Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Agents Of SHIELD: Pilot

Agents Of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I dunno... given that absolutely everyone at this point is guessing that Coulson's really an LMD, I suspect that's just what they want us to think. It would be pretty boring if the big surprise reveal turned out to be the exact same thing everyone was predicting from before the show even premiered.

Edited by Christopher, 25 September 2013 - 07:20 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#42 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

IM117_Opening.jpg

LMDs have their uses but they're generally short lived and realy aren't meant to fool anybody for any length of time.And even ifthe series lasts that long it'll be in repeats bythe time the Captain America comes out since the movie comes out in April, so I can't see any storylines on the series paralleling the movie.

The pilot will be repeated on Thursday night at 9PM EST, it's still unlikely that I'll see it until our local theatre shows it. And from what little I saw it appears to be a pretty lightweight series.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#43 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostChristopher, on 25 September 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I dunno... given that absolutely everyone at this point is guessing that Coulson's really an LMD, I suspect that's just what they want us to think. It would be pretty boring if the big surprise reveal turned out to be the exact same thing everyone was predicting from before the show even premiered.

"Aboslutely everyone" being comic book fans and speculation doesn't make it so.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#44 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Here's a trailer for the rest of the season.  http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=48084

And this is a trailer for the next ep.  

Simon's trick cane from the opening of Serenity seems to have made its way back to earth very quickly!  Note that the voice-over advises viewers to stay tuned to "the very end" of every episode.  Looks like the show will be using stingers, like the movies, though I didn't notice if the pilot had one.  (Anyone?)

Edited by BklnScott, 26 September 2013 - 08:35 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#45 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

There was no stinger on the pilot, and it'd be pretty useless to have stingers given the way networks run ads over end credits. So I don't know what that line in the promo meant.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#46 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I think it means basically - cliffhanger.  The end of each episode teasing the next.  Maybe the "087" tag at the end of the pilot will be moved to post-credits for regular episodes?

Edited by BklnScott, 26 September 2013 - 11:20 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#47 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

^ I thought that, but then I thought - who stops watching an episode before the end? Are they saying it's awful right up to the last 5 minutes?! lol.
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#48 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

The next ep. is entitled 0-8-4.

#49 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostenTranced, on 25 September 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

I was in love at "Hey, this is where they MAKE the red tape isn't it?".

Basically I love you if you have Ming-Na on your show and I love you if you have Joss Whedon writing your show. This had both so that is where I am right now*. :wub:

enTranced

Fine if we are doing a letter grade...lets see where is my calculator...

Joss+Plus Super Hot Ming Na + His name is PHIL! = Ummmcarry the sexy Hacker Pixie and Hermonie Ref gives us...uhhhhhh ASUPERDOUBLE ++++!

You and I have something to agree on again!  Yay!  

First and foremost, I really enjoyed this episode.  Was it super special?  No.  It was a pilot.  And it was a good one.  It did what it needed to do.  I'm expecting great things from this series.

Secondly, it's going to be easy to quote this as a Joss Whedon show, which isn't entire off, but he does not serve at the show runner.  His brother Jed Whedon and Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen actually run the show.  Joss serves as Executive Producer and has I'm sure a pretty good amount of input, but the show isn't run by him, which doe make a difference.  It's important to remember that.  Still, I fully expect that the series will find its footing.  To me, it's already mostly there.

Edited by NexusNine, 26 September 2013 - 07:56 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#50 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

^Well, Angel wasn't run directly by Whedon either, was it? And he had a co-runner for Firefly, or some such arrangement.

Facebook Author Page

#51 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Man me and NexusNine defending something....anything together. The world....she is ending. :)

enTranced
Posted Image

#52 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostChristopher, on 26 September 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

^Well, Angel wasn't run directly by Whedon either, was it? And he had a co-runner for Firefly, or some such arrangement.

Joss wasn't directly showrunning the first 4 seasons of Angel, true, but he was indeed overseeing it closely as it was a part of his Buffyverse mythologies.  David Greenwalt mainly ran the first three seasons with Whedon overseeing and contributing scripts, story arcs, and directing duties.  Jeffery Bell took over as showrunner in seasons 4 and 5, but Whedon took a large creative role in season 5 and mapped out most of that season's arc and, to be honest, largely ran that season.  Season 4, where he was also working on Buffy Season 7 and Firefly is about the only season where Whedon wasn't largely involved, which is what prompted him to move some of his strongest writers from Buffy over to Angel, as well as to promote and expand each of their roles.  

