• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Like a Complete Unknown, Bob Dylan Is Arrested While On Tour by Rookie Cop Who Has No Idea Who He Is

http://www.alternet....never-heard-him

In a curious incident that either illustrates police overreaction or the widening generation gap—or both—Bob Dylan was arrested while strolling in a sleepy seaside New Jersey town by a rookie cop who didn't even recognize his name.

Residents of Long Branch, New Jersey apparently found the admittedly scruffy looking music legend's behavior "suspicious" and complained to their local, possibly not-terribly-busy police force. A 22-year-old rookie arrived on the scene and demanded identification. Dylan reasonably assumed she'd recognize the name and that would pretty much be that, but no, she ordered him into the back of her car and took him to his hotel to check his story. Dylan was in town to take part in a concert along with WIllie Nelson and John Mellencamp, when he decided to take that fateful stroll.
As the Daily Mail in the UK reports:

Then she radioed her older colleagues at the police station to ask if anyone knew who Bob Dylan was.
'I'm afraid we all fell about laughing,' said Craig Spencer, a senior officer in Long Branch, New Jersey. 'If it was me, I'd have been demanding his autograph, not his ID.
'The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of myDylan albums. Unfortunately, she doesn't know what vinyl is either.'...

As hilarious as this story is, I'm having a hard time imagining a police officer in New Jersey saying "fell about laughing" or "rather a lot."    :freakoutnonny:  :rolleyes:  :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

That rookie is NEVER going to live this down....LMAO.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

And yet why should the rich and famous be treated any differently from the average person?
Rejected and gone.

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostMikoto, on 19 July 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

And yet why should the rich and famous be treated any differently from the average person?

It's not a matter of being treated differently.  Even the average person shouldn't have to be arrested or picked up for questioning for simply walking down the street and looking ragged (a trademark look of Bob Dylan's).  If anything at the most, he should have been questioned and then released.  "Can I see some i.d. sir?  What are you doing walking around these streets at night?  Oh, you're out for a stroll from a hotel?  Can I see your hotel key?  Okay, thanks have a great night sir."  Boom, done.

The focus on the joke is true; a lot of teens and twenty year olds don't know many things from 20 years ago, let alone 30-50 years ago.  I did a small poll about 5-6 years ago amongst the 50+ workers (at a concert venue I'm a supervisor at) ranging from 16-30 (with the average near 20) and 80% couldn't name two songs from The Beatles while about 40% didn't even know who they were at all. (The poll came out maybe 9 months before The Beatles Guitar Hero.  That really changed things.)

The only reason most of them who know who Nirvana was, is because of David Grohl (their former drummer) is the lead singer for the Foo-Fighters.  (And if you don't know either of those band names, it's the same issue, only inversed.)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bob Dylan, rookie cop, New Jersey

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users