• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

You guys have really done it!

To thwart the dastardly commie plot of Obamacare--which the ever-sneaky Obama somehow got the Congress to enact into law in 2010 and the Supreme Court to uphold in 2012--the, um, zealous representatives you voted into office have refused to approve a continuing resolution to keep the government funded--temporarily--because the POTUS and Senate "refused to negotiate" with them by agreeing to delay  or defund the PPACA (Obamacare). Well done!

For your next trick, your representatives will probably remain stuck on stupid while the deadline passes for raising our nation's debt ceiling. That will be even MORE exciting! You'll get to see the country you "love" go down in flames rather than give in to the Kenyan-Marxist-commie-in-chief.

Meanwhile, ACA has proceded to open. Be sure to hide your granny and your ammo. And whatever you do: if you don't have health insurance, don't get it! Health insurance is un-American.

Hang tough, buddies. Keep listening to Rush, Doocy, Palin, Beck, Alex Jones and company and keep the faith.

And I sure hope that everyone has learned from this: the way to govern in a democratic republic is to shut it down if laws you don't like are enacted. No more of this silly "how a bill becomes a law" nineth-grade civics stuff. Got it.

So I'm sure you won't mind if the next Congress, which will likely be cleansed of Tea Party types, returns the favor and refuses to pass a CR if, oh, the wealthy don't have to pay more taxes or something.

Now THIS is how to run a country (into the dirt).
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

It's okay though. Help is on the way.

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

^ :D

Hilarious. And sad.

We are truly a nation of nincompoops.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I loved that Onion piece (saw it yesterday I think).

And I give equal congratulations to the non Tea Party Republicans who enabled this to happen.  They are just as guilty.
Posted Image

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Boehner's fishing for some Tea Party love. Swears we're gonna default soon because he ain't budging.

http://www.huffingto..._n_4053537.html

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said on Sunday that the country was on a path toward default if President Barack Obama continues to refuse to negotiate over raising the debt limit.
Appearing on ABC's "This Week," host George Stephanopoulos asked Boehner, "If [Obama] continues to refuse to negotiate, the country is going to default"?
"That's the path we're on," Boehner replied. "I'm willing to sit down with the president, but his refusal to negotiate is putting our country at risk."

And that's utter b*llsh*t, of course, since the CR itself is a product of negotiations. The GOP idea of "negotiation" is nullification, as in effectively overturning the 2012 presidential election and enacting their wackadoodle agenda.

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Some people are stupid, others are ignorant.  Then there's the truly BAD PEOPLE like Antonin Scalia and John Boehner.
Posted Image

#7 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

To thwart the dastardly commie plot of Obamacare--which the ever-sneaky Obama somehow got the Congress to enact into law in 2010 and the Supreme Court to uphold in 2012...blah blah blah
Specs a "High Priestess of the Religious Left", would recognize her party's reliance on hyperbole and character assassination for the political theater it is. The fact that their smear machine consistently triggers babbling rage against the conservative infidel, reveals you to be just another radical worshiper in the pews seeking salvation. You haven't a clue what's actually going on in this country, and have no interest in learning. Your post is a goofy medley of incoherence, ignorance, and strawmen right out of the MSNBC "everyone-but-us-is-evil" handbook. It simply could NOT have been written by anyone with even a passing knowledge of the effect Obamacare has already had on business, or the shadowy way it's been altered since it's passage to accommodate privileged cronies. And yet, here it is...served up with an extra helping of sarcasm just so everyone knows it would be folly to disagree with your blustering outrage. The REAL High Priests would be quite pleased...and amused.

Yeah...I know this would usually be the part where you ask some grandstanding question requiring an essay in response. But don't bother. Since your return to this forum I've mowed down a small handful of your DNC approved assertions, with irrefutable facts, links, and common sense.(guns and Bush tax cuts come to mind) So I know full well doing so here will result in either a change of subject, dubious reading comprehension, or the "Mystery Hour" with Dev F. :rolleyes: Obligatory insults and the usual Cait pile-on, will hopefully be a sufficient response to this post. This thread doesn't rate another appearance.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#8 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

POPULAR

^ It's really odd how you never tell us  your view, just say that someone else's view is stupid. If people try to infer your view from that they get shot down for making "assumptions", but never corrected as to what you actually think about a subject. You manage to dance all the way around a subject without touching it. Since you are apparently the one intelligent person who is surrounded by morons, why don't you enlighten us as to the truth according to scherzo and tell us what you actually think? What do YOU think of the Tea Party? What do YOU think is to blame for the government shutdown, how could it be resolved, how could it be prevented from happening again? Why do you not like Obamacare/ why is it the big scary to you? Or do you simply believe that a Republican president, house and senate for the rest of time will fix all problems for you?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Sparky: It's really odd how you never tell us  your view, just say that someone else's view is stupid.

