25 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Spoilers

A girl in a lfower dress holds the key to a mystery in Asia.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Pretty good. We got some real progress with the character arcs as well as the return of the Centipede arc. We now know why Skye infiltrated SHIELD, and we have a new mystery about just who Skye's parents were... and who (or what) she is.

I'd been wondering if this episode would give Chloe Bennet (who was a pop star in Beijing for a while) the chance to show off her Mandarin-speaking chops, but it turned out that it was Ming-Na Wen who got to show off her linguistic abilities. (Apparently she speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese, and the Hong Kong setting suggests she was using the latter here, but I can't tell the difference.)

It was a bit awkward how they just jumped to having Skye and her friend released to help rescue the team. I wondered if I'd missed a scene. Her redemption did feel a little abrupt, although the denouement scene in Coulson's office balanced that out some.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

This was the first episode where I got what I was hoping for all along.  Here's hoping for more of this.
Posted Image

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

I hope Skye's parents aren't SHIELD agents that we know. I'll feel like I'm back watching Once Upon a Time.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

^ LOL!  You know, Jane Espenson learned at the knees of Joss Whedon so.....;)
Posted Image

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

I suspect they are riffing off of Spider-Woman's backstory with Skye (and substituting Coulson for Fury in the mentor department).  The parents will be long-lost agents of Centipede - is that the name of the baddie group?  I still think it's probably a front for HYDRA.  They don't have access to Spider-Woman - who is licensed to Sony - but Bendis's Avengers run was heavily predicated on her as a central character who you sympathize with but whose loyalty is in question.  (For reasons too complicated to get into.)

Anyway, that's my guess.

Edited by BklnScott, 23 October 2013 - 05:21 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think Centipede is the code name for their research project rather than the name of the group running it, but it's the best shorthand we have for now.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I dunno.  This episode just rubbed me the wrong way.

We have Skye who was kidnapped by SHIELD and then given 2 options, neither of which was her continued freedom.  Then they whine that she wasn't totally open and honest with them?!?!  Seriously?  And of course they are SO-O-O-O disappointed that she has an ulterior motive for working with them. Of course, this is pretty much part and parcel for any organization that relies on press-ganging and hazing new recruits, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Given that we're only on ... let's see now, ummm, episode 4(?), it seems to me that at this stage they still should've been in the suspicious stage, as opposed to the whole "we totally trust her (gasp) how could she have betrayed us?" stage.  Especially given the circumstances surrounding her "recruitment" and her activities before then.  It just feels forced.

And for her to not have reminded Coulson of how he recruited her, and challenged him on just what he'd expected given those circumstances ... it kind of undermines Skye's character as a rebel type; and it didn't challenge the most dedicated of SHIELD's followers to actually question his tactics.

Then there was Scorch who was no fan of being held prisoner and felt it was better to die free than to live under SHIELD custody.  Again, this parallel's Skye's path, and quite frankly, he had a point and I knew he was dead the moment he fell for the "fame and fortune" gambit the lady put forth.

Skye's ex-, yeah, the guy is a tool what with his ploy to reconnect with Skye -- pretty much undermining what it was she was looking for ... I have to wonder if he even had ever bothered to ask as opposed to simply allowing Skye her secrets.  Either way, he tripped her up.

So, meh.  I'm not overly impressed with this one.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

^It's episode 5.

And obviously they didn't trust Skye yet, since they sent May to keep an eye on her. They were disappointed in her evident betrayal, but not surprised. Well, Fitz and Simmons were, but they're scientists, not spies.

Facebook Author Page

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Another great episode. I was a bit surprised that Sky really got busted and wasn't just playing both sides for Coulson, but they handled it well.  It was interesting seeing Coulson in a different light.  I love his blue-skies character, but something's got to set him off from time to time.  Still, the revelation about Sky's parents brought him back down. I couldn't tell from his reaction whether he already knows something or not, but I suspect he does (and I'm pretty sure he won't turn out to be her father).

The reactions of the other characters were perfect, too, especially Fitz's hurt naivete.  I can't wait to see how the healing and re-bonding goes.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I saw a screencap, and what's interesting about that redacted document is that it's about the medical examination of an infant left at an orphanage. Most of the specifics of the medical examination are blacked out. If Skye was that baby, what does that suggest about her nature/abilities?

Facebook Author Page

#12 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Another great episode. It's a good race between this and Sleepy Hollow for the best in the Freshmen Class.

enTranced
Posted Image

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Is no one watching American Horror Story: Coven?

#14 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

This is probably going to sound like heresy, Scott, but I've never seen a single episode of American Horror Story. So in my case, nope. Not watching it.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#15 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

My wife and I both watch every episode of AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

We both love the currnt season.  She was okay with ASYLUM, whereas I loved it.

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 October 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

This is probably going to sound like heresy, Scott, but I've never seen a single episode of American Horror Story. So in my case, nope. Not watching it.

You should check it out - equal doses fun and mortifying.  And it's the best ensemble on TV.

#17 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostenTranced, on 24 October 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Another great episode. It's a good race between this and Sleepy Hollow for the best in the Freshmen Class.

enTranced

You should check out The Blacklist then.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I've seen the first season of American Horror Story and it's really good.  It's not high on my priority list to watch in real time, because my Brother is a nut for it and I know I will get the DVDs for Christmas or my birthday.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I don't think the team was anywhere CLOSE to "I trust Skye completely".  What was happening is that they LIKED her and they were certainly starting to trust her.  That's not the same thing at all.  Their reaction was what I'd expect from someone who feels betrayed by someone they took a chance on, liked, and had begun to trust.

And YES, S.H.I.EL.D. is far from morally pristine.  So?  If you don't know that going into the show, then I don't know.

I like that Skye "got in", not to undermine anyone or steal secrets, but because it was personal.  I think that's why she wasn't sent away in chains.

This show is still not as good as Arrow but hey, this was an immensely satisfying ep.

For me, The Black List is hands down the best new show of the season.  Not even close.  And I love Sleepy Hollow.
Posted Image

#20 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 24 October 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

You should check it out - equal doses fun and mortifying.  And it's the best ensemble on TV.
Well, with a recommendation like that, there's no way I can't check it out! :D
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users