24 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Spoilers

Diggle and Felicity travel to Lian Yu to try and find Oliile who's left  town following the Undertaking.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

This actually isn't airing until October 9th. :)
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Whew!  I thought I'd missed it!
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

This week was Arrow: Year One, a recap special summarizing the first season (narrated by John Barrowman). It was actually pretty well-done.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah along with the Tomorrow People thread I'm a week ahead. :tired:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

It's better than being a week behind! :)

#7 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostChristopher, on 02 October 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

This week was Arrow: Year One, a recap special summarizing the first season (narrated by John Barrowman). It was actually pretty well-done.
Oh shoot!  Is there anyway it can be seen online....I hope?

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

The special is online at The CW's Arrow page:

http://www.cwtv.com/...5c-120b6abd7ded
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Um......HOLY sh*t?????????????

THAT WAS AMAZING.  I came into this season with sky high expectations and they got blown out of the water.
Posted Image

#10 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

It will be interesting to see how Oliver will "try another way".  Oh, and thanks, Christopher.

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

WEll it was amazing how quickly Starling City was rebuilt and I liked it that Felicity got Ollie a compound bow, but the islandf flashbacks are still in Kung Fu style. But Laurel and Felicity and Summer Glau all looked great in the ep. and I loved how Ollie saved Felicity during the attack. And it was great seeing Walter again, I hope we see more of him.

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Starling City wasn't rebuilt at all. That was the whole reason the Glades is having even more problems than usual.

#13 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Loved it.  I also loved how Ollie saved Felicity.  I'm glad they seem to be moving away from the list, the "Hood" name, etc.  Very, very pleased.
Cats will never be extinct!

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 10 October 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Starling City wasn't rebuilt at all. That was the whole reason the Glades is having even more problems than usual.

Well there were plenty of shots of the city and it looked just fine to me anyway.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostDWF, on 10 October 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Well there were plenty of shots of the city and it looked just fine to me anyway.
They had multiple shots of the Glades and it was leveled. The episode went out of its way to show and state that the Glades was most definitely not "just fine." Quite the opposite, really. :)

The_Glades.jpg

#16 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well I can't quite imagine an earthquake not even a man made one being so selective. :shrug:

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

The whole point of the earthquake device was that it was capable of targeting a specific location. It was selective because that's where Malcolm set it off. It's a comic book story. The scientific details don't really matter much.

Edited by NeuralClone, 10 October 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

I liked how most of the characters were turned around in their point of views on things, mainly on the Hood (or "Arrow" now I imagine).

When I heard Oliver had left town for a while, at first I though his sister would be pissed, and his mother upset (for Thea's sake if not her own), but I am glad how they handled it. How long did they say he was gone again?

I don't usually comment on hair, but I love Thea's new hair.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

We also got to see Arrow's version of the Black Canary and she seemed pretty awesome.

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

A very strong opening to the season. The change of direction is more abrupt than I expected, but the way they used Tommy's death and the cataclysm of the Undertaking to catalyze the changes makes it work, and I'm glad that Ollie's now stepping away from vigilantism to a more heroic role.

Not too impressed with Summer Glau yet. She's very good at certain character types, but I'm not sure Rochev is one of them.

View PostThemis, on 10 October 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I also loved how Ollie saved Felicity.

I didn't, because it made no sense. So a land mine's only dangerous if you're standing atop it when it blows? Nonsense. The primary source of lethality from an explosion is the blast wave that propagates outward through the air; the secondary one is shrapnel. They were only slightly farther away from the mine when it blew than Felicity would've been if she'd simply jumped off, so far from saving Felicity, Oliver would've just sacrificed himself for no reason.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users