Yep. Still wondering what he thought of targeted strikes on Syria--other than he was agin' it because Obama and the Religious Left were for it.

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Scherzo: It simply could NOT have been written by anyone with even a passing knowledge of the effect Obamacare has already had on business, or the shadowy way it's been altered since it's passage to accommodate privileged cronies.

I have a passing knowledge of how the right-wing has asserted both things.

Here: http://www.factcheck...amacare-claims/

You won't read it because it's not a Cruz-approved source on your apparent reading list, but there you go.

What you believe? It's all ideological b*llsh*t--as has been demonstrated time and time again. In fact, it's demonstrated every time you write one of your witty-in-a-wingnut-way "takedowns," which inevitably rely on strained satire and "facts" from right-wing propaganda.

But I do hope you stick around. I missed you when you slunk off after I handed your ass to you the last time. :)

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

"Obligatory insults" -- and, dude, when 90% of anything you type is an overblown effort at insulting anyone who disagrees with you, you look awfully damned silly on that high horse.

Seriously, anyone as thin-skinned as you apparently are should lay off sarcastic attacks.

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Back to the topic....Have you all seen these posts on FB and elsewhere expressing OUTRAGE that this is closed and that is closed? Of course, "this and that" are the evil government, so to properly vent spleen at the inconveniences and serious costs of the shutdown, the Tea Partiers blame, guess who? OBAMA DID IT!

Yes, Obama is sitting in the White House personally ordering closed the parts of government that Tea Partiers evidently didn't know existed when they railed against it and cheered on Ted Cruz and assorted other nutcases.

It must be this way because if Obama DIDN'T do this, they'd have to deal with the notion that perhaps shutting down the government over Obamacare was not such a great idea after all.

Edited by Spectacles, 07 October 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#13 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 07 October 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

Sparky: It's really odd how you never tell us  your view, just say that someone else's view is stupid.

Yep. Still wondering what he thought of targeted strikes on Syria--other than he was agin' it because Obama and the Religious Left were for it.

And, I'm still waiting for his opinions on all the legislation re: women and abortion in the several states.  Good thing we're not all holding our breath.  :p

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#14 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postscherzo, on 06 October 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

To thwart the dastardly commie plot of Obamacare--which the ever-sneaky Obama somehow got the Congress to enact into law in 2010 and the Supreme Court to uphold in 2012...blah blah blah
Specs a "High Priestess of the Religious Left", would recognize her party's reliance on hyperbole and character assassination for the political theater it is. The fact that their smear machine consistently triggers babbling rage against the conservative infidel, reveals you to be just another radical worshiper in the pews seeking salvation. You haven't a clue what's actually going on in this country, and have no interest in learning. Your post is a goofy medley of incoherence, ignorance, and strawmen right out of the MSNBC "everyone-but-us-is-evil" handbook. It simply could NOT have been written by anyone with even a passing knowledge of the effect Obamacare has already had on business, or the shadowy way it's been altered since it's passage to accommodate privileged cronies. And yet, here it is...served up with an extra helping of sarcasm just so everyone knows it would be folly to disagree with your blustering outrage. The REAL High Priests would be quite pleased...and amused.

Yeah...I know this would usually be the part where you ask some grandstanding question requiring an essay in response. But don't bother. Since your return to this forum I've mowed down a small handful of your DNC approved assertions, with irrefutable facts, links, and common sense.(guns and Bush tax cuts come to mind) So I know full well doing so here will result in either a change of subject, dubious reading comprehension, or the "Mystery Hour" with Dev F. :rolleyes: Obligatory insults and the usual Cait pile-on, will hopefully be a sufficient response to this post. This thread doesn't rate another appearance.

I actually got as far as "infidel" before I was laughing too hard to continue.   :howling:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Tea party Republicans blame Obama for the shutdown they planned http://www.latimes.c...0,2739790.story

... As detailed in a Sunday New York Times story, a well-financed cohort of conservative activists have been planning for months to use a government shutdown as a cudgel to cripple the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Among those behind the effort are, predictably, the Koch brothers, the right-wing billionaire industrialists who, the newspaper reports, gave out $200 million last year to anti-Obamacare groups. Another key leader is a figure from the dark past, Richard Nixon’s former attorney general, Edwin Meese III.

