#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Spoilers

544470_491404087542835_1660442726_n.jpg

To save a kidnapped scientist the team turns to Skye.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Oh dear, no muscle memory!  :(

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Indeed.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hmmmm....
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,694 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

This one was kind ... meh.

I liked that they at least broached the subject of just what it is that SHIELD is doing and that the scientist had his own solution to the matter.

Did like that "Cavalry" decided that just sitting back at the bus and watching Coulson go into the field was even more distasteful and stressful than her going in herself.

Also liked that it was Skye's going off script that allowed the op to proceed.

That said, the development of Skye and Action-Guy was ... weak.  Yeah, they're talking, but there really wasn't much tension there, so there wasn't a debate.  Skye is wandering aimlessly, and SHIELD is providing direction just about sums it up -- thereby undercutting (for me) the question behind SHIELD's motives and methods.

That apparently the scientist could instruct a both Fitz and Simmons seems a stretch to me given how divergent their fields are.  This just struck me as too much of the cliche' of a scientist is one who is expert in science; and effectively ignores just how specialized that field can get.  Plus it raises a number of other issues with me.

Finally, the villain just struck me as being something of a straw man.  Yeah, he is temptation personified, but given how easily he was ousted from his stronghold, and that Skye apparently was not genuinely tempted - spouting SHIELD's rationale, it is kind of a disappointment.

I dunno, I guess I was simply expecting more from the show than this.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I thought it was another great episode.  Very James Bondish this week.  I liked the continuing development of Ward and Sky and how they learn from each other, and I liked how the Cavalry decided she'd rather be back on the line than let Coulson get killed again (was he really having a hard time with that gun?), which I thought would take longer, but I wish they would focus some attention on Fitz and Simmons before too long.  Everybody should get a spotlight episode right off the bat so that the audience can know them and bond with them.

Frank Hall was certainly nothing like the Graviton that I remember from the 70s, but he might be when gets out of the goo. He was another character with his own agenda and approach who was out to do the right thing.  Even the bad guy wasn't that different from Sky in essence-- he was just a victim of his own selfishness.  I've found the motivations of the antagonists so far to be very old school Marvel-- we can understand and sympathize with what they're doing.  I hope they don't lose that.

Coulson seemed a bit more serious this week.  Hopefully they won't pull back on his "nothing but blue skies ahead" attitude.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

A decent episode. I like that Ward and Skye have bonded more and that Skye has continued to train to be a field op. I wonder if we will see either of Ward's brothers on the show, since it was his older brother's abuse and having to protect his younger brother that helped make him into the agent that he is.

So Skye seems somewhat dedicated to SHIELD, even though she still seems to working for Rising Tide. I thought her plan on how to get that guy's trust was really smart. I loved that she got the gun from him, but then admitted that she wouldn't shoot it and ran. A good moment.

Why didn't Coulson want that device thrown into the sun? Did he think it would be too dangerous? Better to destroy it than keep it around, especially since that scientist is still alive (or something). Interesting that Coulson has no muscle memory. So maybe he is a LMD, or whatever they did to bring him back alive screwed something up, like how when Buffy was brought back in season 6 she came back a little wrong.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 09 October 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

So Skye seems somewhat dedicated to SHIELD, even though she still seems to working for Rising Tide. I thought her plan on how to get that guy's trust was really smart. I loved that she got the gun from him, but then admitted that she wouldn't shoot it and ran. A good moment.

Or dedicated to staying close to shield. But at the very least, she is getting conflicted, as demonstrated by some of her training moments with Ward.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Each episode has been better than the previous one and that's a good sign.  I liked this.  I'm not the Marvel expert some are.  Is there a new villain named something like Gravitron or something being created?  

More hints that Coulson isn't Coulson what with the no muscle memory on the gun handling.

