Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Anybody else hopes that the U.S. government shuts down?

Government Shut Down 2013 113th Congress

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

One thing good about the fed shutdown: the KKK cannot meet in the Gettysburg battlefield! ha

http://www.theguardi...efield-shutdown
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#62 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostNonny, on 03 October 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

I'd like to find a legible list of the signers, with state and district.

Well, I know that the one in Iowa is Republican Steve King, 4th District. So, there is one. :)

Thankfully, not my district. :)
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#63 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

hell the brits know more about it than I do?
;)
(snikker, but hey those foreign corrs live there I dont)

the BBC take on 'the conservative causus' - the 'weird caucus' or the 'suicide caucus' ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-24388669

' The rebellious faction hails from solidly conservative, mostly rural areas across the country. They've been called the "weird caucus" by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and the "suicide caucus" by Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer, in reference to a disregard for their party's survival. They sometimes refer to themselves as "wacko birds", adopting as their own the derisive label given to them by Republican Senator John McCain.

Time and again - in national security debates, immigration reform, disaster relief, defence authorisations, and even agriculture appropriations - Mr Boehner has found his position undermined by these rebellious legislators. Buoyed by the Tea Party, the backbenchers are unswayed by the kinds of carrots and sticks that kept their predecessors in line.

This group includes Justin Amash of Michigan - who has voted against his party's leadership 126 times, more than any other Republican House member. At the end of last year, he was one of four Republican congressmen stripped of committee seats because of political apostasy.

Undeterred, on 24 July he bucked leadership once again. He led efforts to curtail drastically the warrantless surveillance programme of the National Security Agency (NSA), which failed by only 12 votes.

Steve King of Iowa is another thorn in Mr Boehner's side, working all year to round up votes to block a bipartisan immigration reform bill passed by the Senate - if it comes to the floor of the House. Marlin Stutzman of Indiana helped kill a leadership-backed agriculture bill because it contained funding for food stamps. Scott Rigell of Virginia was one of the first to demand that a reluctant Mr Boehner call the House back from recess in August to vote on strikes against Syria.

Paul Broun of Georgia, who is currently running for a Senate seat, said he would not vote for legislation that "does not fit the Judeo-Christian biblical principles that our country was founded on".

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid called intransigent Republicans the "weird caucus"
He has voted against House leadership 84 times, including on a January bill to provide disaster aid for Hurricane Sandy victims.

"The thing that's different about these Republicans is their unwillingness to bargain," says Vanderbilt University public policy professor Bruce Oppenheimer.

"I'm not sure if it's because they lack government experience or they've made such strong promises to their constituencies, but they've put their feet in cement and can't or won't move."

Ryan Lizza of the New Yorker looked at their congressional districts and found that, wacko or not, these representatives are reflecting the will of the voters who sent them to Washington, a decidedly different demographic than America at large.

'
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#64 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yep. They're Tea Party Republicans, voted into office by people who get their "news" from Fox and Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh and their buddy Earl at the corner bar. It would be amusing to see the GOP cannibalized by its own propaganda zombies, but they've managed to hurt everyone in their stupidity.

Edited by Spectacles, 05 October 2013 - 07:47 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#65 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'd like to find a legible list of the signers, with state and district.  My favorite part of the letter is "PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER."   :rolleyes:

Sorry, Nonny, haven't got that handy. :( I tried futzing around with the map in the blog and a map of Congress (http://www.govtrack....ess/members/map), but since the map didn't have pop-ups of who was in what district, at least for me, it'd take a while to find everybody.  We need a political nerd in here who has all the members of Congress, and their districts, memorized!

And *snort* I missed the recycled paper.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#66 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

^I'm surprised there weren't a lot of Xs for signatures. It's impressive that these folks even know how to sign their names.

Seriously, what do you y'all think? Do you think that most of these Teapublicans (or Teabirchers, as Nonny calls 'em) really BELIEVE all this crap about Obamacare? Or are they just cynically playing to the peaNUT galleries in their districts?