Also pushing the Obamacare battle is Michael A. Needham, who runs the political arm of the conservative Heritage Foundation. Unlike Bachmann and her buddies, Needham did not play coy when asked about what is going on, telling the New York Times, “We felt very strongly from the start that this was a fight that we were going to pick.”
And it’s the fight they got. Republicans should stop feigning innocence and be brave enough to own it.

Speaking of guns and Bush tax cuts, if I ever find out who put my name on the NRA's list of prospective members, I will be happy to explain the difference between a funny joke and a lame one.  OTOH the letter they sent that was meant to lure me is so inadvertently hilarious that it was almost worth the blood pressure geyser I experienced while reading it.  I should scan it with my remarks and post it somewhere.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Nonny: I actually got as far as "infidel" before I was laughing too hard to continue.   :howling:

You made it farther than I did.

Specs a "High Priestess of the Religious Left", would recognize her party's reliance on hyperbole and character assassination for the political theater it is.

The first part made me think that irony is dead. The rest reassured me.

#17 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

There really have been some good articles/editorials on this current CR/debt ceiling crisis.  

http://nymag.com/dai...ive-bubble.html

If you reside within the conservative news bubble, you probably had no idea before this crisis what the Democratic position on the debt ceiling and the shutdown is. You still probably have no idea now. On Fox News Sunday,George Will purported to locate an “absurdity” in Obama’s refusal to negotiate the debt ceiling. Obama, he told listeners, was arguing, “Default would be catastrophic — world-wide depression, political chaos, locusts, plagues, et cetera. But attach to the debt-ceiling construction of the Keystone pipeline, it’s better to have locusts, plagues, crisis, and war.”

That would be a crazy thing to believe, wouldn’t it? But of course Obama’s administration has a ready and oft-proffered explanation. They see the debt-ceiling fight as being mainly about the long-term question of whether Congress will cement into place the practice of using the debt ceiling to extort concessions from the president. The price of buying off a debt-ceiling hike would surely be less than the risk of a default. But doing so would enshrine debt-ceiling extortion as a normal congressional practice. This both skews the Constitutional relationship between branches — allowing an unscrupulous Congress to demand unilateral concessions at gunpoint rather than having to compromise — and creates endless brinksmanship that would eventually lead to a default.

The administration’s stance, then, is that submitting to ransom now creates the certainty of default eventually. Will is correct that paying a ransom would reduce the probability of a short-term default, but it would increase the probability of a long-term default.

I’d be interested in hearing a conservative rebuttal to this analysis, which I share. Maybe there’s an argument that it would be Constitutionally desirable to give Congress the ability to leverage unreciprocated concessions from the president by threatening global havoc, and that we can be confident that such negotiations could be undertaken regularly without any risk of failure. Unfortunately, I have not seen any argument rebutting Obama’s view, because rebutting it requires acknowledging it.

Source:

#18 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

more on the debt ceiling here... http://www.businessi...o-break-2013-10

If the Treasury is unwilling to stretch the definition of extraordinary measures, on the day that the Federal Reserve predicts that the Treasury will run out of cash in its account and the Treasury is bound by the debt ceiling, it suspends all payments and awaits instructions from the Treasury. As a result, the government’s principal economic officials will face the prospect of violating one of these three laws:
1. The Second Liberty Bond Act of 1917 that establishes the debt ceiling;
2. The Federal Reserve Act that prohibits the Fed from lending directly to the Treasury; or,
3. The 14th Amendment of the Constitution that holds that the debt of the United States government, lawfully issued, will not be questioned.
They have to break a law. At the end of the day, officials will avoid violating the Constitution by indicating that they have been given inconsistent instructions and are obeying the one with the most important precedent.
Basically in Reinhart's formulation, Lew will opt to break the debt ceiling law, citing constitutional obligations to continue servicing the debt.
And then of course we enter into level never-neverland with respect to the budget.

Source:

#19 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

And this is the problem that they haven't figured out. If a party, any party, manages to use blackmail (and that's what this is), it means that it can be done again. Once a precedent has been set, it will happen again, and by either party.

This is what happens when people with way, way, way less maturity than a child, are put into power.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

I made it as far as High Priestess and then had to stop because I am OUTRAGED I tell you, simply OUTRAGED that I did NOT receive an invitation to Spectacles' admission to such an august position.  Honestly, what is this world COMING TO?

Edited by Bad Wolf, 08 October 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users