6 replies to this topic

#1 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

Posted Image

I designed and built a crane to use with my video camera. I can raise and lower the camera, and tilt the camera angle up and down by using the handle attached to the lower arm. To balance the camera, I placed two 5 pound weights on the far end of the upper arm.

I built it out of 3 telescoping legs from a pop-up canopy. I used a speaker stand to mount the crane on, a wheel caster minus the wheel, and a speaker mount.

Posted Image

Here's more pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The weights are positioned so the camera is perfectly balanced. You can raise or lower the crane, let go, and the crane will stay put. By sliding the rear section of the top arm which the weights are fastened to in or out, I can reset the balance for a heavier or lighter camera.

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

That looks brilliant. Looks like it packs up real nice, too. Got a pic of that?

#3 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Here's a picture of the crane broken down to it's three main components. Jib arm, Counter weight, and Speaker stand.
The broom is just to show the size of everything. I could take it apart further by removing bolts, but this much will come apart by simply loosening bolts, removing a pin, and shoving the telescoping jib arms together.

Posted Image

Edited by benesound, 28 July 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#4 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'm using a small laptop as a video monitor for my camera crane. I also constructed a hood out of black foam board to shade the screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

That looks real sweet. I'm jealous.

I recently discovered the joys of foam-core board in a design course. I'd known of it since the 1970s, but mostly saw it in pricey architectural supply stores like Charrette in the Cambridge area. (I just looked up the real intent of the word "charrette" [cart], which I'd always assumed was the owner's name. It's a cool term worth knowing!) Today, Dollar Tree sells black or white sheets of at least 20" x 30" x 3/16" thick (~50x75cm x 4.5mm thick) for $1, and I'm sure other chains carry it (or will soon). I've seen it in colors, too

It's rigid, light, cuts precisely with any knife or razor blade, edge-/corner-glues outstandingly with school glue. It has become one of my favorite prototype materials in the past few months. I use it almost weekly!

It makes great reflector boards, light boxes and small stashable photography/demo stages, too.

#6 benesound

benesound

Ben Eternal Sound

• Islander
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Here's the photos, since Photobucket pix are no longer visible.

Attached Images

• FB_IMG_1538818151021.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1538818164002.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1538818136865.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1538818151021.jpg

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:18 AM

That looks amazing. How long did it take you to do that?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users