Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What's on rotation via your computer screen currently?

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#61 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

^ Yeah, the gangs of pirates descending in every other room are a major issue.  It's actually hit my suspension-of-disbelief!fail button pretty hard that there are what seem like HUNDREDS of pirate dudes roaming around in secret labyrinths that it took Drake all these complex puzzles to get to.  I've bumped the difficulty level down to easy so that I can sit back and enjoy the story parts.

Oooo... that Dragon Age playthrough sounds fun.  I can't imagine you won't enjoy it.  :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#62 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Currently replaying FFX. By replaying I mean killing Dark Aeons and possibly Nemisis soon...

#63 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

When I first started playing Tomb Raider, I had to keep reminding myself to take breaks and to pace myself. That game just pulls you in and doesn't let go. And to think that there was a ton of controversy about the game's quality and content before it came out. Looking back at all of that, it couldn't have been more absurd!

Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic RPG. BioWare's last great game, in my opinion. The main story isn't the most original but the focus is more on the individual stories of the characters that join you than the big main story. And I highly recommend avoiding Dragon Age 2 at all costs. It basically takes everything that worked well in the first game, guts it, and then "improves" it by simplifying it so much that it becomes meaningless. Oh, and it recycles the same few maps for the entire game. Ugh.

Right now I'm a bit obsessed with Injustice: Gods Among Us, which I recently bought during the Steam sale. The game doesn't seem to have the same sort of strategic depth that the Street Fighter series has but I find it significantly more fun. I mean, you get to play as your favorite DC heroes and villains and then beat the crap out of each other. What's not to love?!
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#64 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Trying to complete my Pokedex in Y. Also, we got a few new guild members, so my girlfriend and I have been playing GW2 everyday.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#65 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

^ Yeah, the gangs of pirates descending in every other room are a major issue.  It's actually hit my suspension-of-disbelief!fail button pretty hard that there are what seem like HUNDREDS of pirate dudes roaming around in secret labyrinths that it took Drake all these complex puzzles to get to.

I know. There were times when I had to scale a giant cliff, get through some horrble time consuming puzzle, dodge all these death traps, and finally get to the secret location only to have pirates all over the place. I mean seriously? What secret entrance did they use and why don't I know about it?

Stilly playing Beyond: Two Souls. I think I'm close to the end. It's a great game. Haven't started Dragon Age yet. We all want to start at the same time and it's hard coordinating that. Hopefully soon though.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#66 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 December 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

I marathon'd Tomb Raider pretty hard - great game - and am now working through Uncharted 1.  It's interesting to see how the form has evolved since this first one.  Compared to Uncharted 3 and Last of Us (and, indeed, Tomb Raider) the pacing in this one has much less variety so far... the fight sequences are getting a little monotonous.

Tomb Raider is excellent. It's no surprise that you had to keep playing. Uncharted is a great game, but the two sequels did improve on a lot of things. I do agree about the fighting. That was a gripe I had about the game as well. The fights were repetitive and it seemed like every five minutes another gang of pirates would attack me and all I wanted to do was explore the pretty ruins.

So a few friends and I have decided that we are all going to play Dragon Age: Origins at the same time and comapre experiences. So I will finally be playing that game. I know a lot of people here love it so hopefully I will too.

I've been thinking about doing a DAO playthrough too. If we're both doing it we could try starting a thread and comparing experiences. And DA2.... its not that bad IMO. Its a good game, but not a great game and will take some adjustments to play.
Rejected and gone.

#67 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I've been thinking about doing a DAO playthrough too. If we're both doing it we could try starting a thread and comparing experiences. And DA2.... its not that bad IMO. Its a good game, but not a great game and will take some adjustments to play.

I'm up for that. My friends and I decided to start today. So far all I've done is create my character. I'm a human female warrior born into wealth and privilege. So let me know when you're good to go and we can start a thread. And if anyone else wants to join in they can. It could be fun. I'm not sure how much time I can devote to it everyday since college is starting but it's not like it's a race.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#68 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Ah the Cousland female warrior, one of my favourite Origins.

I've been meaning to do a Dalish Elf female rogue for a while now so I've started with that one.
Rejected and gone.

