Texas abortion Vote 2013 Tampon confiscation abortion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

OK, after I stopped laughing I sort of understand the thinking.  This vote could see some demonstrations from the gallery.  I can see women throwing pads and tampons onto the Senate floor.   We can't have that now can we?  I completely understand that a woman armed with a tampon is so much more dangerous than a woman armed with a gun!!

[I still cannot stop laughing at what a PR disaster this really is.  Does no one think about how things LOOK, before they do this kind of stupid stuff?]

http://www.huffingto..._n_3588177.html

Officers clarified that the list of items not permitted in the gallery was not new and that the confiscations were an effort to maintain the "rules of decorum." Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said earlier that law enforcement would "clear the gallery" if chaos erupted during the debate.

"We're going to have strict enforcement. If there are any demonstrations, we are going to clear the gallery," Dewhurst said Thursday. "I hope we don't get to that point but if we do, we do. This is a democracy and we will not be interrupted from doing the people's work by an unruly mob."

Hundreds have protested the Texas abortion bill, which would prohibit abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy and force 37 out of 42 abortion clinics in Texas to close and undergo millions of dollars in upgrades.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

I can't help but wonder how thoroughly are they checking for these items? :p~

Seriously though. Tampons and pads more dangerous than guns? I despair.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

So they figured as long as they were trying to steal women's rights, they may as well steal tampons too?  :headshake:

But seriously, are they confiscating condoms from men?  They could throw those, too!  :facepalm-a1e:   :rolleyes:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 12 July 2013 - 05:55 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wait. So, having things like food (I saw Nutri bars in the box), tampons, what else? Did they take everything from everyone? Change, keys, make-up, etc...? You know, things that would actually hurt if they made contact. Anyway, having tampons thrown at them would be worse than getting shot? huh. I guess I can see that, what's more embarrassing? Having a tampon thrown at you or being shot dead? Hands down, tampon thrown. Yep. ;)

At least they have decided to stop this practice.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#5 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 12 July 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

But seriously, are they confiscating condoms from men?  They could throw those, too!  :facepalm-a1e:   :rolleyes:

SFG

I think I read that Condoms were indeed on the list of items to confiscate.  But, it still makes me laugh out loud.  All these items confiscated before you can get in, but you can keep your gun.  I mean, ironic doesn't even cover it.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well, if they'd rather get shot with a bullet than with a tampon....

That would be one less dummy in the gene pool.

#7 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

With a little creativity you could fire a tampon from a nerf gun.... do you think you could sneak some in as ammo? That way you can exercise your right to bear arms and protest if/when they start doing stupid things.

Edit: Punctuation.

Edited by Balthamos, 13 July 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#8 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

They've been doing stupid things for years now, and they'll probably continue doing stupid things for years to come.

At least they stopped confiscating the tampons/pads/etc.

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I would have laughed, but I have already experienced tampon confiscation.  About thirty years ago, when I was trying to get a refund from a gym that had misrepresented its services and was refusing to live up to its satisfaction guarantee, a malicious complaint was filed against me.  The police didn't bother getting my side of the story, much less noticing that I was perfectly calm, reasonable, and articulate, but knocked me to the ground and hauled me in.  After threatening me if I dared file a complaint (which I, of course, did), my purse was returned to me, sans sanitary product.

About a month later the jerk who owned the gym committed suicide.  It goes around, it comes around.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I don't know, a bunch of women on their period going down to the capital and letting the blood run all over their clothes seems appropriate, to represent the brutality of back alley abortions that will now be more in demand.

Edited by Bobby, 14 July 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#11 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yeah there are no winners here. Now many, many women will be forced to undergo unsafe, dangerous back alley abortions.

Either that or there will be a lot of unwanted babies born to parents who can't afford them. I wonder where the Republicans are after the baby is born? By forcing the woman to have the baby they've become as responsible for the creation that life as either parent. Are they going to make sure that kid they forced into the world won't grow up in poverty?
Rejected and gone.

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostMikoto, on 15 July 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yeah there are no winners here. Now many, many women will be forced to undergo unsafe, dangerous back alley abortions.

Either that or there will be a lot of unwanted babies born to parents who can't afford them. I wonder where the Republicans are after the baby is born? By forcing the woman to have the baby they've become as responsible for the creation that life as either parent. Are they going to make sure that kid they forced into the world won't grow up in poverty?

They require enough kids growing up in poverty to support their unemployment needs.  When the economy is running on 100% employment, somehow money doesn't have as much value as when the working classes are enduring what they call "healthy" competition for jobs.  No, I do not understand how this is supposed to work, I just remember all the hand wringing when unemployment numbers were at their lowest a couple decades ago.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Betcha nobody confiscated condoms from the men.  Betcha nobody even searched the men.
Posted Image

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

No bet.
Posted Image

#15 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

I don't make fool's bets

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Ok, now that I'm done laughing...I swear, when I first heard this I laughed so hard, for a moment, I thought I cracked my ribs...LMAO...

I can understand them wanting to reduce the weight of the women's pocket books...cause a full loaded woman's pocket book can be a deadly weapon.....LMAO! I remember my aunt asking me to hand her her pocketbook....good lord that thing had some serious weight to it. If swung it would've knocked someone out....LMAO. I asked her what the hell she had in it...No lie, she started cleaning it out, and she pulled out a golf ball, along with a bunch of other crap. I asked her why she had a golf ball in there? I mean, what possible reason could she have a golf ball in her purse. She looked at me with a perfectly straight face and said: "If I want to play golf, I'll have a golf ball handy."....LMAO. Guess she figured the golf course wouldn't have golf balls...lol.

As for confiscating women's tampons....If women stopped dating republicans, and told the republicans that until they stopped their attack on women, they would get no sex....I think it would be a record setting repeal of this law.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 16 July 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Betcha nobody confiscated condoms from the men.  Betcha nobody even searched the men.

No bet.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 18 July 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

I can understand them wanting to reduce the weight of the women's pocket books...cause a full loaded woman's pocket book can be a deadly weapon.....LMAO! I remember my aunt asking me to hand her her pocketbook....good lord that thing had some serious weight to it. If swung it would've knocked someone out....LMAO.

Back in the olden days when I was in Air Force tech school, we all got orders to go to the range to shoot, but only the men got to go.  Our orders were red-lined by the base commander.  As we grumbled about it, I suggested that at least we had our pocket books.  The GI handbag was a marvel, designed to deliver a serious blow even empty.   :rolleyes:  :D
Posted Image

#19 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I remember those things, my mom had one when I was little. Dad was in the AF for 21 years before they did something to p*ss him off, and when they said he had to accept it, his exact words were "No, I don't, fill out my retirement." ;)

And it is very hard to do anything to p*ss him off, so that's saying something for the AF :lol:

#20 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Texas officials confiscated jars of urine, feces, bricks and paint as Democrats prepared to protest the abortion vote at the Texas capitol.
--
During these inspections, DPS officers have thus far discovered one jar suspected to contain urine, 18 jars suspected to contain feces, and three bottles suspected to contain paint. All of these items – as well as significant quantities of feminine hygiene products, glitter and confetti possessed by individuals – were required to be discarded; otherwise those individuals were denied entry into the gallery.

link

Love this reaction to it:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, abortion Vote, 2013, Tampon confiscation, abortion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users