Of course, some are true believers but some are just smarmy politicians who don't mind if the country goes down the tubes as long as they can keep their supporters mad and stupid so they'll be re-elected.

I just wonder from time to time the percentages: those who are true believers vs. those who are just manipulative.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#67 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

View Postcade, on 04 October 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

The Senate Continuing Resolution Is Already a Compromise

Posted Image

Not only is the Senate CR for FY 2014 over $100 billion less than Paul Ryan's own previous plan, it's exactly the number Boehner requested and got passed through the House. Many Democrats wanted to fight for a better deal, but as usual, party leadership caved, and as usual, Republicans responded with more demands. Obamacare itself is a major compromise (virtually identitical to Romneycare, full of Republican ideas like giving massive subsidies to the insurance industry, blocking a public option and not allowing the government to negotiate for cheaper drug prices). Republicans now think they can fool the public into believing they're the reasonable party that just wants negotiation and compromise, and sadly they might be right, but Obama must stand firm or these hostage situations will never end and the demands will only get worse.

Yep.

And very good to see you posting again, cade. I always appreciated your substantive posts. :)

I hope you stick around. These are dark days and I find comfort in running into sane people.

#68 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Great editorial here....  http://nymag.com/new...utdown-2013-10/

The debt ceiling turns out to be unexploded ordnance lying around the American form of government. Only custom or moral compunction stops the opposition party from using it to nullify the president’s powers, or, for that matter, the president from using it to nullify Congress’s. (Obama could, theoretically, threaten to veto a debt ceiling hike unless Congress attaches it to the creation of single-payer health insurance.) To weaponize the debt ceiling, you must be willing to inflict harm on millions of innocent people. It is a shockingly powerful self-destruct button built into our very system of government, but only useful for the most ideologically hardened or borderline sociopathic. But it turns out to be the perfect tool for the contemporary GOP: a party large enough to control a chamber of Congress yet too small to win the presidency, and infused with a dangerous, millenarian combination of overheated Randian paranoia and fully justified fear of adverse demographic trends. The only thing that limits the debt ceiling’s potency at the moment is the widespread suspicion that Boehner is too old school, too lacking in the Leninist will to power that fires his newer co-partisans, to actually carry out his threat. (He has suggested as much to some colleagues in private.) Boehner himself is thus the one weak link in the House Republicans’ ability to carry out a kind of rolling coup against the Obama administration. Unfortunately, Boehner’s control of his chamber is tenuous enough that, like the ailing monarch of a crumbling regime, it’s impossible to strike an agreement with him in full security it will be carried out.

[...]

How to settle this dispute? Here is where Linz’s analysis rings chillingly true: “There is no democratic principle on the basis of which it can be resolved, and the mechanisms the Constitution might provide are likely to prove too complicated and aridly legalistic to be of much force in the eyes of the electorate.” This is a fight with no rules. The power struggle will be resolved as a pure contest of willpower.

In our Founders’ defense, it’s hard to design any political system strong enough to withstand a party as ideologically radical and epistemically closed as the contemporary GOP. (Its proximate casus belli—forestalling the onset of universal health insurance—is alien to every other major conservative party in the industrialized world.) The tea-party insurgents turn out to be right that the Obama era has seen a fundamental challenge to the constitutional order of American government. They were wrong about who was waging it.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#69 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostAnakam, on 05 October 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

I'd like to find a legible list of the signers, with state and district.  My favorite part of the letter is "PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER."   :rolleyes:

Sorry, Nonny, haven't got that handy. :( I tried futzing around with the map in the blog and a map of Congress (http://www.govtrack....ess/members/map), but since the map didn't have pop-ups of who was in what district, at least for me, it'd take a while to find everybody.  We need a political nerd in here who has all the members of Congress, and their districts, memorized!

Yeah, I kept checking for pop-ups.  Funny, how I've come to expect them.   :D

And *snort* I missed the recycled paper.

It certainly is a pearl among swine.   :lol:

View PostSpectacles, on 05 October 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Seriously, what do you y'all think? Do you think that most of these Teapublicans (or Teabirchers, as Nonny calls 'em) really BELIEVE all this crap about Obamacare? Or are they just cynically playing to the peaNUT galleries in their districts?

