Superman

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#321 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

The World Engine collapsed a few skyscrapers with every pulse, and that went on for minutes.

#322 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostOmega, on 11 December 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

The World Engine collapsed a few skyscrapers with every pulse, and that went on for minutes.

The world engine was in the Indian ocean, the other ship was their mothership which as it was said in the movie was a slave to the world engine. And no, buildings didn't collapse with every pulse we only saw two buildings come down during the attempt to change earth into the next Krypton. One building came down while PErry was looking out of the window and the second one came down behind him and Jenny while they trying to run away from it.

Edited by DWF, 11 December 2013 - 12:34 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#323 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think maybe you should watch the scene again.

Especially around 56 seconds in, you can see half a dozen buildings quickly crumble in one small corner of the devastation.

#324 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

If you watch that scene very carefully you can see the buildings coming down from the missiles fired from the Raptors and the Raptors themselves crashing into the buildings due the gravity beam.

Edited by DWF, 11 December 2013 - 08:55 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#325 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

This again??

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#326 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

This again??

I think this is one debate that will live on the Internet forever.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#327 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

You're telling me that something like ten skyscrapers in that clip came down simultaneously from the impact of a few small planes? That's totally inconsistent with both how buildings really behave, and with how buildings in this movie behave. Other buildings are clearly hit by missiles and planes and, while they suffer damage, they don't just fall over.

I really wish I could find the scene where the ship originally lands and starts pulsing. The buildings being destroyed are far more obvious.

There's also the HUGE empty space in the middle of what used to be a city.

There's no way that scene makes any sense if dozens of city blocks weren't annihilated.

#328 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ten skyscapers? Where'd that figure come from? And yes it can happen in a movie about an alien from another planet pocessing superpowers, strange how it happens all the time comic books and nobody complains. And yes we've been over the empty space as well upthread and even if buildings collapse they still have the same mass so it's impossible for them to disappear completely, I 'd already chalked up to dramatic license.

#329 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

The ten or so skyscrapers clearly seen disintegrating rapidly around 0:56 of the first video I linked.

As for disappearing completely, there was that nice phantom zone portal. And the kryptoforming process pretty much reduced everything to sand, so even if the mass was present it wouldn't necessarily be obvious.

Edited by Omega, 11 December 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#330 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostOmega, on 11 December 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

The ten or so skyscrapers clearly seen disintegrating rapidly around 0:56 of the first video I linked.

As for disappearing completely, there was that nice phantom zone portal. And the kryptoforming process pretty much reduced everything to sand, so even if the mass was present it wouldn't necessarily be obvious.

You can see cars squashed by the gravity beam and skeletal remains of buildings even after being hit by the beam. Still the effects of the beam did cause missiles from the Raptors to hit people on the ground and you can see one sprial into yet anotehr building. And after being hit by the gravity beam there's still plenty of the city left.

#331 petedude

petedude
  • Islander
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

I liked the flick, but am still not completely sold on Cavill as Supes.  Effects were great, but it sometimes felt like the 300 guy was trying too hard to wow people visually at the expense of the story.

Nolan's involvement helped keep the flick a little grounded, but. . . his tendency towards grittiness smears Supes a little.  I'm not thrilled that the writers painted Supes into that corner with Zod at the end-- there had to be another way out.

#332 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

View Postpetedude, on 28 December 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:

Nolan's involvement helped keep the flick a little grounded, but. . . his tendency towards grittiness smears Supes a little.  I'm not thrilled that the writers painted Supes into that corner with Zod at the end-- there had to be another way out.

And yet during the battle over Metropolis people complained that Superman wasn't saving people's lives, then when kills Zod to save a family it's hard to get upset about. Not killing Zod meant IMO making the same mistake that Star Trek Into Darkness made by not killing Khan off, that is sometime in the future he can come back. Geting rid of Zod means Superman won't have to face him again.

#333 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, I was all for killing Zod, no problem with that at all.

#334 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:45 AM

I didn't have much of a problem with him killing Zod either. When it first happened, yeah, but afterwards I was okay with it. Like I've said before, Zod seems to be the one villain Superman just can't help but kill.

I thought Cavill did a great job as Superman. He sold it to me. I'm ready to see him suit up again for the sequel or mini-Justice League movie or whatever it's turning into.

And yet during the battle over Metropolis people complained that Superman wasn't saving people's lives, then when kills Zod to save a family it's hard to get upset about. Not killing Zod meant IMO making the same mistake that Star Trek Into Darkness made by not killing Khan off, that is sometime in the future he can come back. Geting rid of Zod means Superman won't have to face him again.

I wouldn't have minded if Zod was sent back to the Phantom Zone but killing him works fine. Honestly I do hope Faora returns though. I loved her in the movie and she didn't get nearly enough screentime, IMO. That was one badass Kryptonian warrior.

Effects were great, but it sometimes felt like the 300 guy was trying too hard to wow people visually at the expense of the story.

Compared to his other movies I actually thought he showed great restraint in the visuals department. Yeah there were a ton of visual effects but I never thought they overpowered the movie. The fight against the world engine, the battle in Smallville, and the final fight against Zod were all amazing and done really well.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users