Government Shut Down 2013 113th Congress Veterans

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Stupid people (and I'm not saying you are one) read "OBAMACARE EXEMPTIONS" as meaning that some people and corporations can opt out altogether without penalty.

'companies received a one year delay' is what I wrote -
but you could be on to something stupid people think it means "OBAMACARE EXEMPTIONS"

Pssst.....ACA has been law of the land since 2010 -
Businesses had 3 years to get ready Obamacare, it's the law and wasn't a surprise.
But they got a one year delay and the people are forced to sign up for this high priced
insurance.

#62 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostKota, on 15 October 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Stupid people (and I'm not saying you are one) read "OBAMACARE EXEMPTIONS" as meaning that some people and corporations can opt out altogether without penalty.

but you could be on to something stupid people think it means "OBAMACARE EXEMPTIONS"

Businesses had 3 years to get ready Obamacare, it's the law and wasn't a surprise.
But they got a one year delay and the people are forced to sign up for this high priced
insurance.

It's a law!

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#63 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostKota, on 14 October 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Really?.....I thought I was replying as time allowed in my schedule.

You may not have time due to your busy schedule to address everything (nothing wrong with that) but your posts paint a different story about that. You could have simply stated "I don't have time to respond to this in full" but instead you just said you stopped reading at points that were awfully convenient.

So why are you in this thread posting about my posting and not about the topic?
Because this is a discussion board and your complete refusal to actually address any of the points is part of this discussion? There are multiple things being discussed in this thread. As for the main topic, it's so laughably overblown and just plain wrong that anything I could contribute to it has already been stated and explained at length (found in many of those posts full of words).
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#64 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostDev F, on 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

View PostKota, on 14 October 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostDev F, on 14 October 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I believe the standard counterproposal to "Why don't you agree to unwind your most significant legislative accomplishment of the past decade in exchange for nothing?" is "Go f**k yourself." If the Republicans really wanted to negotiate in good faith, they would've brought some potential concessions to the table to begin with. That's been my point all along -- if the Republicans put nothing on the table but "We'll agree not to destroy the economy," they're not making deals, they're taking hostages.

And if it wasn't really about taking hostages, if the Republicans really just wanted the Democrats to come to the table and deal, then, well . . . why did they shut down the government and threaten not to raise the debt ceiling in the first place? Why not pass a clean budget and debt ceiling bill and then trade actual concessions with the Dems to their hearts' content?
Republicans put one year delay for individuals on the table, which is fair considering all of these
companies received a one year delay? What makes companies so deserving and not the people?
So your argument is that the Republicans did indeed offer a concession to Democrats, and it was . . . to decrease the magnitude of the concession they were demanding from Democrats? Yeah, that's not how negotiation works.

"Hey, I want you to give me a million dollars in exchange for nothing."
"Of course not!"
"Fine, give me a hundred thousand dollars in exchange for nothing."
"No!"
"Come on, I reduced what you would have to pay by ninety percent! That's more than fair! Why aren't you willing to negotiate!"

LOL - Your example is ridiculous

Democrats are stupid for asking for nothing in return,
it got them and everyone else a bucket of empty -  per listening President Obama
"I will not negotiate on anything when it comes to the full faith and credit of the United States of America."link
they got  exactly what they wanted a stalemate.

But in the end they do have to negotiate.

#65 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostBalderdash, on 15 October 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

insurance.

It's a law!

Yes, that's what I wrote,  thanks for confirming.

#66 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

but instead you just said you stopped reading at points that were awfully convenient.

At how many points did I say 'I stopped reading',
other than the one I wrote directly to Cait?

Because this is a discussion board and your complete refusal to actually address any of the points is part of this discussion?

My complete refusal address any points, lol....
You mean I haven't addressed anything in thread?

Ok Gotcha!

Edited by Kota, 15 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#67 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Here ya go Spectacles

Kathleen Sebelius describing how people can get the same one-year delay as businesses,
by paying the penalty.

link

#68 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostKota, on 15 October 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

insurance.

It's a law!

So, you think it's ok to hold the entire country hostage because you don't like a law?  Tea Baggers are terrorists, period.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

#69 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostKota, on 15 October 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Here ya go Spectacles

Kathleen Sebelius describing how people can get the same one-year delay as businesses,
by paying the penalty.

link

OK?

