Government Shut Down 2013 113th Congress

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Here is a simple timeline of the government shutdown and un-shutdown, sans partisan spin. This is a list of simply what happened:

http://abcnews.go.co...utdown-20580940

Sept. 20: Republican-run House ignores White House veto threat, votes to keep government open through Dec. 15 but only if President Barack Obama agrees to halt money for his 2010 health care law.

Sept. 24-25: Tea party Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and other conservatives speak on Senate floor for more than 21 consecutive hours about using shutdown bill to weaken health care law.

Sept. 27: Democratic-led Senate removes House-approved provision defunding health care law, sends bill keeping agencies open through Nov. 15 back to House.

Sept. 29: House shifts demands on health care law, votes to delay implementation for a year and repeal tax on medical devices. Separately, House votes to pay troops in case of shutdown. Senate approves bill next day, Obama signs it into law.

Sept. 30: Senate rejects latest House provisions curbing health care law. House reworks shutdown bill again, delaying for a year health care law requirement that individuals buy health insurance and requiring members of Congress and staff to pay full expense of health insurance, without government paying part of costs. Senate kills latest House health care provisions.

Oct. 1: Government's new fiscal year begins, partial federal shutdown starts, around 800,000 workers furloughed.

Oct. 2: House approves first of more than a dozen bills restarting popular programs, reopening national parks and National Institutes of Health medical research. Over the next two weeks, Democrats mostly vote "no," saying entire government must reopen, and Senate ignores the measures. Obama meets with congressional leaders at White House, no progress reported.

Oct. 4: Republicans increasingly tie shutdown fight to need for Congress to renew federal borrowing authority by Oct. 17 or risk economy-rattling government default. Their demands also evolve to deficit reduction.

Oct. 5: Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says he is bringing most of his department's 350,000 furloughed workers back to work immediately.

Oct. 10: Boehner proposes six-week debt limit extension, conditioned on Obama bargaining over spending cuts and reopening government. House GOP leaders discuss standoff with Obama at White House without agreement. Congress gives final approval to bill providing death benefits for slain troops and Obama signs it.

Oct. 11: A bipartisan Senate group works on a measure that would reopen the government and prevent the U.S. from defaulting on its bills.

Oct. 12: Boehner tells House Republicans that negotiations with White House have stalled. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., begin talks.

Oct. 14: Reid and McConnell say they've made progress toward a deal extending debt limit and reopening government.

Oct. 15: House GOP effort to craft its own plan collapses after Boehner fails to gain enough Republican support for two alternatives that are more conservative than evolving Senate plan.

Oct. 16: Reid, McConnell announce deal on reopening government through Jan. 15, extending debt limit to Feb. 7. Congress plans votes later in day.

Interesting to just look at the bare bones of what was demanded and what happened.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for that link. It is interesting and so much easier to see it bare bones like that.

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oh goodie, the next showdown will be in February.  This time I was vulnerable financially, next time, like the first time, it will be my Daddy issues.  Okay, here's my plan: get my blog up and running, set up the memorial to my father and my brother, reach out to disabled and suicidal veterans, stop cowering in fear of the stupid comments I will no doubt receive, and concentrate on people of good will who will care.

That's the plan.

I had my laser procedure yesterday, it went well, I feel fine, will receive "aggressive" follow up from the surgeon and her team, so this veteran is damn glad they shut down the war memorials and NOT THE VA HOSPITALS.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Unless I missed it something else I think should be on time-line:

I read that they recently changed a congress procedural rule that prevented most representatives from being able to bring a bill up for a vote. They likely had enough votes for passing a clean continuing resolution, but since only one guy was allowed to put it to a vote, and they choose not to, it didn't go to a vote to test that.

Here is a Huffington Post article on it (I've read about it elsewhere too, but don't have time to go digger for another source)

http://www.huffingto..._n_4095129.html

I think it was Sep 30th, or close to there, that it happened.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 17 October 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Unless I missed it something else I think should be on time-line:

I read that they recently changed a congress procedural rule that prevented most representatives from being able to bring a bill up for a vote. They likely had enough votes for passing a clean continuing resolution, but since only one guy was allowed to put it to a vote, and they choose not to, it didn't go to a vote to test that.

Here is a Huffington Post article on it (I've read about it elsewhere too, but don't have time to go digger for another source)

http://www.huffingto..._n_4095129.html

I think it was Sep 30th, or close to there, that it happened.

Oh yeah, that is just downright sneaky and dishonest.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Government, Shut Down 2013, 113th Congress

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users