• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

for those wondering, How? Sochi? how can they?
http://www.cbc.ca/sp.../discoversochi/
' Discover Sochi ' __ by CBC
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

yes, Sochi is just round the bend(in more ways of that expression than one?) ...
but here the skaters gear up, prep, compete, the 'Winter!' is on for sport,
http://olympics.cbc....grand-prix.html

' The three-time world champion from Canada improved his own world record in the men's short program to take the lead at the Trophee Bompard. Chan began with a perfectly executed quad toe loop-triple toe loop jump. He then nailed a triple axel and a triple lutz before rounding out his program with a lightning-fast step sequence to score 98.52 points. That bettered his mark of 98.37 set at the worlds in March.

"I was ecstatic at the way I skated," Chan said. "I didn't even know I broke the record. If I can make a world record at the Olympics it would be amazing. I'm looking at the Olympics, so I'm really focused on that. A world record is a nice thing to say and a nice thing to have."
The 22-year-old Chan was at his graceful best to the sounds of Rachmaninov's "Elegie in E flat" and looks set to win the Paris Grand Prix event for the fourth time.

"It was nice to be in a big space, because that's where I can really flow and push," said Chan, who won Skate Canada last month. "I didn't feel perfect in the air on a lot of the jumps, but that's where training comes into play where you don't have the best air position or jump, but automatic pilot kicks in."
'
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

now wait a minute, waaaaaiiiite just a freakin minute

those crazy russians seem to be getting just a mite bit crazy with this Oly flame stuff eh

you read about how they took the flame up in a _space walk_ ??

now they take the flame down under the seas??

http://news.yahoo.co...3361-slideshow/

'fair and balanced, we report, you decide' ;)

#4 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

now that we hit Jan,

enjoy your gearing up .............................. for Oly,

incl (beside headlines of horror bombings),
the,
Junior World Hockey,
hey it's big up north, big fandome, big audiences, they'r round 18 and the cadets so to speak
for the NHL and the big world and Oly teams,
Can just beat US and took lead in the group A, just as US beat Can in the seniors,ha

and who is working hard, building, for a big showing in the 2014,keep up,

http://olympics.cbc.ca

#5 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

oh hell let's get this in too eh

>
We started with the knowledge that Canada won 14 gold medals and 26 medals in all at the home Olympics in Vancouver/Whistler in 2010.

High water marks in both cases.

We had also tracked the performance of this country’s star athletes on the international stage in the present season and in the ones of the recent past. Both of us came to the table knowing that Canadian athletes are financially better supported by government agencies like “Own the Podium” and private corporations than they’ve been at any point in history.

3 scenarios

In the end we came up with three scenarios.

Firstly, we were wildly optimistic and suggested that there are 49 medal chances for Canadian athletes. Included in that total are the 16 gold medallists or Olympic champions that have the potential to emerge from Sochi 2014.

So…let the party begin!

Secondly, we were extremely pessimistic and concluded that if only sure things panned out, Canada might have to settle for 11 medals and only two of them will be gold.

Let’s face it…we had to consider the euphoria factor of Vancouver and this new Olympic year, which will unfold on faraway shores, could be subject to the hangover effect.

Finally, based on sober, second thought and taking current trends into account we adopted a “realistic” approach to what logically could occur at the 22nd edition of the Olympic Winter Games.

Namely, we believe that Canadian athletes should reasonably expect to produce 24 podium chances, including 10 opportunities for gold-medal victories. For an Olympics in Russia, we figured, that’s not bad.

Then again, who are we to forecast what will happen on the Olympic field of play when all things are considered?

My resolution for this Olympic year is to never do this again.

Why?

It’s simple.

Predicting who will win a game, a race, or ski down a capricious mountain the fastest thus beating the relentless clock, is an inexact science, and therefore, virtually impossible to do with any degree of accuracy.

The intangibles which govern the outcome of sporting competitions, most notably rare ones like the Olympic Games, often overrule the statistical data when it comes to producing champions.

While Canada’s athletes are talented enough, qualified enough, trained enough and supported enough to win on the Olympic stage, there is no guarantee they will at the appointed hour. Only they, in conjunction with their equally equipped rivals, can resolve that one.

And the resolve to be a champion is exactly what it will take.

From beach to snow

Take bobsled pilot Chris Spring for instance.

Born on the Gold Coast of Australia and having only recently secured his Canadian citizenship, Spring survived a near career-ending crash when he overturned his sled in a European competition in January of 2012. Now, along with Jesse Lumsden, considered one of, if not the most powerful brakemen on the planet, Spring is on course to challenge for the podium at the Sanki Sliding Centre in Sochi.

“I mean I grew up on a beach. Surf, sun and everything that goes with that beach lifestyle,” Spring noted just before heading back to Germany and the resumption of the World Cup season. “I had never seen snow until I moved to Calgary in 2006 and to think I’m on the verge of Olympic greatness in bobsleigh…woah! Those can be some heavy thoughts.”

Guay Canada’s most prolific skier

The same factor seems to be at work as the Sochi Games get close for Canada’s most prolific alpine skier of all-time.

Erik Guay has been on fire of late ...........
<
http://olympics.cbc....-for-sochi.html
:o

#6 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

oh hell now it's Jan let's amp up the spirit and get this one in there too, Sibling Rivalry, brother and sis to the games! http://espn.go.com/n...s-espn-magazine , ............. ' Opponents know the feeling. With her unparalleled anticipation and speed, Amanda is always one step ahead of everyone on the ice. The college player of the year fought injuries to lead Minnesota to a national championship and a 41-0-0 record in 2013, then scored the game-winning goal for Team USA against Canada in the world championship. "Each year she's gotten more flawless, if that's even possible," says U.S. teammate Megan Bozek. After Amanda's golden goal, Phil's phone lit up with text messages saying he had a lot to live up to thanks to his sister.

Phil proudly took it in stride -- but also kept pace. He scored 20 goals in a lockout-shortened 2013 season, leading Toronto back to the playoffs for the first time in nine years. In October he signed an eight-year contract extension with the Leafs worth $64 million.

Both players are already stars in their respective hockey universes, but come February they're poised to break away in front of millions more at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. "Amanda is a dominating, explosive player, and so is Phil," says Flames exec Brian Burke, who is one of the architects of the U.S. men's Olympic hockey team.. ' ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users