Induction Range-Anyone have one?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

I need to get a new range and have been looking at the induction cook-top, regular-oven combination ranges, but I don't know anyone who has one.  Please let me know what your experiences have been with them.  Thanks

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I got an induction hot plate last month, haven't used it yet.  I'm a bit intimidated, because I assumed all my stainless steel cookware would work with it, but then I did the magnet test.  Yikes!  Fortunately my braising pan is All Clad, because all All Clad seems to be induction-ready, and I can use all but one Emeril on it, but nearly every other pot and pan of mine is not.

I got the hot plate for travel and also for long simmering, and I thought I'd have to get a new pot for making soup and soup stock, but then I got a Wonderbag portable slow cooker, http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00ESI97YU, and, as it happens, the 5qt steamer I got because I needed a short handled pot for the Wonderbag happens to be All Clad, and induction-ready.  :thumbs-up:   So I still ended up with a new pot.   :lol:

Anyway, back to your question, did you get the induction range?  If so, how do you like it?
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

I did not get an induction range.  Even though Consumer Reports gave them their highest rating, user reviews indicated that they stopped working within months or at most 3 years.  I have a theory about this.  I think the top part, the induction cooktop, cannot be placed over an oven.  I have a Miele dishwasher that I love so I went to the Miele website to look for an induction range.  Instead they offer an induction cooktop and separate wall ovens.  They have a very explicit warning that their cooktop cannot be placed over an oven.  So, maybe, these combination ranges cannot work for whatever is the reason Miele says not to do that.

Your hotplate should be fine, as long as you don't put it above your range.  All my stainless steel pots and pans pass the magnet test.  Of course, my aluminum ones do not.  You should use only flat-bottomed pots and pans, just like you have to on all glass-top cooktop surfaces.  If your pans got warped over time, they won't cook evenly on these glass, unforgiving, surfaces the way gas or the old coil ranges would allow them.

Let us know how you like that hotplate after you use it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users