#69 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostMikoto, on 11 January 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

And DA2.... its not that bad IMO. Its a good game, but not a great game and will take some adjustments to play.
Considering that they gutted and pretty much destroyed everything that made DAO so good (strategy? who needs strategy? unique maps? nah, just go through the same 2-3 areas half a hundred times!), I'm going to have to disagree with you there. It's not only a bad game. It's an embarrassment of a game from a developer, that while not perfect, generally has much higher standards than recycling maps to death, dropping endless mobs on top of your group to make it so strategy doesn't matter (it's all about spamming skills as fast as possible to win), and a story that has little to no narrative coherence (the 3 parts of the "story" are barely connected).

They also decided to throw out a good chunk of the lore that DAO established. For example, want to be a blood mage? No need to make a pact with a demon and sell your soul. Just cut yourself and let the blood flow. The game really should have taken place in a different universe and not tried to capitalize on the DA franchise. It had little to do with DA.

#70 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

We'll have to disagree on that point then NC. :)

I agree DA2 has deep flaws, plotholes big enough to sink a car through, and immersion breaking faults if you're playing a mage-Hawke. But despite that I liked DA2. It was entertaining and I still saw enough "Dragon Age" in it to recognise it. Overall I did enjoy playing the game although I had quite an adjustment phase given that it's so different from DA:O. I'd be happy to discuss it as I like the DA series and am looking forwards to Inquisition.
Rejected and gone.

#71 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Currently playing "State of Decay".

After playing Last of Us and Walking Dead last year, I was jonesing for a zombie game that had more of a survival-simulation element, letting you focus more on community-building, scavenging, reinforcing a home base, etc.   I had this one rec'd to me back then, but I'm only getting around to it now.

I was put off a bit, at first, by the "real-timey-ness" of the game (if you don't deal with certain missions in a reasonable amount of time, they'll resolve themselves, usually with deaths of your allies or potential allies), but once I started coming at it from a time-management perspective, rather than a combat or rpg-ish flow, things have been a lot more fun.  :)  There's so much to do - scavenging to keep your community stocked with necessary goods, reinforcing your home base, keeping up relationships with neighboring survivor camps, dealing with other "big dog" survivor groups who can be both allies and threats, making sort of "pest control" runs to keep down the number of zombie hordes and infestations, dealing with unrest among your own group, keeping *yourself* alive/rested/well-equipped.  Great fun.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#72 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

State of Decay sounds pretty interesting. I might have to check that one out.

I'm still playing Dragon Age: Origins and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Though I might take a break from them and play a shorter, non-RPG game just to have a breather. DmC: Devil May Cry has been calling me for a while.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#73 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

I had an entirely free weekend for a change and opted to veg out and do some random gaming...

Papers, Please - Finally got around to trying this, and it's an interesting game, but I'm not sure I'll bother to play it to the end.  I can see that it's pretty cool from an "interactive fiction" standpoint of getting inside the head of someone living a much different life from myself, but the gameplay is tedious and frustrating.  (Which I guess is kinda the point, but there's such a thing as too much realism.  :) )

The Last of Us DLC: Left Behind - Fabulous.  The Ellie section of the main game was my favorite for the way it forced you to rely on stealth and wits, not brawn, so it was great to spend more time with her.  The flashbacks were well-done and really touching.

Final Fantasy 6 - While I was buying Left Behind from the Playstation store, I figured I might as well toss something else on the pile, and for some reason, FF6 called to me.  My first time doing a serious play-through since I first played it back on the SNES back in the day.  It's keeping my interest more than expected.  (I've had a tough time trying to replay old-school JRPG's on handhelds, and I thought it was because the gameplay wasn't holding up for me.  Now I think it might just be that the handheld format is no fun.)

#74 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. This is what Diablo 3 should have been at launch. So much awesome.

#75 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

The Last of Us DLC: Left Behind - Fabulous.  The Ellie section of the main game was my favorite for the way it forced you to rely on stealth and wits, not brawn, so it was great to spend more time with her.  The flashbacks were well-done and really touching.

