Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Agents of SHIELD S1E02: "0-8-4"

Agents Of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostenTranced, on 07 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Regarding Voyager:

1) I am with G-Man on the shuttles, I hated, hated right from the start how Voyager just picked up from TNG and DS9 on shuttle respawning. The whole point of the show was a starship cut off. Completely cut off from resupply. Yes they occasionally gave nods and winks to that premise but the premise demanded so much more, in fact the premise demanded Farscape and Firefly. I wanted the Delta Flyer every week. I wanted shuttle pieces all over the shuttle bay every week as they desperately tried to keep one shuttle up and running. I wanted WAAAY more then one episode where they land to make repairs. I don't need a whole actof landing just open with the ship already landed. Gaaah.

2) I hated the way the Caretakers and Ocampa were swept away like so much else that was created for the show (hey remember that whole half Marquis crew thingy?).

3) Kazon and Water. Ugh.

4) As a Star Trek fan I don't think I will ever fully recover from Voyager.

enTranced

The Kazon had water just because one tribe didn't have alot of water doesn't mean the rest of the various were short of water. The Caretaker and the other Ocompa did resuface in later seasons and there was never enough Maquis for them be half the crew over the year we only saw about 11 Maquis and two of them were spies, that's a huge crew for such a small ship in the first place.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#42 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,504 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

^^  I'm pretty sure the Kazon had no water. It doesn't matter if it was one tribe or not. The recipe is not that difficult.  :lol:

View PostChristopher, on 06 October 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Agent Carter is a short film on the Iron Man 3 Blu-Ray, IIRC.  
Ah, okay.  It will be a while before I see that, if ever.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#43 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 07 October 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

^^  I'm pretty sure the Kazon had no water. It doesn't matter if it was one tribe or not. The recipe is not that difficult.  :lol:

The Kazon sects were at war with each other they wouldn't share something like water and yes as you can see from eps. after The Caretaker if you remember the otehr sects did have water. And if you remember even the Borg refused to assimulate the Kazon as race there were too stupid. And if you remember they were former slaves who stole anything they had, hardly an old space faring race.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#44 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Regarding Voyager:

1) I am with G-Man on the shuttles, I hated, hated right from the start how Voyager just picked up from TNG and DS9 on shuttle respawning. The whole point of the show was a starship cut off. Completely cut off from resupply. Yes they occasionally gave nods and winks to that premise but the premise demanded so much more, in fact the premise demanded Farscape and Firefly. I wanted the Delta Flyer every week. I wanted shuttle pieces all over the shuttle bay every week as they desperately tried to keep one shuttle up and running. I wanted WAAAY more then one episode where they land to make repairs. I don't need a whole actof landing just open with the ship already landed. Gaaah.

That's why I actually liked the Year of Hell 2-parter. We got to see what Voyager should have been like after so many years alone...beat down and barely fuctioning. We got another taste of that in Equinox, another favorite of mine. Their story is what Voyager should have been, frankly, IMNSHO.

enTranced

I feel your pain, brother. :)

Edited by The Tyrant, 08 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#45 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostDWF, on 07 October 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Regarding Voyager:

2) I hated the way the Caretakers and Ocampa were swept away like so much else that was created for the show (hey remember that whole half Marquis crew thingy?).

3) Kazon and Water. Ugh.

enTranced

The Kazon had water just because one tribe didn't have alot of water doesn't mean the rest of the various were short of water. The Caretaker and the other Ocompa did resuface in later seasons and there was never enough Maquis for them be half the crew over the year we only saw about 11 Maquis and two of them were spies, that's a huge crew for such a small ship in the first place.

Once.

The Caretaker mate and the Ocampa came back. ONCE. And then they were swept away for Braga's 4 Year Borg Madness Tour. And Warp Ten lizards. Also, them.

The fact that a little cruiser survived a foe that decimated Starfleet's best and brightest, and did so nearly every week sort of proves my point.

Voyager. *sigh* I still say Caretaker is one hell of a pilot though.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 08 October 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Posted Image

#46 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

^ They were always banging on about the Caretaker in the early days. And the ocampa - well they had a constant reminder of that with Kes, she was there for ages.

Anyway, I liked Voyager, so THERE :p
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#47 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Regarding the Maquis crew compliment, they kept getting killed off in season 2...  Kurt Bendera, Michael Jonas, Lon Suder, Hogan. (The latter two in the season 3 premiere, but it was produced in season 2, so I count it as that.)  I think that was the writers way of saying, "We're done with that aspect of the premise".

I have a list of EVERY Maquis crewman on the ship, either appearance or mentioned in dialogue, but from the top of my head... the 4 I mentioned already, Chakotay, B'Elanna Torres, Ayala, Kenneth Dalby, Chell, Henley, two Bajorans (the one from "LEARNING CURVE" and the one from "NOTHING HUMAN"), and Seska.  That's 13 there, and I know for a fact there were others.  And in the 7th season episode "REPRESSION", we saw the mess hall full of former Maquis, maybe 20 or 25 people.

I can see a Maquis ship having about 30 or so people on board.  We only saw the small ships in DS9's "THE MAQUIS,  PART II" (and TNG's "Preemptive Strike", but they still were not fully organized at that time, but they were getting there), and they likely got access to bigger ones between that time and "CARETAKER", which in STAR TREK timeline is about 6 months, since VOYAGER starts on about 1/3 into the new year, and "THE MAQUIS" two parter was in the back 1/3 of that year.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 09 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#48 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 09 October 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Regarding the Maquis crew compliment, they kept getting killed off in season 2...  Kurt Bendera, Michael Jonas, Lon Suder, Hogan. (The latter two in the season 3 premiere, but it was produced in season 2, so I count it as that.)  I think that was the writers way of saying, "We're done with that aspect of the premise".

I have a list of EVERY Maquis crewman on the ship, either appearance or mentioned in dialogue, but from the top of my head... the 4 I mentioned already, Chakotay, B'Elanna Torres, Ayala, Kenneth Dalby, Chell, Henley, two Bajorans (the one from "LEARNING CURVE" and the one from "NOTHING HUMAN"), and Seska.  That's 13 there, and I know for a fact there were others.  And in the 7th season episode "REPRESSION", we saw the mess hall full of former Maquis, maybe 20 or 25 people.

Don't forget Tuvok and both Tuvok and Seska were spies so they weren't even real Maquis.

#49 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

I didn't count them because they were spies and not really Maquis.

#50 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

It was the network, not Braga, who insisted on dropping the recurring threads. Braga wrote a number of episodes that felt like the show's attempt to do what they wanted the series to be about on an ongoing basis but were forced to pack into a single hour because of the network's strictures on continuity. "Year of Hell" is a prime example.

And I believe Braga was only the showrunner for seasons 5 and 6. Jeri Taylor ran the show through season 4 (though Braga was more or less co-showrunner by the end of the season), and Ken Biller ran season 7 while Berman & Braga were busy creating Enterprise.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users