy is also revealed, but again no spoilers.

The Twins make for good villains. I think this is the first time a FC game has featured women as the main villains instead of being lieutenants. They're crazy which is just a requirement to being FC villains but they have a philosophy that makes sense in a post-apocalyptic setting.

New Dawn is a pretty fun game so far. I do recommend you get it eventually Niko.

Battlefront II was on sale for $6 if you have Playstation Plus. I didn't, but I did get a 14 free trial and bought the game that way. It is a lot of fun. I have finished the main campaign (though there is a DLC follow-up that came with the game that I haven't finished yet). The campaign focuses on Inferno Squad, an Imperial special forces group that was formed after the destruction of the first Death Star. The game starts right before the Battle of Endor as Inferno Squad deletes information on a Rebel ship that would clue them in to the trap. The game then shifts to the Battle of Endor before showing the events after RoTJ.

It is a pretty good story, and Iden Versio (commander of Inferno Squad and main character) makes for a compelling lead. You understand why she fights for the Empire and why she eventually defects. I've read the novel that shows the formation of Inferno Squad so it was cool seeing them brought to life in the game.

The game play is a mix of ground combat and space combat, with a lot of fun scenarios. The game also lets you control the main SW characters like Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando at certain points of the campaign as well.

There is also an arcade, which lets you play as either the Light side or the Dark side. These are fun, more or less. There seem to be two types: timed battles where you have to kill everyone before time runs out and elimination, where you have to kill all of the enemies. You can also create your own scenarios which is a lot of fun.

For $6 it was a great buy.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#225 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

Look forward to seeing you on Risa!

#226 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostEChatty, on 03 July 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

Look forward to seeing you on Risa!

I did sign back in and play for a bit. I now have the rank of captain and an Intrepid class ship.

I tried to friend you but have no idea how to do it. My guess is it is simple and obvious and I am being dumb. My name on there is CrimsonV25 I believe and my character name is Zalm.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#227 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

I'm getting Unknown User. There must be a spelling error in there somewhere.

To Friend someone, press O (not zero) on your kb, go to the Friends tab and then click Add Friend.

Just put @echatty in the text field and it will send me a friend invitation.

#228 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 June 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

I was disappointed with Monsters. Inc. only because the factory setting is so stale. It basically looks like the same corridor and room over and over again. Compare that to Olympus or the toy store or Tangled's forests and it pales in comparison. I wish they had set it at the university so there would be some different designs.
That's a good point about the dullness of the Monsters Inc world.  I don't have a lot of familiarity with that franchise so didn't really have much frame of reference.  The one thing that stood out for me in that area was the fights where there were fires and you could put out the fire with water spells.  I wish they'd done a bit more with that.  I totally missed the point of the little hints they gave in the first section, so by the time I figured out what they were getting at, I was pretty much done with that section.

I did NOT enjoy the Frozen world at all.  Climb a snowy random hill, slide back down, Climb another hill, fall back down.  That sort of thing is part of why I stopped.  I end up going back through a world a second time to try to catch more Mickey emblems, and the second quickie runthrough of Frozen-land really hit home how dull it was.  I couldn't believe you didn't even get to go into Elsa's castle.

New Dawn is a pretty fun game so far. I do recommend you get it eventually Niko.
I'm glad to hear it.  :)  I'll definitely have to pick it up at some point.  I guess I should do it before I forget too much of the original game...

I'm always a bit of a sucker for base-building, so that sounds like a nice addition.  (I'm not going to expect it to really push my buttons in that regard... my idea of "good" base building is more in the State of Decay sense of really feeling like you're rebuilding civilization one improvement at a time, with focuses on having enough food to eat and materials to patch damaged buildings and stuff like that... but still, hopefully they'll continue down that road in future games. :) )

I don't mind the drop in allies... as we've discussed, I don't take advantage of that aspect much.  I'd rather have a few really well implemented NPC's to engage with than a bunch of random procedurally generated ones.

It is a pretty good story, and Iden Versio (commander of Inferno Squad and main character) makes for a compelling lead. You understand why she fights for the Empire and why she eventually defects. I've read the novel that shows the formation of Inferno Squad so it was cool seeing them brought to life in the game.

The game play is a mix of ground combat and space combat, with a lot of fun scenarios. The game also lets you control the main SW characters like Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando at certain points of the campaign as well.
This is one that kinda caught my eye.  I'll have to check for it cheap at Gamestop or something.  I mentioned in the "games we're looking forward to" thread that I like the look of the upcoming "Fallen Order" game, and I saw some comments that the combat in the game reminded someone of the Battlefront games, and it had never occurred to me to check those out because most of the time when I saw it discussed, it was in terms of the multiplayer shooty-shooty-shooty stuff.  Is the campaign just that sort of shooty-shooty stuff strung together with cut-scenes, or is there more to it?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#229 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

I'm getting Unknown User. There must be a spelling error in there somewhere.

