#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Texas Abortion Bill Fails After Challenge

http://talkingpoints...r-challenge.php

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Hundreds of jeering protesters helped stop Texas lawmakers from passing one of the toughest abortion measures in the country, shouting down Senate Republicans and forcing them to miss a midnight deadline to pass the bill.
Initially, Republicans insisted they had started voting before the midnight deadline and passed the bill that Democrats spent much of Tuesday filibustering. But after official computer records and printouts of the voting record showed the vote took place on Wednesday, and then were changed to read Tuesday, senators convened for a private meeting.
An hour later, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst was still insisting the 19-10 vote was in time, but said, “with all the ruckus and noise going on, I couldn’t sign the bill.”
He denounced the more than 400 protesters who staged what they called “a people’s filibuster” from 11:45 p.m. to well past midnight. He denied mishandling the debate...
Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, spent most of the day staging an old-fashioned filibuster, attracting wide support, including a mention from President Barack Obama’s campaign Twitter account...
Rules stipulated she remain standing, not lean on her desk or take any breaks — even for meals or to use the bathroom. But she also was required to stay on topic, and Republicans pointed out a mistake and later protested again when another lawmaker helped her with a back brace.
Republican Sen. Donna Campbell called the third point of order because of Davis’ remarks about a previous law concerning sonograms. Under the rules, lawmakers can vote to end a filibuster after three sustained points of order...
In her opening remarks, Davis said she was “rising on the floor today to humbly give voice to thousands of Texans” and called Republican efforts to pass the bill a “raw abuse of power.”
Democrats chose Davis, of Fort Worth, to lead the effort because of her background as a woman who had her first child as a teenager and went on to graduate from Harvard Law School....

Oh yeah, it's the computer lying, Mr Lt Gov?   :sarcasm:

Wendy is my hero.  So are the people of the "people's filibuster."   :thumbs-up:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

A great victory for the women of Texas.
Rejected and gone.

#3 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Which reminds me I need to send Wendy Davis a letter of thanks.  I may not be anywhere near Texas, but I appreciate what she did.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

And because of the redistricting laws being upheld, her state senate seat is now under attack.  I think she'd make a great governor of Texas.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostNonny, on 26 June 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

And because of the redistricting laws being upheld, her state senate seat is now under attack.  I think she'd make a great governor of Texas.

She is definitely a very gutsy woman!  I wouldn't mind reading more about her in the news; teen mom to Harvard grad is pretty impressive in itself.

Peridot
Posted Image

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

And Perry calls another special session.  :mad:
Posted Image

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yeah how DARE the PEOPLE organize a protest.  How DARE they.   Perry is an ass.
Posted Image

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Wendy Davis Responds To Perry’s Inevitable Second Special Session

http://samuel-warde....pecial-session/

“Misplaced priorities of legislative leaders squandered a tremendous opportunity to make much needed improvements in our transportation infrastructure and help create good jobs and bring businesses to Texas. Despite urging by responsible members of the Senate to bring up the matter of transportation, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst derailed as much as much as $1 billion per year in transportation funding by stubbornly pushing divisive, failed legislation attacking women’s health care options.
If leaders are serious about using this second called special session to improve the lives of Texans by repairing and expanding our transportation networks, they will find no greater ally than me. If they intend to keep pushing their extreme personal political agenda ahead of the interests of Texas families, I will not back off of my duty to fight on their behalf.”

Posted Image

#9 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

well if the Texas lt gov spends all his time attacking politics and not helping the improvements for
Texas public.......... then why don't they just vote him out and send him home?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postoffworlder, on 27 June 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

well if the Texas lt gov spends all his time attacking politics and not helping the improvements for
Texas public.......... then why don't they just vote him out and send him home?

Consider his predecessor, then ask yourself, have the voters of Texas actually wanted good government lately?   :sarcasm:
Posted Image

#11 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

The bolded section is an extremely disheartening commentary on the level of accountability in government, and on the willingness of lawmakers to abide by the rules regardless of whether or not the rules play in their favor.

Thrilled as I am the filibuster worked out and killed the bill (at least for the moment), I think what it exposed about shenanigans might be more important.  There were allegedly 200K people watching one of (or combined count?) the livestreams into the Texas Senate chambers, at least hundreds of people watching above the chamber itself, and screencaps have existed for a good long time now... yet the timestamp was still changed.  And, while I don't have a link handy for this, supposedly some of the Senators were uncertain whether they were voting on the bill, or a point of order--this is not a good thing.

If amusement is possible: the shoes Sen. Davis wore for the filibuster have gotten some hilarious reviews on Amazon, CNN has gotten nicely panned for talking about the calorie count in blueberry muffins (paging fans of The West Wing) during the filibuster instead of covering it, and the Texas Senate clock now has a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TXSenateClock (warning: strong language, capslock abuse).

Edited by Anakam, 30 June 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#12 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostAnakam, on 30 June 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

The bolded section is an extremely disheartening commentary on the level of accountability in government, and on the willingness of lawmakers to abide by the rules regardless of whether or not the rules play in their favor.

