#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Calif. Mountain Fire Nears Idyllwild Amid Strong Wind Warnings

http://www.nbclosang...-216134621.html

...On Friday afternoon, Fire spokesman Capt. Mike Lindbery said a storm front headed toward the region in could provide some relief with cooler weather and a chance of rain, but it might make the situation much more volatile with lightning and strong winds.
In the Pine Cove evacuation warning, authorities described a dangerous "ice cap" that could form atop a column of smoke and ash northwest of the fire. The smoke column could create create a thunderstorm, and associated lightning and wind.
"Eventually the weight of the ice will cause the column to collapse. When the column collapses, strong downdraft winds push the fire in multiple directions, placing firefighters at risk," the warning stated....

We've been hoping the rain will clear the air and douse the fire here, but apparently it's just another careful what you wish for kind of situation.   :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I saw lightning early this morning, but it was to the southeast, well away from the fire.  Whew!  The wind died down, the humidity remains high, the fire is about 50% contained.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Good.  I hope they get it completely under control quickly.  I'm glad it's not near where you live.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Mark: I saw the title of this thread and I thought somebody was talking 'bout one of James Taylor's greatest songs.

I heard today the rains had slowed down the wilffires progress in California. That's was great news, I thought.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#5 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

The fire is 92% contained, should be fully contained by tomorrow.  The thunderstorm the other day, which was not the scary kind firefighters were worried about, did help, as does the continuing humidity.

When I drove to the VAMC Monday morning, the smoke really got to me, but had somewhat abated by the time I was heading home.  Yesterday I hardly smelled any smoke at all, there and back.
Posted Image

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,004 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Great news.  I hope they can get it all squelched and that there are no new ones.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

This morning I saw a wisp of smoke coming over the mountain, hopefully the last of it, now that it's contained.  Then the rain started, so, with any luck, it's raining up there too.
Posted Image

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

It seems to be squelched.  We've had less than triple digits for more than a few days, which is good, and the humidity remains high, which is better for fire control than for dry heat lovers, but that's okay.
Posted Image

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,004 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Good, I'm glad it's out.  :nod:

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Now we're waiting for the allergy and chemical sensitivity symptoms to go away.   :freakoutnonny:  :p
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wildfire, rain, weather, lightning

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users