Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Anybody else hopes that the U.S. government shuts down?

Government Shut Down 2013 113th Congress

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

^True, but can you blame anyone for suspecting that this bunch of maroons think that Cruz is in the House? Heck, they think the ACA is a bill, not a law.

Edited by Spectacles, 01 October 2013 - 11:16 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#42 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostOmega, on 01 October 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on 01 October 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Nonny: OTOH I really like all the speculation about how Boehner will lose the speakership to Ted Cruz..  Really?  They'll recruit a Speaker from the Senate? :howling:

OMG really?!? :D  Where did you come across that. I need a bellylaugh right about now...

Strictly, anyone can be Speaker of the House. There's no requirement that they be an actual member. Rep. Cooper (TN-5) suggested Colin Powell as speaker last time around.

Seriously?  Someone that high up in the succession can be anybody?  And not even elected?  I did not know that!   :oh:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#43 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

That's my understanding. I'm checking on the Politics Stack Exchange now.
http://politics.stac...representatives

#44 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Laura Ingraham: ‘Sob stories’ from injured veterans will make GOP cave on shutdown

http://www.rawstory....ve-on-shutdown/

Fox News contributor and sometime “O’Reilly Factor” host Laura Ingraham predicted on “Fox and Friends” Tuesday morning that the government shutdown will end when the media starts pushing “sob stories” about injured veterans who can’t get care because of the federal closure...
After briefly rejoicing that the shutdown will make it so much easier to drive during the day in Washington, D.C., Ingraham announced that the whole shutdown debacle should be called the “Countdown to Cave-In” because she knows that establishment Republicans will be too cowardly to hold the line....

This disabled veteran would love to give her something to sob about.   :mad:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#45 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hadn't thought of this, but the website is healthcare.GOV and not .org, .com, .net or whatever.  Apparently there is some confusion, and a potential for phishing.
Posted Image

#46 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's now Democrats' turn to be pissed

http://www.dailykos....detail=facebook

... They're going on the offense. For example, it looks like Senate Democrats leaked these private emails from House Speaker John Bohner's staff. Hardball tactics? Damn right. And look what else is up ahead:

I also spoke to a leading Democratic congresscritter over the weekend who told me that, very soon, the Democrats in the Senate will start going through the sequester line-by-line, demanding public votes on funding things like medical research and environmental protections, and sticking Republicans with a choice of being for or against curing, say, Alzheimer's Disease or cancer.

It is time Republicans face the repercussions of their actions. They have been so worried about their Right flank, that their left is wholly exposed to a counterattack, and Democrats are finally charging ahead.
The effects on our country will be difficult, and given the debt limit fight up ahead, could be disastrous. Republicans have chosen this path. There's nothing we can do about that. What we can do is do everything in our power to make sure Republicans pay the price....

Oh please make them pay!
Posted Image

#47 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostNonny, on 01 October 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hadn't thought of this, but the website is healthcare.GOV and not .org, .com, .net or whatever.  Apparently there is some confusion, and a potential for phishing.

And apparently healthcare.gov has crashed due to the high volume of folks trying to enroll.
Posted Image

#48 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

At first I read, it was in Guardian or Yahoo own news, somewhere, maybe also in
Washpost? that: US military would continue to work, on duty, show up each morning, and
not be paid, and part of their duty is trust, that their accruing of pay will catch up to them, not lost
just delayed til the budget gets going...

but in this, http://www.kpbs.org/...nment-shutdown/
at the SanDiego tv news, we see that Barack signed the HR3210, military will receive pay despite-
Pay Our Military Act,
' The Senate approved the measure on Monday, and the president signed it when it arrived on his desk.
Under H.R. 3210, some Pentagon civilian employees will also get paid on time, as will certain defense contractors.
Just before signing the Pay Our Military Act, the president recorded a message for service members..'

whew, i know they would do duty, show up, we trust them, but still, many do not have the savings built of some senators and such, and have monthly costs without much cushion and it is right that those who sign on that line and 'walk that wall' keep up with their bills n'est ce pas? ;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#49 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Jimmy Kimmel Asks Pedestrians If They Prefer Obamacare Or The Affordable Care Act

http://www.huffingto...037&ir=Politics

:freakoutnonny:  :howling:  :D
Posted Image

#50 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Here is a list of Republicans ready to fund the government with a clean bill.  We should remember which ones thought about real governance and serving the people.

http://www.huffingto...hp_ref=politics

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#51 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Interesting editorial here....

http://www.washingto...-spoiled-brats/

All this would be bad enough if a shutdown was the biggest harm that these spoiled brats and their far-right enablers could inflict on the country. But it is looking ever more likely that Republicans, still in thrall to a minority faction, will make ending the shutdown part of the debt-ceiling negotiations, thus threatening what President Obama accurately described as an “economic shutdown” as well. In other words, having lost at the ballot box and in the courts, Republicans will take our economy hostage to undercut the law of the land.
Such recklessness recalls the words of Abraham Lincoln to Southerners in 1860: “Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events.” The tea party’s “rule or ruin” extortion is fundamentally undemocratic; the president and the American people are right not to stand for it.