I got teabirchers from a Facebook friend.  I adopted it immediately.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#70 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Nonny: I got teabirchers from a Facebook friend.  I adopted it immediately.   :)

It's a perfect description of the ideology. After all the "tea party movement" that people think they're a part of is really a far-right propaganda circle funded primarily by the Koch brothers, who are extremely wealthy, extremely right-wing businessmen whose daddy was a founding member of the John Birch Society.

http://thinkprogress...elebrates-koch/

I know Nonny and others are old enough (like me) to recall that even conservatives used to look at the "Birchers" as kooks. They were perceived as a cult of conspiracy nuts. Now, they present us with Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin and assorted other media personalities (and form VP candidate) who spout utter nonsense. But it's utter nonsense that an uncomfortable portion of Americans latch on to.

People--some of whom are very dear to me--think that the government shutdown is A-OK because we must be protected from Obamacare.

They think Obamacare has something to do with Obama giving their money to poor black people. And they are damned tired of their tax dollars going to poor black people.

And they don't know that it's a law, that it has been for three years, that it has helped most of them because it prevents insurers from imposing lifetime limits and denials of coverage due to pre-existing conditions, caps out-of-pocket expense, allows young adults to stay on their parents' insurance until 26, mandates that all insurers provide preventive screenings without copays. etc.

And they don't know that the subsidies for the insurances policies available through state exchanges are given to individuals who make up to $45,960 and families of four who make up to 94,200.

#71 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Interesting. Just found this article in today's NYT about how this shut-down was orchestrated by the Kochs and other right-wing kooks:

http://www.nytimes.c...ng.html?hp&_r=0

#72 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

So, once again!, my home state is bringing me shame by stopping Welfare checks during the shutdown. They art the only state to do so.

In other news, did anyone else catch that great sketch SNL did about the shutdown? I leave it here, in cased ya missed it:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/542149
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#73 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 06 October 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Nonny: I got teabirchers from a Facebook friend.  I adopted it immediately.   :)

It's a perfect description of the ideology. After all the "tea party movement" that people think they're a part of is really a far-right propaganda circle funded primarily by the Koch brothers, who are extremely wealthy, extremely right-wing businessmen whose daddy was a founding member of the John Birch Society.

http://thinkprogress...elebrates-koch/

I know Nonny and others are old enough (like me) to recall that even conservatives used to look at the "Birchers" as kooks. They were perceived as a cult of conspiracy nuts. Now, they present us with Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin and assorted other media personalities (and form VP candidate) who spout utter nonsense. But it's utter nonsense that an uncomfortable portion of Americans latch on to.

People--some of whom are very dear to me--think that the government shutdown is A-OK because we must be protected from Obamacare.

They think Obamacare has something to do with Obama giving their money to poor black people. And they are damned tired of their tax dollars going to poor black people.

And they don't know that it's a law, that it has been for three years, that it has helped most of them because it prevents insurers from imposing lifetime limits and denials of coverage due to pre-existing conditions, caps out-of-pocket expense, allows young adults to stay on their parents' insurance until 26, mandates that all insurers provide preventive screenings without copays. etc.

And they don't know that the subsidies for the insurances policies available through state exchanges are given to individuals who make up to $45,960 and families of four who make up to 94,200.

The really sad thing about giving our tax dollars to poor black people is that if they (Teabirchers)  knew the real  statistics, that a good deal of the nations tax dollars go to fund Tea Partiers Medicare/Medicaid, unemployment and Welfare benefits and I'm tired of funding them.  I have 2 more vacation days that I as a contractor can use and then there will be nothing.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#74 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 05 October 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yep.

And very good to see you posting again, cade. I always appreciated your substantive posts. :)

I hope you stick around. These are dark days and I find comfort in running into sane people.

:smile2: Thanks, and likewise, I've long appreciated the rationality you provide here. Wish I had your patience and fortitude.

#75 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

^Thanks, cade. But I have neither. :) I'm just stubborn.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users