Virginia Gov. McDonnell 2013 Ethics Violations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy as far as I'm concerned.  

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z1

A prominent political donor and his dietary supplement company have been cooperating for several months with federal prosecutors in a fast-moving public corruption investigation of Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, according to three people familiar with the probe.

Jonnie R. Williams Sr., chief executive of Star Scientific, has turned over personal financial records and sat for interviews in which he provided firsthand accounts of luxury gifts and more than $120,000 given to McDonnell ® and his family members since 2011, the people said.

Star has given prosecutors access to corporate records and offered information from other company officials. The three spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case is in a sensitive stage.

The cooperation is an ominous sign for McDonnell, suggesting that federal prosecutors are focused on trying to build a potential criminal case against him.
McDonnell has not been charged, and prosecutors ultimately must determine whether they have the evidence to proceed against him.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Isn't he a hardcore social conservative who was in favor of mandating transvaginal ultrasounds for women considering abortions? Or do I have him confused with some other hardcore social conservative? If he's in that camp, I think it's appropriate to call him a douche.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

He is one of the Gov's who pushed the transvaginal ultrasound re: abortions.  I actually think it's a common trend among Republican social conservative Gov's now.  In any event, he was on the short list for Romney's VP pick back in 2012.  Now he's just a Gov in a lot of ethics trouble.  He won't resign, but his future in national politics is gloomy, and that's just fine with me, thank you very much.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virginia, Gov. McDonnell, 2013, Ethics Violations

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users