• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Well I'll be...

This, along with the DOJ's position on Colorado and Washington's legal marijuana is pretty startling.  Good, but startling.  

I know this is sort of not the time to talk about it, I mean this is so good for same sex married couples, but  I'm a little concerned about the Federal Government deciding all on its own to not enforce certain laws.  I mean, if the laws are bad, then repeal them.  Do something besides just, oh I don't know, something besides just say, hey we're gonna do this because we don't need no stinkin' Congress to make the laws.  Today it is these two laws, and like I said, I think it is a good thing, but tomorrow it might be a law we think is just swell, but some President and his DOJ decide "we don't like it so much".

I don't believe in obstructionism, and I do believe that the GOP Congress has been obstructive, but, I'd hate to think that their obstructionism ceded even more power to the Executive Branch. We don't need an Executive Branch with even more power.  The next buy/gal and the one after that might not handle it so well.  Just sayin' there is a reason we have three branches.

http://seattletimes....riagetaxes.html

The government is issuing the regulations needed to allow gay couples married in states that recognize same-sex marriages to file joint federal tax returns.

Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew says the new rules will provide "clear, coherent tax filing guidance for all legally married same-sex couples nationwide."

Lew said the regulations also make clear that legally married same-sex couples will be able to move freely throughout the country and their federal tax filing status will not change.

The new rules implement the tax aspects of the Supreme Court's ruling in June which invalidated a section of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

The new regulations from Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service implement the court's decision on how legally married same-sex couples should be treated for federal tax purposes.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I just called my friend at work to tell him, since his husband is at work too and may not have heard.  When they told me a while back what they had to go through at tax time, I was horrified.  This is a very good thing!   :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Oh, for sure it is a good thing.  I just hope the revise the tax code, so it remains a good thing.  You know, make it official so every administration that comes along follows the new guidelines.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Cait: I'm a little concerned about the Federal Government deciding all on its own to not enforce certain laws.  I mean, if the laws are bad, then repeal them.  Do something besides just, oh I don't know, something besides just say, hey we're gonna do this because we don't need no stinkin' Congress to make the laws.  Today it is these two laws, and like I said, I think it is a good thing, but tomorrow it might be a law we think is just swell, but some President and his DOJ decide "we don't like it so much".

I agree that would be bad, but I don't think that applies here. The federal government is one thing and a state government is another. Our federal income taxes (and benefits) are under federal jurisdiction; the states don't have anything to do with them. And given the SCOTUS ruling on DOMA, the federal government is no longer under any sort of obligation to consider a state's laws regarding same-sex marriage. Considering these underpinnings, I think this isn't executive overreach.

From the article:

The decision came in rules issued by the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service designed to implement the tax aspects of the Supreme Court's decision in June that invalidated a section of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

"Today's ruling provides certainty and clear, coherent tax filing guidance for all legally married same-sex couples nationwide," Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said in a statement.

"This ruling assures legally married same-sex couples that they can move freely throughout the country knowing that their federal filing status will not change," Lew said.

Let's say I lived in a red, red state that decided that God and George Washington would think social security benefits are from The Devil. They pass a law saying so. But since I've paid into the federal retirement insurance system, my crazy-assed state's codified statement against the evils of social security would not supercede my federal benefits. I think that's the same principle here. States can say what they like about homosexuality and gay marriage, but our federal benefits (and responsibilities) are not affected.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

More here on this and a big federal benefit guideline change resulting from overturning DOMA:

http://www.slate.com..._addressed.html

Big news on the post-DOMA front today:

To start, in a win for elderly and aging gay couples across the country, the Department of Health and Human Services announced today that, in the wake of the Supreme Court’s invalidation of Section 3 of DOMA in June, “all beneficiaries in private Medicare plans have access to equal coverage when it comes to care in a nursing home where their spouse lives.” In the memo, Marilyn Tavenner, administrator for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, goes on to explain that, before this decision, “a beneficiary in a same-sex marriage enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan did not have equal access to such coverage and, as a result, could have faced time away from his or her spouse or higher costs because of the way that marriage was defined for this purpose.”

Thanks to this new guidance, same-sex couples no longer need fear the horror of being separated in old age because of bureaucratic restrictions. And, as ThinkProgress explains, the decision will apply to all legally married couples, even if they no longer live in a marriage equality state.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

How on earth did I miss this.  THIS is huge.  THIS is progress.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IRS, LGBT, Joint returns, 2013

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users