Thrilled as I am the filibuster worked out and killed the bill (at least for the moment), I think what it exposed about shenanigans might be more important.  There were allegedly 200K people watching one of (or combined count?) the livestreams into the Texas Senate chambers, at least hundreds of people watching above the chamber itself, and screencaps have existed for a good long time now... yet the timestamp was still changed.  And, while I don't have a link handy for this, supposedly some of the Senators were uncertain whether they were voting on the bill, or a point of order--this is not a good thing.

If amusement is possible: the shoes Sen. Davis wore for the filibuster have gotten some hilarious reviews on Amazon, CNN has gotten nicely panned for talking about the calorie count in blueberry muffins (paging fans of The West Wing) during the filibuster instead of covering it, and the Texas Senate clock now has a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TXSenateClock (warning: strong language, capslock abuse).

Well, you know what your great-grandmother used to say:  "It's no laughing matter, but it's no matter if you laugh!" So yes, amusement is possible; humor is one of the ways to show solidarity in a conflict, as well as being one of the really healthy ways to cope with stress.

And yes, some of those reviews were indeed hilarious....not to mention the....errr...musings of the clock.... :angel:

Oh, and as a general comment, I believe there may be a petition out there somewhere to show support for Senator Davis.  I liked the idea that Nikcara mentioned upthread, of sending a letter of thanks. :thumbs-up:  If anyone knows how to find an e-mail for the senator, maybe they could post it?

Peridot
Posted Image

#13 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Perry goes to war- with this session law they have in Texas, where he can call a session, and they can only discuss the item he brings in it, and he can call another, and, and... in other words try to shove through a new law - so the sides gird up for war this month: http://www.foxnews.c...ont-fail-again/
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://www.huffingto...ntent=NewsEntry
Texas Abortion Bill Author In 2007: No Health Care For Unborn Because 'They're Not Born Yet'

WASHINGTON -- Texas State Rep. Jodie Laubenberg ®, the author of the radically anti-abortion bill making its way through the Texas Legislature this week, argued for hours on Tuesday that lawmakers should support her bill because of its strong protections for a person's "pre-born life."
The bill, HB 2, responds to "the definite death to the 70,000-plus babies who have been aborted in this state," Laubenberg said during remarks on the House floor. "HB 2 focuses on both the child and the woman."
But back in 2007, she made the case against treating the unborn as people -- at least, when it comes to qualifying for health care services.
During a House debate on an appropriations bill that year, Laubenberg, a staunch conservative, put forward an amendment that would require expectant mothers to wait three months before they could begin receiving prenatal and perinatal care under the Children's Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, a program that helps cover uninsured children in low-income families.
Laubenberg's amendment drew criticism from Democratic Rep. Rafael Anchia, who said the change would mean that more than 95,000 children, in utero, would be kicked out of the CHIP program. As the two sparred over whether that was true -- Anchia cited CHIP data from hospitals, Laubenberg alleged it was "misinformation" -- Anchia asked if Laubenberg recognized those in-utero babies as people.
"You do know, don't you, that these are U.S. citizens?" Anchia asked.
"But they're not born yet," Laubenberg said.

Another "pro-life" hypocrite.  Imagine that.   :sarcasm:
Posted Image

#15 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth

Now, I'm not a supporter of abortion unless it's needed to save the life of the mother (as in Nonny's case), or in the case of rape/incest. But I'm not going to condemn a woman who gets an abortion simply because she doesn't want the baby (or for any other reason). That's none of my business.

But if she's going to support an anti-abortion bill and deny those unborn the right to CHIP, well, she should be called out for her hypocrisy.

#16 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

With a very heavy heart, I just cancelled my reservations for a trip to Texas planned for November.  The fb comments of two of my nieces, both of whom know they have two aunts whose lives were saved by abortions and another aunt who had one for other reasons, stunned me, and I just don't want to be around them them for a good, long while.  I'm not planning on saying anything about it, just not showing up.   :(
Posted Image

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}

Can't say I blame you

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Remember Wendy Davis?

TX State Sen. Wendy Davis Wins Lawsuit Against Racist GOP Redistricting Plan

From Lone Star Project:

Earlier today (Wednesday), the three-judge Federal District Court in San Antonio handling the Texas redistricting litigation entered a final judgment in the Texas State Senate redistricting law suit.  In its ruling, the Court made clear that Wendy Davis and her fellow plaintiffs in the case won and Greg Abbott, representing the Republican state leadership, lost.
Greg Abbott served as the primary legal counsel to the State of Texas during the consideration of redistricting by the Legislature and defended the State’s redistricting plans in federal court. His efforts in redistricting have been nothing short of an embarrassing debacle.
Abbott advised the Legislature to configure and adopt redistricting plans that the federal courts ruled to be in violation of the US Voting Rights Act. Two of the three redistricting plans were ruled to be drawn with discriminatory intent. Abbott has spent millions of dollars in Texas taxpayer funds to unsuccessfully defend redistricting plans that were unfair and illegal. Abbott’s actions go beyond partisanship to illustrate profound incompetence and open hostility to Hispanics, African Americans and other fair-minded Texans.

Her state senate seat was under attack, and now it's not.  I'm still hoping she runs for governor and wins.
Posted Image

#19 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

I guess you could say that this bill got
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
ABORTED

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

:freakoutnonny:  :eek4:  :lol:  :howling:  :D
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wendy Davis, Texas, abortion, abortion Vote

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users