To Friend someone, press O (not zero) on your kb, go to the Friends tab and then click Add Friend.

Just put @echatty in the text field and it will send me a friend invitation.

Well, there's the problem. I feel stupid for not realizing it earlier. You are playing on a PC and I am playing on an Xbox One and there is no cross play.

While we can't play together we can at least tell each other about our ships, crew, and adventures.

Right now I am a Bajoran captain named Zalm. I just upgraded to an Intrepid class ship named the Ankara. I used the Discovery configuration because I thought it looked good.

The main characters I use for my bridge crew and my away team are: Elisa Flores, a human woman who is a tactical bridge officer and the character I think of as my second in command; Shinas, an Andorian science officer; Six of Nine, my Borg engineering officer; and Stephan, another tactical officer and someone I think of as a boy wonder type.

I am currently on the Romulan Mystery episode. I just completed the Vault mission, which was a pain in my butt. I liked the mission and it was a nice change of pace but trying to outrun a Romulan warbird in a giant space station while riding in a runabout is not my idea of fun.

That's a good point about the dullness of the Monsters Inc world.  I don't have a lot of familiarity with that franchise so didn't really have much frame of reference.  The one thing that stood out for me in that area was the fights where there were fires and you could put out the fire with water spells.  I wish they'd done a bit more with that.  I totally missed the point of the little hints they gave in the first section, so by the time I figured out what they were getting at, I was pretty much done with that section.

I did NOT enjoy the Frozen world at all.  Climb a snowy random hill, slide back down, Climb another hill, fall back down.  That sort of thing is part of why I stopped.  I end up going back through a world a second time to try to catch more Mickey emblems, and the second quickie runthrough of Frozen-land really hit home how dull it was.  I couldn't believe you didn't even get to go into Elsa's castle.

I agree with you about Frozen. I loved it at first and thought it looked beautiful but it became repetitive real quick. That was also the section where I stopped playing for a bit. I felt the same way about not going into Elsa's castle. A lot of missed opportunities.

I'm always a bit of a sucker for base-building, so that sounds like a nice addition.  (I'm not going to expect it to really push my buttons in that regard... my idea of "good" base building is more in the State of Decay sense of really feeling like you're rebuilding civilization one improvement at a time, with focuses on having enough food to eat and materials to patch damaged buildings and stuff like that... but still, hopefully they'll continue down that road in future games. :) )

I don't mind the drop in allies... as we've discussed, I don't take advantage of that aspect much.  I'd rather have a few really well implemented NPC's to engage with than a bunch of random procedurally generated ones.

The base building isn't quite that advanced. Basically you get ethanol from winning back outposts (which you can then hand back to the bad guys so you can take it back and earn more ethanol) and use that to upgrade various aspects of the base. The base does go through some cosmetic changes. It's not great, but it is good and I like that aspect of the game.

I like the allies here. It is a nice mix of old characters and new ones. There is a crazy granny character that I love to use because she has a silenced sniper rifle which comes in real handy. She did get me in trouble once because I sent her to kill an enemy and instead of using her rifle she just started beating on him which alerted the whole base.

This is one that kinda caught my eye.  I'll have to check for it cheap at Gamestop or something.  I mentioned in the "games we're looking forward to" thread that I like the look of the upcoming "Fallen Order" game, and I saw some comments that the combat in the game reminded someone of the Battlefront games, and it had never occurred to me to check those out because most of the time when I saw it discussed, it was in terms of the multiplayer shooty-shooty-shooty stuff.  Is the campaign just that sort of shooty-shooty stuff strung together with cut-scenes, or is there more to it?

The campaign is mainly shooty-shooty stuff but well done shooty-shooty stuff. There are missions where you fly TIE fighters and X-Wings and those are a blast. There are times you take control over an AT-AT or one of the smaller walkers. You also switch characters during the campaign and each character has different weapons and abilities so it helps the game play from feeling stale. Some of the locations are cool, like when you crash into a Star Destroyer and fight enemies on its hull even as it continues to fire at ships around it.

The plot is well done, though I was already invested in the characters after reading the Inferno Squad novel.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#230 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Ah yes, the Mogai. I generally try to have something to distract it like a turret or aceton assimilator, if you have one. I also generally wait just out of the 10ly range until it's patrol takes it a good ways from the door. Then I fly up to it, blast the lock, drop a turret or something and head out. I know some who say they can take it out, with time, but I don't wanna find out lol.

My main is a custom alien called a Kilaria. A friend and I created them years ago for a fic we were writing together. He's a little humanoid male with green skin and blue spots, pointed ears. They're half human and half alien, shorter than average and very intelligent. Jacob is a sci who flies a Chronos MM science vessel. He has Elisa Flores as his second and a female Kilaria engineer on his away team (she's his wife in headcanon lol).

I have lots of captains actually, from Fed to Kling to Rom. Most of them don't get played, but I do get around to them sometimes. Jacob gets played most. Next would probably be my AoY and my Caitian male.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users