• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

hhmm, OT because it's an issue? or Lifestyle because it's sociological, and 'how we live'?
erm,
I'll put this here

I have always seen the many who view sex as an athletic exercise that is about the doing itself, and the other many who view sex as, and only as, or supposed to be only as, an integral part of the loyalty relationship, the romance, the monogamy, the marriage, the whole package, and then the whole idea of Cheating comes in.

in every movie, in every lunchroom conversation, we hear this whole 'but he cheated on me' thing- and that all comes from the expectations- so where did these expectations come from?

and so we see the one millions who grasp those expectations, and the other millions who get divorce papers with the word Cheated, and police arrive at domestic altercation house and hear the word Cheated, and mums-in-law and aunties consoling and comforting in a parlour wiht the word Cheated hanging, and hell even that late night TV show, Cheaters

http://www.cnn.com/2...iage/index.html

' The evidence shows that monogamy is a rarity among mammals. Only 3% to 5% of all the mammal species on Earth "practice any form of monogamy." In fact, no mammal species has been proven to be truly monogamous.
One species, the prairie vole was subjected to scrutiny by biologists because it appeared to be truly monogamous. But it turns out that as a species, it just has a very high rate of sexual monogamy. Not every prairie vole resists straying.
Studies of prairie voles helped scientists understand that from a chemical and biological standpoint, sexual monogamy depends not just on particular hormones that are released in the brain, but on receptors for these hormones.
Among humans, here's the rub: we have the chemicals and the receptors, but it varies from person to person how much we have. Based on brain wiring alone, inclination toward fidelity can vary dramatically from one individual to another.
In other words, "once a cheater, always a cheater," might have as much to do with brain wiring as with a person's moral compass, upbringing or culture.
The bottom line is that flings are far from folly, at least in the animal kingdom. Even swans -- symbols of fidelity -- are not immune.
'

' Marrying for love is a relatively new concept. Beginning with Enlightenment -- the cultural movement of the 18th and 19th centuries -- when the pursuit of happiness became a legitimate human pursuit, marrying for love slowly but surely became an aspiration in the Western world.
But for most of human history, marriage was primarily a socioeconomic transaction. Spending the rest of your life with someone was more about the protection of property and the sharing of labor than it was about romance.

The side effect of the rise of marriage as a romantic proposition was that sexual jealousy became a more prevalent ingredient in marriage than it had been previously. Over time, sexual fidelity has come to be regarded as the barometer of a successful marriage -- regardless of what science tells us about natural human inclinations.
'

So, which is it for you, and hey, your whole take on this Loyalty thing, this Monogamous thing, this whole Cheated thing, this whole Expectation thing?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Laslocky, heartbreak, monogamy, sex

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users