• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think I read a snippet somewhere that TPTB are going to switch genres on Arrow.  Does anyone know more about this?
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,915 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

"Switch genres" is a very vague term. What do you mean by it?

We do know that the "no superpowers" rule is going to bend somewhat, with the introduction of Barry Allen/The Flash as a recurring character, with plans to spin off a Flash series set in the same universe. But what I've gathered is that Arrow itself may treat the Flash's powers, costume, etc. in a more subdued way and save the more overtly comic-booky stuff for the spinoff. So I don't think they intend to abandon their existing tone, just broaden the universe somewhat.

An analogy might be Batman: The Animated Series. The original series was in a relatively grounded, naturalistic world -- there was a fair amount of weird science, like Man-Bat and Clayface and HARDAC and devices that altered the flow of time, but no alien invasions, no magic (except in "Avatar"), and no crossovers with other superheroes (unless you count Zatanna, who was portrayed as purely a stage magician). But then Superman: TAS came along and Batman was revived alongside it, and since Superman was an alien dealing with other aliens and sorcerors and crossing over with other DC characters, The New Batman Adventures followed suit and had Batman teaming up with Etrigan the Demon, the Creeper, and the like. And of course once Justice League came along, all bets were off.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think it was that they were switching from action-adventure to dramatic.  I wish I'd paid more attention.

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,915 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well, it's always been a mix of both, and I don't see why they'd drop one. The clip that was released yesterday was certainly action-oriented.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

True....why they would want to do any changes I don't know....unless they're necessary.

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

This...doesn't make much sense to me. Why would they turn a successful formula into something it clearly isn't? The show wasn't doing poorly ratings-wise last season and had fairly favorable reviews. The CW's sometimes retools their shows but they generally leave their successful shows alone. Arrow was action/adventure and drama last season. I don't expect them to change that for season 2.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,915 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I've been following several SF-media and comics-related sites regularly, and I haven't seen a word about any major format change. Naturally there are going to be adjustments in the storyline, new subplots developed, an attempt to deepen or expand on what they did in season 1, but that's not "switch[ing] genres," it's just the natural process of a show's maturation.

Facebook Author Page

#8 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

That's what confused me....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users