Windows 8 tips and tricks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ever since Windows 8 came out many of us had mixed reservations and opinions on the new O/S both good and bad.

Since I bought my new Windows 8 laptop and had a lot of time figuring most stuff out, I thought it would be interesting to post some tricks and tips to share.

One of which is email...  I like many have multiple email accounts.  (i.e. 1 for personal, one for work related, etc.) but for the most part had just one email account set up in the email app.  If I needed to use another account, I'd have to go to my web-mail account to check that account's inbox.

I've recently found out how on Windows 8 to add multiple email addresses to it's mail app.  Turned out to be easy.
- While in the email app, open up the Windows 8 Charms menu from the right of the screeen and go into Settings or hit the keyboard shortcut of Windows+I  (
- Select 'Accounts' from the menu
- Select 'Add an acount'
- Add your particulars and voila

Your account name will show on the bottom left of the email screen under the folder tree.

Changing the account name for the bottom left list is just as simple.
- Access the same settings menu as before and go into accounts.
- Click on the account name you want to change and edit the first field in the options.
To delete the account from the list, just scroll to the bottom of the options and select "Remove Account"

In the options, you can also select how much to email to download as well...

Any one else have any other Windows 8 tricks to share?

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

you'll want everyday users of it, and the new 8.1 at that, posting, but til then...
I put my win8 stuff in the post beginning this year, my hints at making your desktop ready for quick access to everything, ole win7 style, in that, but...

let me say two things about the 8.1- one, they brought back Startbutton, but honestly I was What?? hell the new Startpage IS the start button and better, it's a bigger better start page with more functionality; everyone went WAAA only, only because it was different, not the exact same in the exact same spot, but DUH, it's the first thing comes up when you boot up, Sheesh! - and-

two, they still have the wonderful App list screen you see in this PC World piece, http://www.pcworld.c...h-features.html
Everyone, USE Right side, Charms, get 'Apps', for when the thing you want is not frequent enough that you put it on your Taskbar, or on your Startpage, or on your 'desktop' dropdown list, as in my post, you can see all your new style apps, and all your big programs, incl the ones run on your win7 style desktop, right here, and when you Tap and launch it goes right to your desktop for you, so everyone remember that puppy ;)

when i was in that job and using win8-64 on a Intel desktop pc with 6G ram, I connected it to my microsoft account, and my outlook com online email account, and away we go, and- I didn't miss a touch screen, so many people went WAAA it only good with a touch screen, i used mouse and keyboard for it all, used the touch on a tablet (protype leading to surface type Intel tablets) then used mouse keyboard on the pc, interchangably, and never missed a beat; only thing is you must remember where to go for the mouse hot spot pop-up spots, so hey, BFD
;) [ hey I even enjoyed the new Office365 online program suite , you need a microsoft account for that ]

i'm on xp at home now, but that win8 stuff worked and can work for everyone, and I dont hear complaints from like half the users, right? how many are on win8 on a pc now, over ten millions? and we hear like a thousand whingers? so people are getting used to it, and the upgrade 8.1 with the 'improvements' , I do hear the Search is improved, again, yet again, and the real problem is that many improvements are in the way win8 works underneath behind the scenes not some spiffy showy visual things people can point to it and say, OH Snap! hip hot new cyber consumer gizmo exciting, like they all get used to with iPhone and Galaxy stuff, people are so used to Asia consumer pizazz spoonfed crap I swear ;)

KEEP Up with the Jones,
' A key goal of Windows 8.1 is to offer a highly personalized experience. Indeed, one of the many additions to the Start page is the “Personalize” option under Settings. To get there, swipe in from the right, select Settings, and then “Personalize." Once you do so, you’ll have an option to add different backgrounds, with various color schemes. I’m not sure if the Surface I had simply lacked the dynamic ‘Dragon” and “Robot” backgrounds that Jensen Harris, part of the Microsoft Windows User Experience team, demonstrated for reporters Tuesday. But Windows 8.1 either synced over the new backgrounds by copying over my old background options, or the content wasn’t there.

Windows 8.1 also adds the ability to share a background between the desktop and Start page. It's a pleasant feature that offers the impression that your desktop and Start page are simply two sides of the same coin. Adding this capability is harder than it looks, though: I had to manually change the desktop background, then wait for it to show up in the “Personalize” tab in the Start commands. A “sync Desktop and Start backgrounds” option would solve the problem, but it isn’t there (more on that later). ' __ PCWorld
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

I found this interesting.

There's a hidden "God Mode" for Windows 8 and higher but also works with Windows 7 and (mixed results with Vista) that apparently gives you a full arsenal of control panel tools in one spot.

To create it, do the following:

1) Create a new folder anywhere (typically somewhere that could be of frequent use)

2) Rename the folder exactly as you see:  GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

See this article:

https://community.sp...ws-7-vista-more

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users