I didn't even know there was DLC for The Last of Us. Cool. I really need to play that game again.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#76 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Finished playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. I'm also still slowly working on KoA. In my last playthrough I didn't do the Travelers quest but I am now. It's pretty fun even though I'm a horrible thief.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#77 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

How "action-y" is the combat in Amalur?  Do you get followers or familiars or anything to help with fighting?  I think about picking it up sometimes - especially now that it's old enough for used prices to maybe make it worth a blind buy, but I still have a fair amount of concern about action-rpg's, especially single-player games.  With stuff like Mass Effect, I could get by with hanging back and letting my teammates draw the enemy's attention, but when it's just me... ugh...

=======

I'm currently still playing FF6.  Also had a couple games I Kickstarted come through recently, so I have a couple new point-and-click type adventures queued up on my desktop, too.

#78 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

How "action-y" is the combat in Amalur?  Do you get followers or familiars or anything to help with fighting?  I think about picking it up sometimes - especially now that it's old enough for used prices to maybe make it worth a blind buy, but I still have a fair amount of concern about action-rpg's, especially single-player games.  With stuff like Mass Effect, I could get by with hanging back and letting my teammates draw the enemy's attention, but when it's just me... ugh...

It's pretty action-y. You can have two weapons equipped at the same time, each assigned to a different button so it's easy to switch between them. There's no restriction on what weapons you can have equipped. You can equip two swords, a sword and daggers, chakrams and a mage staff, etc. You also have spells like shock and ice and healing. You can be a mage, warrior, thief, or any combination of the three.

You don't really have any followers. During some sections you might have an NPC following you and they will help in combat but they don't stay with you the entire game. There is a spell where you can summon a faer gorta (a skeleton warrior) and it will fight with you until it's time is up though you can summon it again and increase the amount of time it stays with you.

I don't think the game is too hard. There are definitely some tough enemies like the Niskaru and threshes that give you a run for the money, but you level up pretty quickly and there are plenty of goof weapons, armor, and shields to be found in the game so you can always be powered up pretty good. Also, you can run from enemies. If you don't want to fight you can either avoid them or run and they'll stop chasing after awhile. At least when you're traveling. On quests you don't really have the choice to run.

I love this game but I like action RPGs and I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat. Maybe try renting it first if you're not sure, but I think it's worth it. There's at least 100 or so hours of content and a pretty deep mythology.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#79 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Finished a couple quickie graphic-adventures over the long weekend...

Moebius: Empire Rising - Kickstarter game that appealed to me due to Jane Jensen's name being attached.  I am a HUUUUUUGE fan of the Gabriel Knight games that she was the head writer on, and I'll give anything she touches at least a chance.  The game is, unfortunately, not good.  It's a point-and-click game that leads you by the nose from puzzle to puzzle to puzzle, and mostly only allows you to pick up items that pertain to the puzzle you're currently working on, so there's never any real mystery about what you need to do beyond the old "Oh, I didn't have that item because I didn't notice that one flashing pixel" issue.  It's also way too short to give the story/characters room to stretch... which is the real pity, since there *are* some good bones on this thing in that regard:  interesting character chemistry between the two leads, and a very Jane-Jensen-esque story setup, tying together a modern-day mystery with historical events.  I can't recommend the game, but if she wanted money for a sequel, I'd probably contribute in the hopes that the storyline would get handled better in a second go-round.

Tesla Effect - And this was a Kickstarter for a new chapter in the Tex Murphy games.  This one was pretty good, imo.  They stuck with the live-action-video approach that was used in the main three games in the series back in the '90's and it really feels like a seamless transition from those older games to this one, despite the 15+ years between them.  Puzzles were, again, fairly simple, but they did a better job at fleshing out the details so it wasn't quite so blatantly on rails.

Not sure what I'm going to play next, except maybe finish up FF6  (I hit the "do I finish this, or try to be completionist about getting all the characters skills and stuff" point, and I think I'm sick enough of random monster fights that "just finish it" is winning out.)    Looking forward to the new State of Decay DLC, too.

#80 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

As soon as I get my laptop back (or the desktop that my SiL is building me), I'm going to get back into STO.

Also DAO and DA2 and Oblivion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users