• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

No.

Looks like the government will be opening again tomorrow (no thanks to the House Republicans who caused this mess and tried their best to argue that, hey, defaulting ain't no thang).

But tales of Obama hauling WWII vets away from monuments in chains will no doubt become a cherished part of Right Wing Mythology.

For those interested, however:

http://www.politico....true-98362.html

Republicans have turned the National World War II Memorial into the government shutdown’s poster child.

But there’s one big problem with their protest: Veterans streaming into Washington to see the monument don’t really face any obstacles in their visits, and many complain that they are being used for political gain.

Black metal barricades may indeed be wrapped around the nine-year-old site on the National Mall. But the National Park Service rangers charged with protecting the monument also have been under orders since the day after the shutdown’s start to move the gates out of the way when any World War II veterans arrive.

“We’ve had no problems at all,” said Jim McLaughlin, a lead organizer for the Honor Flight Network, the nonprofit group drawn into the dispute when several GOP lawmakers accompanied its guests during their first visit to the memorial hours after the shutdown started.

While Republicans have continued to argue that the monument is closed — images and video of the lawmakers with the visiting veterans quickly became the B-roll on the shutdown’s first day — McLaughlin said in an interview that his group has been able to bring several hundred more veterans to see the site since Oct. 1.

The Honor Flight Network also hasn’t made any changes to its flight schedules — many of the chartered aircraft were reserved weeks or months in advance, including several groups of veterans who arrived Tuesday from Arizona, Texas and Missouri.

“They’ve been very cooperative and very polite,” he said of the Park Service, which has allowed the groups to visit under the auspices that they’re conducting “First Amendment activities.”

But none of this will stop the GOP from claiming that Obama personally saw to it that barricades were erected to keep out our vets--because.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

P.S. Anyone who read the above with a sense of disappointment might reconsider how much THEY value veterans over partisanship.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I know and it seems like this was addressed day one of the shutdown when that ass Republican was telling the park ranger that she should be ashamed when it was his party that shut the government down.

http://www.realclear...ng_her_job.html

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Not even one tiny little bit. And I'm gonna post this in every thread I consider an appropriate place to post it:

View PostNonny, on 17 October 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I had my laser procedure yesterday, it went well, I feel fine, will receive "aggressive" follow up from the surgeon and her team, so this veteran is damn glad they shut down the war memorials and NOT THE VA HOSPITALS.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress, Veterans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users