Skye is continuing to...not quite, GROW on me, but...let's just say, be less annoying. ;)
Posted Image

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on 09 October 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I'm not the Marvel expert some are.  Is there a new villain named something like Gravitron or something being created?  
Dr. Franklin Hall, the doctor that fell into the gravitonium reactor, becomes a villain known as Graviton. In the Avengers comic, Dr. Hall makes a mistake in his calculations and graviton particles end up fusing with his own during the resulting explosion. He discovers that he's able to mentally control gravitons and, therefore, gravity itself. Gravitons are hypothetical elementary particles in quantum physics and are part of the theories about gravitation. Note that it's graviton not gravitron. :)

He looks rather ridiculous in the comic, IMO. So I suspect they'll be doing their own take on his appearance in addition to his origin story, which this episode told.

Posted Image

Edited by NeuralClone, 10 October 2013 - 12:20 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

Heh.   I THOUGHT I remembered something like that.
Posted Image

#12 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hey thanks for the info NC! That sure felt like a origan story for me but I am not a expert on Marvel being more of a DC man at least until recently. *sigh*

Anyway as for the show itself I am smitten. I just love the heck out of this show so far. I to picked up on the muscle memory stuff. Yeah, whoever this is it is not our Coulson, or at least not the same one who died. And I love the wicked way the show is playing it all out. Very nice.

enTranced
Posted Image

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Skye's feeble punches to the bag wouldn't floor a kitten.  Talk about needing to develop muscle memory!

Of the various theories about just what Coulson 2.0 is, which would lack muscle memory?  Although I liked the joke of Coulson's wardroble consisting of nothing but suits, he did look pretty ridiculous conducting an amphibious landing and infiltration in jacket and tie.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostCardie, on 10 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Skye's feeble punches to the bag wouldn't floor a kitten.  Talk about needing to develop muscle memory!

Of the various theories about just what Coulson 2.0 is, which would lack muscle memory?  Although I liked the joke of Coulson's wardroble consisting of nothing but suits, he did look pretty ridiculous conducting an amphibious landing and infiltration in jacket and tie.

I'm thinking clone at this point. I don't know enough about the Marvel 'verse and it's Life Model Decoy stuff to know if they are clones but that is where I am right now. A clone would not have muscle memory because it may not have had the same training that Coulson Prime did.

And I loved Skye's feeble punches. I like that she is not becoming super-spy overnight, I also think it is just her nature to downplay her skills which makes her able to surprise her attackers. Sort of a mini-Black Widow and the way she played Loki.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 10 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostCardie, on 10 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Skye's feeble punches to the bag wouldn't floor a kitten.  Talk about needing to develop muscle memory
Heh, My reaction to her saying 'I want this. Bad!' was along the lines of 'well then try actually punching the damn bag woman'

Having said that, she gets my favorite in ep moment three episodes running (the 'Nope', and legging it when asked if she could fire the gun, it's the grin that sells it)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#16 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

It takes time to build muscle and combat skills. Seeing as she just started training, her current performance is to be expected. Plus, she wasn't really training too seriously before.

I do hope they show her doing more practical fighting than boxing. Clearly Ward didn't just study boxing. Boxing is very Hollywood when it comes to training. What's next? A bicep curl training montage? :p Ward should be teaching her body weight exercises. No need for a gym and perfect for the type of work she'd possibly be doing.

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hmm. I didn't even think of the muscle memory thing being connected to Coulson's status.  A clone would make sense, but they better have downloaded the real Coulson.

View PostNeuralClone, on 10 October 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

He looks rather ridiculous in the comic,
Well, he looks ridiculous in that picture.  It looks like it came from the Image Era. :lol:  He looked fine by Sal Buscema and Joe Staton.  :cool:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Joe Staton made everyone look like monkeys.  :)

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Dunno, he looks pretty ridiculous in most of the pics I've found. He looks slightly less absurd in this pic:
Posted Image

It's still a rather silly outfit, though. ;) It's certainly one of the better looks he's had over the years. If you can find a less silly pic of the character I'd definitely be interested.

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 October 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Kirby classic design with vintage 80s shoulder pads.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users