Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Watch Patrick Stewart's Passionate Speech on Violence Toward Women

Patrick Stewart domestic violence amnesty amnesty international women womens issues PTSD 2013

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I know I've posted on this subject before, but I just found this video, and I was so moved I had to share it.

Here is the comment from the woman who asked him the question:

This was my question to Sir Patrick Stewart at Comicpalooza 2013. I wanted to thank Patrick Stewart for his speech at Amnesty International it personally help me put a name to the abuse, sexual abuse in my case, I had experienced in the past. He responded very passionately and the last thing I thought I would get at was a heartfelt hug.

When he embraced me he told me "You never have to go through that again, you're safe now". I just kept thanking him.

I hope everyone who needs help in abusive or violent situations has the courage to do so. There are people willing and ready to help you. There are hotline numbers a little farther down.

Wow.  Just wow.

And here is the Amnesty International video that is mentioned above.  This one is harder to watch, and even more emotional, but so powerful.  I was reminded of aspects of my own memories that I had not thought about in some time, as he described feeling some of the same things that I have felt, as a child of domestic violence.

He says things in this speech that I could never have put into words.  I can see they are difficult even for him to say, but that does not stop him.  

Bravo, and thank you, Sir Patrick Stewart.

SFG  :happy:  :thumbs-up:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Here is a little more from the woman in the first video, discussing that wonderful hug (with pictures) :

http://lemonsweetie....-an-amazing-man

They were about to move onto the next question when Sir Patrick looked at me and asked me “My Dear, are you okay?” I said yes, and that I was finally able to move on from that part of my life. He then passionately said that his mother had done nothing to provoke his father and that even if she had, violence was never, ever a choice a man should make. That it is in the power of men to stop violence towards women. The moderator then asked “Do you want a hug?”

Sir Patrick didn’t even hesitate, he smiled, hopped off the stage and came over to embrace me in a hug. Which he held me there for a long while. He told me “You never have to go through that again, you’re safe now.” I couldn’t stop thanking him. His embrace was so warm and genuine. It was two people, two strangers, supporting and giving love. And when we pulled away he looked strait in my eyes, like he was promising that. He told me to take care. And I will.

Sir Patrick Stewart for the win!  :nod:

SFG  :happy:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thank you, SFG. :hugs:

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Sir Patrick Stewart is just awesome. 100% full of win :nod:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I just want to say a little more than I could earlier, as I was completely overwhelmed (in a good way).

I cannot even begin to describe how many emotions I felt after watching those two videos.  I don't think I even know names for most of them.  All I could do was post here, and share them.

It was interesting to hear his comments about PTSD as well.  I was a little surprised, though I shouldn't have been.  (Not by what he said, I just didn't expect that change in topic.)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 01 June 2013 - 07:35 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

He's my hero, in so many ways.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

When I was a kid, back in the 60s and 70s, Captain Kirk was one of my heroes. William Shatner never really lived up to his standards. Patrick Stewart, however, meets, if not surpasses, any standard ever set by Captain Picard. He has not only used his dreadful life experience to make himself a better person, but he has used the influence of his celebrity to make the world a better place-- and he does this by making the lives of individual people in the world better.  His description of his childhood resonates with mine; nowhere near as bad, as he describes it, but similar.

It seems like such a simple thing to me, that people should be civil and sympathetic and supportive to each other. How can it possibly be so hard?  How can it be that in the 21st century, so many people can do so much harm to each other?  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patrick Stewart, domestic violence, amnesty, amnesty international, women, womens issues, PTSD, 2013

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users