• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

I just saw Joss Whedon interviewed on Charlie Rose (it was the last segment of the show).  They discussed Shakespeare, and Much Ado, and it was brilliant.  :D

I can't find any clips of it online, but if anyone else does, go ahead and post them here.  :)

In the meantime, if anyone can catch a rebroadcast of tonight's ep, maybe during the day tomorrow, it's worth it!  :cool:  (It's just the last 20 minutes or so.)

SFG  :hehe:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 05 June 2013 - 12:28 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Nothing on YouTube yet. Maybe it's on On Demand. What network carries Charlie Rose?

In a similar vein, I saw the second half of an interview today on Turner Classic Movies that Elvis Mitchell did with Quentin Tarantino.  The guy's nuts, but very interesting and knowledgeable.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'm upset because the movie comes out in two days and I can't find any local listings for it in my city. Then again, most of the showtimes for Star Trek Into Darkness didn't show up online until the day it came out, so I'm hoping that's the case here as well. There's a local theater, not far from the university, that tends to carry smaller independent and art films, and I'll be quite surprised if they don't carry it at some point.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

We're going this weekend for sure.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

They are releasing it in stages. Friday it's just New York, LA and San Francisco (or maybe Chicago--I know it's just three,) Then it is going to roll out in more and more cities through June 21. Joss has tweeted that the big city opening grosses may determine how many cities it plays in.

I would imagine you'd get it in Cincinnati, Christopher. I have fewer hopes for Columbia unless our non-profit art cinema books it. On the bright side, I will be in NYC the weekend of June 27.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 05 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Nothing on YouTube yet. Maybe it's on On Demand. What network carries Charlie Rose?

It's on PBS.

You know, I think Whedon fans must have crashed Charlie Rose's website after that interview, because at the time I posted, it just said the "server would not respond", LOL!  :freakoutnonny:

But it's back up now!  Here is the schedule page with links to video from several recent shows, and here is the clip of the whole interview!  :D  Enjoy!

"This is what would happen if you mixed Shakespeare with me! *chuka chuka* *pours* Uhh Bitter!  Uuh, where's the Branagh!?"

:howling: :howling: :howling:

Also, Hulu has recent full episodes, but they appear to be delayed by few days.  Look for the June 4th ep, it should be posted soon.  :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 June 2013 - 09:56 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm surprised by his assessment of Branagh. My memory of Branagh's Hamlet was that he totally failed to interpret the soliloquies in an interesting way, but just gave very one-note recitations, saying the words without really expressing their meaning.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

This morning's NPR Morning Edition featured an inteview with Joss Whedon too.   :happy:  

http://www.npr.org/2...r-silver-screen
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

^^  Cool.

Thanks for the links, Sci-Fi Girl. I'll try his website, because Hulu never works right for me.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,525 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostChristopher, on 06 June 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'm surprised by his assessment of Branagh. My memory of Branagh's Hamlet was that he totally failed to interpret the soliloquies in an interesting way, but just gave very one-note recitations, saying the words without really expressing their meaning.

Well, remember he's talking Branaugh's Henry V, which really did make sense out of everything, even the whole argument put forth by the church to rationalize Henry's claim to France's throne (i.e. all claimants are descended from the female, so all have equal claim).  And what I really liked was the opening bit where it was put forth that the whole war in France was meant to distract Henry from the proposal then being discussed of seizing church lands for their revenues.  This is something that was wholly omitted from Olivier's production.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,779 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I do vaguely recall liking Branagh's Henry V better than Olivier's.

Meanwhile, it annoyed me that Charlie Rose thought his name was Josh Whedon. I guess Whedon has gotten so used to being called "Josh" that he doesn't bother to correct people anymore.

Facebook Author Page

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Maybe he was just joshing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joss Whedon, Much Ado About Nothing, interview

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users