What is this in response to?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#70 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have been trying to learn how to manage my blogsite for two and a half months now, and have been frantic, putting off my announcement of my blog, Reason to Live, as a reach out to (mostly) disabled and suicidal veterans.  I have enough to worry about myself at the moment, and have decided that I can't keep it together for anybody else.  I haven't been able to organize the site, can't even figure out how to get the content on the pages I want them on, but at least I have kept the place swept clean of spam.  But what was a good-hearted attempt to connect with alienated veterans now looks just pathetic, considering what we're facing.  I can hardly set an example of how to fight suicidal thoughts if I can't keep it together myself.

No, I'm not planning, and I'm fighting the urges, but I can't stop crying, and that's more than enough reason to take care of myself first.

John McCain wants his party to get through this mess without the humiliation they deserve?  Oh, bring it on!!

Edited by Nonny, 15 October 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#71 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostNonny, on 15 October 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I have been trying to learn how to manage my blogsite for two and a half months now, and have been frantic, putting off my announcement of my blog, Reason to Live, as a reach out to (mostly) disabled and suicidal veterans.  I have enough to worry about myself at the moment, and have decided that I can't keep it together for anybody else.  I haven't been able to organize the site, can't even figure out how to get the content on the pages I want them on, but at least I have kept the place swept clean of spam.  But what was a good-hearted attempt to connect with alienated veterans now looks just pathetic, considering what we're facing.  I can hardly set an example of how to fight suicidal thoughts if I can't keep it together myself.

No, I'm not planning, and I'm fighting the urges, but I can't stop crying, and that's more than enough reason to take care of myself first.

John McCain wants his party to get through this mess without the humiliation they deserve?  Oh, bring it on!!

Nonny, there will be plenty of time for your blog and honestly I have thought that for my family, at this moment, I am worth more, monetarily, deceased at least for 2 more weeks until my company benefits disappear.  I won't either but this is one of the most painful moments in my life.  We have to hang tough, you have to hang tough, we all know and see how tough you can be, so please stay strong because right now I'm crying for you instead of myself and that makes me feel stronger for a moment.   Stay strong Nonny, please.    {{{{{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}}}}

#72 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

*disregard*

Edited by Omega, 15 October 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#73 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

{{{{{{{Baldie}}}}}}}

I'm working on it.  You stay strong too.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#74 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostBalderdash, on 15 October 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostKota, on 15 October 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

insurance.

It's a law!

So, you think it's ok to hold the entire country hostage because you don't like a law?  Tea Baggers are terrorists, period.

I don't have a problem with it, I don't feel like a hostage - do you? I do think it's a good idea for some of the non essential employees who were furloughed to be permanently furloughed, thinning out the federal anything is always a good idea. OTH President Obama has the biggest and most costly white house staff in our nation’s history, be thankful when bending down to lick his shoes for his signature law. :)

As far the ACA law  - I don't believe it was not in our best interests to create a law for the 15% of the people who did not have health care when there are existing programs they could fit into. Considering this -

Obamacare’s bevy of mandates, regulations, taxes, and fees drives up the cost of the insurance plans that are offered under the law’s public exchanges. A Manhattan Institute analysis I helped conduct found that, on average, the cheapest plan offered in a given state, under Obamacare, will be 99 percent more expensive for men, and 62 percent more expensive for women, than the cheapest plan offered under the old system. And those disparities are even wider for healthy people.

That raises an obvious question. If 50 million people are uninsured today, mainly because insurance is too expensive, why is it better to make coverage even costlier?
link

#75 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Kota, any particular reason you felt the need to quote the entire list of companies (or very close to it) on page 3? I can't speak for everyone, but I am more than capable of clicking on a hyperlink to investigate further if a sample interests me, with a sample being defined as, say, something that doesn't more than double the length of the page.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#76 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Kota: OTH President Obama has the biggest and most costly white house staff in our nation’s history, be thankful when bending down to lick his shoes for his signature law. :)

Hey, Kota! R U Reddy? I just read in The Daily Caller that Sarah Palin is leaving her husband for Ann Coulter! It must be true! After all, The Daily Caller is an impeccable source.

http://reasonablecon...nsive-ever.html

Is The Obama White House Most Expensive Ever?