Firefly was largely Whedon's.  He brought Tim Minear over from Angel to serve as an Executive Producer and co-showrunner, but it was clear that Whedon was largely the man running that show.  

I guess I should rephrase myself a little.  Angents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is a Joss Whedon show, but it strongly appears that outside of its conception and some contributing story arcs, Joss is leaving the care of this show in the hands of others.  Mainly his brother, sister-in-law, and Jeffery Bell.  Unlike his original works, I doubt he'll be able to contribute as much due to his obligations to The Avengers 2.  

So I rephrase myself a bit.  But I don't think I'm too wrong about Joss's overall involvement with the project.
Posted Image
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  

#53 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with both enTranced and NexusNine. If Chris was also in agreement with the 3 of us, the world probably would have exploded. Thankfully for the rest of the planet, it's only 3 of us that are in agreement at this time. ;)

I thought this was really quite good. It wasn't the most brilliant thing I've ever seen but it was a pilot episode for something that has the potential to become rather brilliant. I loved the cast, especially the two bickering scientists. I loved Jemma's "And now it's actually dripping. Fun!" and she actually thought it was fun! :D She easily has the potential to become my favorite character.

I loved Skye. I didn't find her annoying at all. I'm not sure how she could be disliked so much from where I'm sitting. Sure, she was a little arrogant at first and that isn't a very likable trait. But she had a lot of other good traits that overshadowed that arrogance. Being drop dead gorgeous certainly didn't hurt either. ;)

If you add Agent Coulson and Agent May (gotta love Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen!) to the mix, this is a very cool group of characters. The only character I didn't really warm to was Agent Ward, but I think that was the point. He isn't really supposed to have a personality outside of his work. Hopefully that'll slowly change as the series goes. A character without a personality isn't particularly interesting to watch except when interacting with characters that do have one.

Anyway, this is easily my favorite new show of the season so far. Granted, I haven't really sampled that many yet but this was everything I was hoping it would be.

Edited by NeuralClone, 27 September 2013 - 12:46 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#54 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

I would've been happier if Agent Ward hadn't been such a young pretty boy :(

But, yeah, all in all this was an enjoyable hour to watch; and I hope they manage to keep the lightness to the story and characters instead of descending into "dark & grittiness".  There is just too much of that on TV.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#55 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Um - that's the best thing about him so far...! Let the ladies have some eye-candy, and in return, I will let off Skye for trying too hard to be "lovable".

Sparky

#56 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 27 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Um - that's the best thing about him so far...! Let the ladies have some eye-candy, and in return, I will let off Skye for trying too hard to be "lovable".
That's about all there is to Agent Ward other than being married to his job, I agree. There's certainly nothing wrong with having lots of eye candy on the show. It's hard to criticize Whedon shows for not being fair and balanced in that regard. Both the male and female characters are generally fairly attractive on his shows, and he's often very proud of that.

I don't think Chloe Bennet was trying too hard to be lovable as Skye. Like I said above, she has some unlikable qualities (e.g., she's arrogant and a little too sure of herself) but she also had other qualities that are easier to respect (e.g., she actually does care about what happens to people despite her "I'm going to reveal the truth no matter what!" attitude). I don't usually like the tech geek characters on these shows because they're often so cliched and spout off lots of technical nonsense that doesn't make any real world sense. So far, they've managed to make Skye fairly believable as far as that stuff goes. Well, as believable as a comic book super hacker can be anyway.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for beautiful, energetic, tech geek women of Asian descent and I'm blinded by that. ;)

Edited by NeuralClone, 27 September 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#57 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 27 September 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with both enTranced and NexusNine. If Chris was also in agreement with the 3 of us, the world probably would have exploded. Thankfully for the rest of the planet, it's only 3 of us that are in agreement at this time. ;)

Is it? I didn't think this was the greatest pilot ever, but it's certainly entertaining and has potential to get even better. So I pretty much agree with the rest of you.

I loved Skye. I didn't find her annoying at all. I'm not sure how she could be disliked so much from where I'm sitting. Sure, she was a little arrogant at first and that isn't a very likable trait. But she had a lot of other good traits that overshadowed that arrogance. Being drop dead gorgeous certainly didn't hurt either. ;)

She's growing on me, but when I watched the episode for the second time, it was Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons) that I found the most captivating one to look at. It was just for a moment, one particular shot (maybe when she was tending to Mike after he was felled), but I just looked at her and thought, Wow.

