York mosque counters EDL protest with tea, biscuits and football

Britain UK EDL tea biscuits football 2013 york islam muslims

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

• Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

A York mosque dealt with a potentially volatile situation after reports that it was going to be the focus of a demonstration organised by a far-right street protest movement - by inviting those taking part in the protest in for tea and biscuits.

Around half a dozen people arrived for the protest, promoted online by supporters of the EDL. A St George's flag was nailed to the wooden fence in front of the mosque.

However, after members of the group accepted an invitation into the mosque, tensions were rapidly defused over tea and plates of custard creams, followed by an impromptu game of football.

York: showing us how it's done. I wonder if it was Yorkshire tea?

If you have the good fortune not to know about the EDL, they are the "English Defence League" who are a bunch of right wing, bigoted pillocks (yes, between EDL, UKIP and the BNP, we do have a lot of them :rolleyes: luckily, we also have a lot of tea...).

I personally favour the English Disco Lovers who are a pro-disco, pro-equality group to counter them ;)

Edited by SparkyCola, 01 June 2013 - 06:58 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well done, all sides.   :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'm telling you:  Tea is MAGIC.  I LOVE Yorkshire Gold tea.  They serve it at Lovejoy's, my favorite teahouse in the universe (and yes it also doubles as an antique shop in honor of Lovejoy the antiques dealer/detective)
Posted Image

#4 SparkyCola

• Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

The good news is spreading: Article 2

In Contrast to BNP Rally, Lewisham Islamic Centre Welcomes All with Samosas and Pizza

Far right political group the BNP had originally organised a protest march in Westminsters, but they were met by a larger group of those from the Anti-fascist league and other organisations who were successful in preventing much of a demonstration.

Whilst the protests continued in Westminster, the Lewisham Islamic Centre opened its doors to all-comers in a sign of hospitality and community, welcoming all those in their borough and neighbouring boroughs who had prevented the BNP from getting permission to march there.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Britain, UK, EDL, tea, biscuits, football, 2013, york, islam, muslims

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users