Is the Obama White House the most expensive ever? Has it cost the United States taxpayers more than any of his predecessors? In the last few days, this charge has made by author and former Reagan White House loyalist Robert Keith Gray in his latest book, "Presidential Perks Gone Royal", and been seen in the Daily Caller and other conservative leaning websites..

Gray maintains that the Obamas have increased the amount of spending under their time in office to never before seen levels by other Administrations. According to the Daily Caller's Alex Pappas, Gray says, "the amount of money spent on the first family, he argues, has risen tremendously under the Obama administration and needs to be reined in."

The article has several claims worth fact-checking, including the idea that there are thirty-two "czars" now working in this Administration, a claim apparently inspired by Glen Beck's identical charge. Factcheck.org has debunked this as well as Politifact.

Michelle Obama's staff size also comes under scrutiny by Mr. Gray, who once again uses talk show host Glen Beck as his researcher. Back in February 2011, Beck claimed Michelle Obama had 43 staffers, compared to Nancy Reagan's 3. Once again, Politifact did some digging and found the claim to be inflated dramatically.

It's worth noting that Mr. Gray is a long time Republican player who held a job in the Reagan White House as head of his transition team, but later got into trouble for influence peddling, Also interesting is that Mr. Gray is thought to be behind the 2010 charge that the Obama folks were spending upwards of 200 Million dollars a day during a trip to India, a claim widely panned by a handful of media outlets including the Rupert Murdoch owned Wall Street Journal as well as the White House.

This morning, thanks to Bruce Bartlett (another former member of the Reagan White House), I learn of this article by Little Green Footballs.com which compares the Obama and Bush White House spending. Looking at Bush Administration numbers from Bradley Patterson's book, "To Serve The President," it seems that the Bush White House spent roughly $1.6 Billion dollars for the year 2008. Which is $200,000,000.00 more than Obama is alleged to have spent. Obama seems to have reduced spending. By a lot. Two hundred million less.

I know that's a lot to read, but the short answer is no. Turns out, that is a lie. Oddly enough, partisan Republican/conservative sources tend to make up sh*t about the Obamas. But it works with the faithful, so why not?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#77 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

I read the information in Forbes,
but I'm delighted you're keeping up with the Daily Caller gossip section.

The first Friday at 8:30 EST is traditionally the release of the monthly employment report. In keeping with vindictive style, Mr. Obama had this important statistic withheld this morning under the flimsy pretext of government shutdown. Mr. Obama currently presides over the largest and most expensive white house staff in our nation’s history. Surcease of this agency should be placed up for review as well.
link

I'm guessing because you used red text it must be true?

July 4, 2012

The White House payroll of $37.8 million has declined since Obama first entered the Oval Office in 2009, when a staff of 487 employees earned total wages of $39.1 million. But how does this compare to George W. Bush’s administration?

After adjusting for inflation, Bush’s White House staff — consisting of 431 employees — collected $35.2 million in total wages in the fourth year of his presidency, 2004. Bush wasn’t necessarily more frugal, however, as his staff expanded to 447 employees by 2008 at a cost of $35.4 million to taxpayers (adjusted for inflation).

link

$2.4 million more spending for President Obama, check the salaries.

#78 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Obama refused to negotiate with bullies and LO, they backed down.  AFTER they caused the country to take a $24 billion hit. But I'm sure the usual suspects are going to say THAT'S also Obama's fault because, you know, when assholes take hostages, it's ALWAYS the victim's fault.  Didn't you know?

What is particularly galling is how, in the face of this fiasco, Boehner continues to call it "the good fight".  Wow.

But go right ahead, keep blaming anyone BUT the people who are actually responsible.  It comes as no surprise.
Posted Image

#79 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Kota, RIchard Finger is hardly an objective reporter. That was an op-ed piece. His opinions are almost always flavored with right-wing propaganda.

Washington Times? You trust anything from a right-wing source, don't you.

FACTCHECK.ORG is where to go to find out if the b.s is true. I provided a link above (complete with figures and research) and you can continue to ignore it and believe whatever demonizing crap your "reliable" sources tell you.

#80 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Shame on the Washington Times for using whitehouse.gov as a source,
they make sh*t up all the time. And so does Washington Post.

Demonizing crap sources!
http://www.whitehous...al-records/2009
http://www.washingto...stafflistb.html
http://www.washingto...listsalary.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress, Veterans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users