Source:

#52 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Interesting detail from Ed Rendell on Hardball last night - The GOP controls the House by 17 seats.  The core of the Tea Party is pretty secure due to gerrymandering (their districts are overwhelmingly white/Republican now even as the electorate as a whole has grown much more diverse), but there remain about 40 so-called "moderates" in districts that could potentially swing next fall if the shutdown narrative still has currency.  So it's a heavy lift, but not impossible in the current circumstance to forecast Democrats retaking the house.  

Regardless of how that plays out, I think Boehner is done.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#53 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

This is what I think about House Republicans... They have found a way around the Constitution they claim to love so much.  They refuse to try and repeal the law through constitutional process and instead are using the shut down to extort what they want.  It is cowardly and it is constitutionally reprehensible.  They do not know how to govern in our Republic.  I am so ashamed of this whole mess.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-r-stone/house-republicans-and-the_b_4027251.html

What makes the House Republicans' decision to shut down the federal government an immoral and unconscionable "threat" rather than an ordinary political disagreement? The answer is simple. House Republicans who do not have the votes to repeal Obamacare through the processes of democracy threatened to close the federal government, to throw hundreds of thousands of innocent government employees out of work, and to damage the nation's economy unless the Senate and the President acceded to their demands. By threatening to wreak havoc with the national interest and inflicting serious harm on hard-working, loyal public employees, they are attempting to coerce rather than to persuade the government into doing what they want. The House Republicans, in short, are holding the nation itself hostage to their demands. This is not democratic governance. This is extortion, plain and simple. In any other circumstance, this would be criminal conduct.

Of course, as the House Republicans glibly say on the talk shows, the Senate and the President can "solve" the problem any time they want by giving in to those who are inflicting ongoing harm to the nation. But if they do so, they will inevitably invite similarly destructive behavior in the future. When dealing with a blackmailer, extortionist, or kidnapper, it is never a wise response to give in to the demands if the blackmailer, extortionist or kidnapper is a repeat player.

Edited to add:  I think that Obama brought some of this on by giving in on so many demands from Republicans early on in his Presidency.  I'm pretty sure Republicans believed the Democrats would cave [and they still might], just as they always have.  It will be interesting [if not catastrophic] to see how the debt ceiling is handled.

Source:

#54 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I keep hearing references to there being a small (~30) body of Republicans being responsible for this whole thing. But I never see a list. Who are they, and how can we express our extreme displeasure with their near-traitorous activity?

#55 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

View PostOmega, on 03 October 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I keep hearing references to there being a small (~30) body of Republicans being responsible for this whole thing. But I never see a list. Who are they, and how can we express our extreme displeasure with their near-traitorous activity?

I'm in a hurry, so all I have is a blog link from somewhere I lurk at, but it does cite a report in the graphic.

http://www.newyorker...-geography.html

There's a link to the letter in the post. http://meadows.house...efundLetter.pdf

Also, was slightly amused by this cap from Twitter (got reminded of it by the quoted article in Cait's last post):
Posted Image

Edited by Anakam, 03 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#56 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostAnakam, on 03 October 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostOmega, on 03 October 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I'm in a hurry, so all I have is a blog link from somewhere I lurk at, but it does cite a report in the graphic.

http://www.newyorker...-geography.html

Thanks!  I see from that map that if we hadn't replaced Mary Bono Mack, the entire east side of the state would be red.   :oh:

There's a link to the letter in the post. http://meadows.house...efundLetter.pdf

I'd like to find a legible list of the signers, with state and district.  My favorite part of the letter is "PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER."   :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#57 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

The Senate Continuing Resolution Is Already a Compromise

Posted Image

Not only is the Senate CR for FY 2014 over $100 billion less than Paul Ryan's own previous plan, it's exactly the number Boehner requested and got passed through the House. Many Democrats wanted to fight for a better deal, but as usual, party leadership caved, and as usual, Republicans responded with more demands. Obamacare itself is a major compromise (virtually identitical to Romneycare, full of Republican ideas like giving massive subsidies to the insurance industry, blocking a public option and not allowing the government to negotiate for cheaper drug prices). Republicans now think they can fool the public into believing they're the reasonable party that just wants negotiation and compromise, and sadly they might be right, but Obama must stand firm or these hostage situations will never end and the demands will only get worse.

Edited by cade, 04 October 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#58 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

It happened this morning.  While walking with neighbors walking their dogs (it's the dogs I like) I was taunted with All Our Muslim President's Fault crap.  Of course I pointed out their errors to them, and didn't even call their views stupid until one of them started shouting at me.  Yeah, way to communicate with a PTSD veteran, you phony patriot chickenhawk.  One of them even agreed that Reagan was a very bad man, but her comeback was, at least he wasn't a Muslim.  Honestly, the crazy is strong in some folks.
Posted Image

#59 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm starting to hit such people with things like "Your attitude is totally unAmerican." If that won't wake them up, I don't know what will.

#60 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

I had a friend of a friend on FB say that this was "mostly Obama's fault", so I explained that this was an issue with Congress and that the President really had nothing to do with it. He responded with "I'm not going to defend my thoughts to you, that's just how I feel". I'm sitting here thinking "Well, if I feel like this is all Superman's fault " ain't no one gonna take that seriously.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users