(e.g., she actually does care about what happens to people despite her "I'm going to reveal the truth no matter what!" attitude).

Indeed. What I liked, what spoke well of Skye, was that after the explosion, when she had a chance to run after "the Hooded Hero," she instead let him go and went to make sure the woman he rescued was all right. That shows she has the reflexive compassion to be a hero herself.

What I'm wondering at this point is, how well will the show be able to continue creating the sense that it's part of the Marvel Universe without just constantly namedropping things from the movies to date? I hope it expands the MCU rather than just rehashing elements of it.

Facebook Author Page

#58 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostChristopher, on 27 September 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Is it? I didn't think this was the greatest pilot ever, but it's certainly entertaining and has potential to get even better. So I pretty much agree with the rest of you.
Oh dear. The planet is doomed. :lol:

She's growing on me, but when I watched the episode for the second time, it was Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons) that I found the most captivating one to look at. It was just for a moment, one particular shot (maybe when she was tending to Mike after he was felled), but I just looked at her and thought, Wow.
Oh definitely. She's very pretty as well. And so far, I've found Jemma to be the most fun. I loved that she's a scientist that loves her job and isn't the stereotypical squeamish smart female character. She's smart, confident, and doesn't appear remotely squeamish. It's refreshing to see that sort of thing with a scientist character. I was completely sold on her as soon as she said "Fun!" to the device dripping. It was great how she managed to motivate and calm Fitz down as well. "Pretend it's an exam." She didn't have a tremendous amount to do in this episode but the things she did do really counted. She clearly cares a great deal for Fitz and for the work she does.

Edit: Oh and I loved her line about not being Hermione as well. :lol:

Indeed. What I liked, what spoke well of Skye, was that after the explosion, when she had a chance to run after "the Hooded Hero," she instead let him go and went to make sure the woman he rescued was all right. That shows she has the reflexive compassion to be a hero herself.
Yeah, I really liked that as well.

What I'm wondering at this point is, how well will the show be able to continue creating the sense that it's part of the Marvel Universe without just constantly namedropping things from the movies to date? I hope it expands the MCU rather than just rehashing elements of it.
I think it'll be interesting to see how they manage that as well. It made sense that they'd throw in a lot of references in the pilot to bridge the gap between the movies and the show. There will no doubt be more of that as the show moves forward (I wouldn't expect any less) but expanding the MCU is also a must. I think Whedon and company are aware of that, though.

Regarding G-man's comment earlier about the show's tone, I think it'll probably be a mix of both lighthearted fun and dark and gritty. The very premise of the series lends itself to both types of storytelling and I think the pilot balanced them quite well.

Edit: No "as wells" were harmed in the writing of this post. :headshake:

Edited by NeuralClone, 27 September 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#59 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm sure the show won't be without connection to the MCU.  I even expect that we may get a cameo or guest spot from one of the major players in the MCU.  I certainly would not be surprised if Fury dropped a guest spot on the show.  But equally, I'm willing to bet that other Marvel characters, perhaps lesser publicized ones, will come into play on this show.  That would be a good way to build and maintain this show within the MCU while giving some of Marvel's other characters a chance to shine.  

View PostNeuralClone, on 27 September 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Oh dear. The planet is doomed. :lol:

Doomed I tell you!  Doooooooooommmmmmmed!!!!

Edited by NexusNine, 27 September 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

#60 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

There's certainly nothing wrong with having lots of eye candy on the show.

I guess not - but tbh I usually find it boring, and not something to be proud of (really, Whedon? why?). Character and personality are vastly more important than looks. I don't want a Ken-doll, and that won't be anywhere near enough to keep me watching.

I guess my point before was that although there is plenty of time and potential for Agent "Gramsy?" Ward to grow as a character, for now, he just looks pretty. But more importantly, considering how often there are comments about how "smokin hot" the women on any one show are, I just thought it was odd for G-man to seemingly take issue with one smokin hot guy.

But to clarify - unless he has personality to go with it then I will continue to think he's good looking, but not find him in the least attractive.

For now my favourite character is still Agent Coulson, but that's not too surprising since we already "know" him a bit. With the others I'm happy to hold out for a bit and let them grow as characters before I decide on them. There's definite potential though.

Sparky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users