The Last of Us

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

I know this was discussed a little bit in the what are you playing now thread, but I think it deserves its own thread. This is simply an amazing game. If I hadn't played Tomb Raider I would easily give call this game of the year. As it is, I think it's tied between those two.

What really makes this game great is the story and the relationship between Joel and Ellie. It's complicated, messy, heartbreaking, heartwarming, and the soul of the game. I looked forward to seeing them interact more than facing off against hunters or infected. I loved how the game showed their moods even when not in a cut-scene. Like when Ellie is upset that Joel didn't thank her after she saved her life. She doesn't talk, she stays away from Joel, and crosses her arms.

The other characters are just as great. I really liked Bill. He was funny, and I loved his back and forth with Ellie. Henry and Sam were also good additions to the cast. I didn't trust them at first but it was good to see Ellie have someone her own age to talk to.

The game really made me feel like I was in a ruined civilization overrun by marauders and hordes of infected. Going into the big cities was awe-inspiring. The game made the areas large enough so that you don't feel hemmed in and stuck on a linear path. The forests and roads were just as fun to traverse. They did a good job of varying up the environments. Having notes and pictures lying around also helped to show just how horrible things had gotten.

There are just so many good moments to talk about. The entire winter section was mind-blowing. It went in places I did  not expect. Running through the town trying to dodge enemies with a snowstorm blowing across the screen was exhilarating. Pretty much anytime clickers were present and I had to sneak past them was nail biting. Especially in the tunnels towards the end of the game, where there were clickers, runners, and bloaters. Speaking of the end, that entire hospital section was so hard and yet so much fun at the same time. Thank god by then I had gotten decent at stealth kills.

The quiet moments were effective as well. The sewer community was just so sad. Here was a group of people that had banded together to make something good, to help one another out, and one simple mistake ruined it.

Not many video games would be gutsy enough to end the way this one did. Sure, there's some hope but it's also a dark ending and not much gets resolved. Yet it's the only way the game could end and it stayed true to the characters. They wouldn't have acted any other way.

Naughty Dog has really done it again. They've proved that they know how to craft top notch video games that rival the best works from movies, TV, and literature. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did try to turn this into a movie or TV show.  But it really needs to be played. I'd almost suggest buying  PS3 just for this game, it's that good.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, I really did enjoy it, and it's stuck with me a lot.  I can't remember the last time I replayed a game mostly to spend more time with the characters.  Storywise, the world and characters really got under my skin...  I really do hope they revisit this version of the post-apocalypse soon... I love this take on "zombies", overall, and just like with Fallout, makes me want to see what's going on in other parts of the world.  I'd almost be willing to forego an Uncharted 4 to get a Last of Us 2 sooner, and I loves me some Nathan Drake.

The game really made me feel like I was in a ruined civilization overrun by marauders and hordes of infected. Going into the big cities was awe-inspiring.
One of the coolest things for me was how "real" the scavenging felt.  I might have liked there to be a bit more variety in the kinds of "ingredients" you could find, but whenever you went into an area, the components you found mostly made sense for the surroundings (scraps of cloth from an abandoned pile of someone's laundry, sugar in a kitchen area, etc.) and when Joel would jimmy a lock to a door that you knew had probably been closed up tight since the place was originally abandoned, there was always that little rush of excitement at the potential treasure trove on the other side.

Having notes and pictures lying around also helped to show just how horrible things had gotten.

And the way Joel and Ellie would comment or react to what was in the notes was another great piece of immersiveness.  And I agree, the sewer community was especially powerful.

Speaking of the end, that entire hospital section was so hard and yet so much fun at the same time.
Heh... it was actually a bit easy for me.  I was probably being a bad gamer, but by that point in the game, I'd kinda figured out how to game the system, with how after you take out the first three or four, the rest of the guards never come as far as the early rooms, so I'd find a comfy spot, snipe a dude, then run like heck back to the early rooms of the level and wait for them to settle down a bit before heading out again.  I also did a lot of hiding in bathrooms and waiting for them to come around a corner.  :p

Not many video games would be gutsy enough to end the way this one did.

Spoiler

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

I really do hope they revisit this version of the post-apocalypse soon... I love this take on "zombies", overall, and just like with Fallout, makes me want to see what's going on in other parts of the world.  I'd almost be willing to forego an Uncharted 4 to get a Last of Us 2 sooner, and I loves me some Nathan Drake.

I would also like to see them revisit this world again. While I would love to see Joel and Ellie I think they could easily focus on new characters and maybe take the game out west.

And the way Joel and Ellie would comment or react to what was in the notes was another great piece of immersiveness.  And I agree, the sewer community was especially powerful.

Same here. Like when Ellie was reading the diary and couldn't believe that all that girl thought about was boys and what to wear. Or the movie posters for the Twilight-esque movie that Joel had been dragged to see by his daughter.

Heh... it was actually a bit easy for me.  I was probably being a bad gamer, but by that point in the game, I'd kinda figured out how to game the system, with how after you take out the first three or four, the rest of the guards never come as far as the early rooms, so I'd find a comfy spot, snipe a dude, then run like heck back to the early rooms of the level and wait for them to settle down a bit before heading out again.  I also did a lot of hiding in bathrooms and waiting for them to come around a corner.  :p

I did something similar eventually. My problem was is that it seemed every time I fired a gun it brought in more and more enemies. It seemed like a never ending wave so I tried to stick to stealth kills as much as possible.

Spoiler

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users