Remembering Heroic Fool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Just saw his birthday announced on the front page, and it made me think of him.  It's been a few years now that he has been gone.  It was a tragic death that still makes me sad.  But, lately, I've been trying to focus on the good memories in situations like this one, instead of getting stuck in the painful memories.

Heroic Fool was no box of candy to deal with.  He was arrogant, heavy handed, direct, immovable, stubborn, and that's just the good stuff.  LOL  Just kidding.  He was all those things, plus a good friend.  There were plenty of times I did not understand him, but we were pretty much always friends from the minute we met over at Slipstream.  And, except for a falling out back in 2003, which is chronicled across four message boards I think, we've always had each others backs.

In short, I miss him.

One of my best memories is when he was a long distance trucker and he had the ability to text [Yes, this was before phone texting] short messages.  One night we talked for like 3 hours while he was taking a meal/rest break.  I think we were still role playing over on KHC's board and were talking about some plot point, and his woes with his latest girlfriend.  The reason it is one of my best memories, is because, I had to fit my thoughts into a specific amount of characters.  As many of you may know, I tend to drone on and on, repeating myself.  So, putting a concise thought into xxx amount of characters was a challenge.  He laughed his ass of at my complaining.

I also remember my integration over at SS when I joined the Tyrants.  BobDylanite [there is a name from the past] said something to me and whatever my response was several people came into the thread to say HF would love my attitude.  I was a serious Tyrant.  As it turned out, they were right.  I loved being a Tyrant, and HF did love my attitude.  Well, perhaps love isn't quite the Nietzschean way to put it.  LOL  He was the quintessential Tyrant, and he loved being a Tyrant.  

**takes out the Jamison she saves for such occasions**  "Here's to you HF.  You were one of a kind, and I miss you.  I hope you have finally found the peace you so wanted...

Please share memories if you have them.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

*raises a glass to HF*

I had a complicated relationship with HF, sometimes friends, sometimes not. We would go for long periods without contact and then 'speak' every day. Towards the end it got more complicated, his last messages to me were on FB and they were heart breaking, but my loyalties were so torn :( I wish he was still around and I so miss him, I think of him often.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I guess that's a perfect way to describe relationships with HF--complicated.  Ours was complicated too.  He was a difficult man at best.  Still, I miss him a lot.

I talked to him on the phone about a week before he died.  It was heartbreaking.  He was back in Oregon by then, and I was living up there to, so we were making plans for him to visit me.  I lived on a farm with lots of animals, orchard and garden.  I thought it would do him good.  We never got to have that visit.

Source:

#4 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,331 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Funny how this should come up.  I was recently going through the archived Slipstream threads at Anakam's site andf I actually found the thread where he tail hugged me.  Yes, you heard that right.  The very proud Elite Tyrant tail hugged me.

Oh boy did he take sh*t for that one!  We all piled on him.  But boy was he a good sport and it was oh, so very much fun.  That's the man I remember.  That's the man we all rallied to get back on Siipstream after Lisa permabanned him.  That was my very much missed friend.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I never knew Heroic Fool, but I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how it feels.  :(

* Toasts. *
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostMary Rose, on 18 September 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Funny how this should come up.  I was recently going through the archived Slipstream threads at Anakam's site andf I actually found the thread where he tail hugged me.  Yes, you heard that right.  The very proud Elite Tyrant tail hugged me.

Oh boy did he take sh*t for that one!  We all piled on him.  But boy was he a good sport and it was oh, so very much fun.  That's the man I remember.  That's the man we all rallied to get back on Siipstream after Lisa permabanned him.  That was my very much missed friend.

Damn, I had forgotten all about what Lisa had done to HF.  We did get all up in arms didn't we.  That was a non-stop slug fest in [damn what was the name of the Questions/complaints forum?].  I never typed so fast or said so much, but I suppose it was the precursor to my long winded remarks here on EI in AQG.  LOL  Some skills need to be honed I guess and SS honed the "outraged members against the evil staff" phenomena.  Was it then that the site went down?  I think the timing was pretty close to the HF permaban.  Does anyone remember the timing?

Funny how much of our history is still centered in SS.  I remember when HF began the Elite Tyrants.  That caused a stir too, but not a bad one, just normal Tyrant stuff.  Everyone trying to be as pure a Tyrant as possible.  HF was all into the purity of the Tyrants, while others [I'm looking at you purple ones] were into the "tree" aspects.  LOL  We had us some fun over on SS.  Yes we did.  

Actually it was over the Elite Tyrants that I met Anakam, and we did not start out on a good note.  She and I have laughed quite a few times about our rocky beginning and how we became such good friends.  I think she and I treasure how we met more than anything.

Source:

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I wasn't active on Slipstream, and my interactions with HF were limited to a brief head-butting here, but he struck me then as someone with a lot of pride that masked a lot of sensitivity. I probably would have liked him in RL.....I was sad to hear of his passing. I hope that all he left behind are healing as well as they can. It's a tough thing to deal with. My sincere sympathies.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Specs, a very astute observation.  That is a pretty accurate description of HF.

Source:

#9 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,331 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I went back to the archive site and checked.  The equivilent to what was AQG was Questions, Suggestions and Feedback or QSF for short.

I couldn't swear to the timing but I remember after we got him back I was feeling optomistic that ,hey, Lisa actually listened to us and everything would be all right, after all.  The the OQ were leaked, sh*t hit the fan and everything went down in a flamefest.  So, I don't think it was very long after that the board closed.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#10 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

When we lived in Central Oregon he came in to meet us and we had a nice lunch together. In real life he was nothing like his online persona. He was a interesting person, polite and I do miss him.

LoP

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users