Agents Of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

They go on about Ward having no 'people skills' but I haven't seen any evidence for that - ? I'd say Fitz could lack "people skills" but Ward seems pretty good at them - at least he has dealt well with Skye. I wish they would bring back his dry sense of humour though, he's a bit earnest for my tastes.

Still ambivalent about Skye - there are definitely times I find her irritating, but she can also be funny.

The episodes all seem on a par for me - entertaining, light and funny - I'll keep watching but it could do with something to draw me in a bit more. I like Coulson a lot, but haven't fallen in love with any of the characters exactly.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

The reason Coulson didn't want the gravitonium fired into the Sun via the slingshot is that he was respecting Hall's wish that the knowledge of this element's existence be suppressed. If SHIELD as a whole knew that a sample of the element had been found, they'd know there was more to find and they'd go looking.

View PostenTranced, on 10 October 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I'm thinking clone at this point. I don't know enough about the Marvel 'verse and it's Life Model Decoy stuff to know if they are clones but that is where I am right now.

LMDs are teleoperated androids. They superficially look like humans but have clearly robotic innards. Some really advanced LMDs can pass for human internally, but a person being an LMD and not knowing it is unlikely.Which is the biggest flaw in the "Coulson is an LMD" theory everyone has. Also there's the fact that everyone is assuming that -- I'm hoping the producers are clever enough to come up with a less obvious explanation.

Edited by Christopher, 11 October 2013 - 09:56 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#23 Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob
  • Islander
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Oh boy..... another series where the super duper oh so cool mighty yank characters are leading the way while the nerdy foreigners are there for tech support and groan worthy dialogue.

Getting very bored with this series.

Very disappointing.

1/10

#24 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostUncle Bob, on 11 October 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Oh boy..... another series where the super duper oh so cool mighty yank characters are leading the way while the nerdy foreigners are there for tech support and groan worthy dialogue.

Getting very bored with this series.

Very disappointing.

1/10
I know right? How dare an American TV series feature American characters that happen to be cool and intelligent as well as non-American characters that also get to be cool and intelligent. This has to be one of the most bizarre criticisms I've seen of this show yet. Simmons and Fitz have played a vital role in every episode so far and you'd have to not be paying attention to the show at all to not pick up on that critical little detail.

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 October 2013 - 11:34 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#25 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostenTranced, on 10 October 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostCardie, on 10 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Skye's feeble punches to the bag wouldn't floor a kitten.  Talk about needing to develop muscle memory!

Of the various theories about just what Coulson 2.0 is, which would lack muscle memory?  Although I liked the joke of Coulson's wardroble consisting of nothing but suits, he did look pretty ridiculous conducting an amphibious landing and infiltration in jacket and tie.

I'm thinking clone at this point. I don't know enough about the Marvel 'verse and it's Life Model Decoy stuff to know if they are clones but that is where I am right now. A clone would not have muscle memory because it may not have had the same training that Coulson Prime did.

enTranced

LMDs are robots and this might help to understand them, it's their first appearance.

ST135_LMDs.jpg
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#26 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 11 October 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Dunno, he looks pretty ridiculous in most of the pics I've found. He looks slightly less absurd in this pic:
Posted Image

It's still a rather silly outfit, though. ;) It's certainly one of the better looks he's had over the years. If you can find a less silly pic of the character I'd definitely be interested.

I perfer he's original look and it was inked by Palbo Marcos not Joe Rosen.

A158_Graviton.jpg
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#27 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

^ I think that looks rather odd, like a ...oh, what are those belts called that are supposed to hold fat in? Language fail...

Anyway I prefer the 80s shoulder pads to that!

Thanks to all of you for the insider comic knowledge though :cool: it adds a lot.

Sparky

#28 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 12 October 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

^ I think that looks rather odd, like a ...oh, what are those belts called that are supposed to hold fat in? Language fail...

Sparky

Frank Hall wasn't overweight in the old days, but the belt is rather slimming. Still his '90s look was copied by a number of villains in that time period.

#29 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 11 October 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

I know right? How dare an American TV series feature American characters that happen to be cool and intelligent as well as non-American characters that also get to be cool and intelligent. This has to be one of the most bizarre criticisms I've seen of this show yet. Simmons and Fitz have played a vital role in every episode so far and you'd have to not be paying attention to the show at all to not pick up on that critical little detail.

It may be selfish on my part but I love it when I can just say:

"What he said"

enTranced
Posted Image

#30 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostDWF, on 12 October 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

LMDs are robots and this might help to understand them, it's their first appearance.

Attachment ST135_LMDs.jpg
I love how one of the assassins is hiding under the car. :lol: :D
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#31 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

^^  There was something interesting in pretty much every panel Kirby drew.

View PostBklnScott, on 11 October 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Joe Staton made everyone look like monkeys.  :)  
I'm kind of ambivalent about Joe Staton as an artist, despite my love of cartoony art, but he was a wonderful inker for Our Pal Sal.

View PostNeuralClone, on 11 October 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Dunno, he looks pretty ridiculous in most of the pics I've found. He looks slightly less absurd in this pic:  
That outfit is definitely a shout out to Kirby.

View PostUncle Bob, on 11 October 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

If you don't like Americans, you probably should avoid American TV shows.  :lol:

View PostDWF, on 12 October 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

I perfer he's original look and it was inked by Palbo Marcos not Joe Rosen.  
Oops, my bad.  I had forgotten that Marcos ever inked Sal Buscema-- I had forgotten that he did anything for Marvel outside Tales of the Zombie.  Definitely a good combo.  Although even Vince Colletta looked good on Sal (Sal Buscema and George Tuska were the only artists that Colletta couldn't kill).
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#32 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 12 October 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

A girdle? or perhaps a corset, or waist-cincher?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#33 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

^ Girdle! That's it - thanks :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users