Arrow

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Actually I think reinterpreting the Canary Cry as an ultrasonic device is very clever. It makes a lot more sense, in that she doesn't need to expend an impossible amount of breath to keep the sound up for any length of time (plus it lets her save her breath for fighting).

Yes, they will be introducing a real superpower later, but that's a major change where this show's universe is concerned, so of course they're not just going to do it casually or randomly. And Black Canary is not a character who's defined by her superpower the way the Flash is. For the first 20-plus years of the character's existence, she had no superpowers, and there have been times since then when she's lost the Canary Cry. She's always been primarily defined as a martial artist, with the Cry being secondary. So she can easily be portrayed as a non-powered character, and thus it wouldn't make sense for her to be the character that introduces superpowers to the Arrowverse.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#22 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

I think turning her Canary Cry into a sonic device is brilliant. It allows her to still have that ability while not having super human abilities. It fits with the universe they've established so far.

Brother Blood's mask has more in common with a skull than Scarecrow's mask.

It does seem like they're currently wasting Summer Glau. But I'm confident that they have bigger plans for her. Just look at what they did with John Barrowman.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Apparently the comics' Brother Blood wears a skull headdress as well:

http://dc.wikia.com/...od_DCUO_001.png

What Blood was wearing in this episode bore no resemblance whatsoever to the Scarecrow's mask beyond being something that surrounded a human being's head.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#24 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Indeed. What he was wearing here was an adaptation of what he wears in the comic. The main difference in this case is it completely covered his face to hide his identity.

#25 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

^Well, the comics character's headgear covers everything but his mouth. There's a closer-fitting mask underneath the animal-skull headdress. The show has gone for a simpler design, but still one with a skull motif.

Facebook Author Page

#26 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Oh I didn't see the mask under the animal skull. That actually makes more sense.

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

The real question is what will the effect of Dinah's resurrection have on the Lance family? That is if they don't wimp out and have the family learn of her new life.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think you mean Sara. ;) But yes, it'll be interesting to see how they address that. I don't think they'll wimp out and have her family find out about her nightly outings. I highly doubt Laurel or their father would approve. Well, their father might actually given how he's been teaming up with Oliver recently.

I've been rewatching season 1 and they really setup a lot of stuff for season 2. They indirectly mentioned Ra's al Ghul and Malcolm training with him. There's the whole plot line where there's the possibility of Sara still being alive. There are offhand comments about Sara owning a canary when she was younger. And many other things that setup the story line (so far) in season 2. Regardless of how detailed they planned things out, they've certainly thought them through quite well.

Edited by NeuralClone, 03 November 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#29 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

I thought the reference was to Laurel owning a canary. They definitely did a gag about Laurel wearing fishnets as a Halloween costume. I do feel that making Sarah into Black Canary is a change from their original plans -- though one I like, since I've never been a fan of Laurel.

Facebook Author Page

#30 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

No, it was definitely Sara that they referenced owning a canary. I actually just happened to watch that episode tonight, which is why I brought it up. McKenna Hall picks up a picture of a little girl and Quentin. McKenna assumes it's Laurel. Laurel corrects her and says that she doesn't know why her father bought Sara a canary. It's in the episode "Dead to Rights" at Tommy's birthday party (near the beginning). It's available for streaming on Netflix now. Of course that happened not long after I bought it on Blu-ray. Go figure.

Early on in the series they may have intended for Laurel to become Black Canary. They did indeed make a reference to her wearing "those awful fishnets." But by the end of season 1, it seems clear that they had much bigger plans for Sara first. Malcolm mentioning being trained by a man that sounds an awful lot like Ra's al Ghul, the canary reference, the possibility of her being alive, etc.

Edited by NeuralClone, 03 November 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#31 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

As soon as they said this masked woman was following Laurel I knew it was Sara.

I can't recall - was the Lance family (i.e. Laurel and Sara's parents) broken up before or after Sara went missing on the Gambit?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#32 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

And why do they think Sara telling her story to her family involves outing Ollie on his lie? Does she have to go over every event in the last six years? I doubt she will, whether Ollie's part in her experience is included or not... does she know his family is in the dark over the vast majority of his experience?

- Masha Gessen

#33 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sara going missing tore the Lance family apart. Quentin became obsessed with his work and turned to heavy drinking. He and Dinah separated as a result of that.

Edited by NeuralClone, 04 November 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#34 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

^ Thanks. Wonder if we'll see their mother/wife again.

- Masha Gessen

#35 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

If Sara reveals herself to her family as this episode implied she was going to do, I'd say it's just a matter of time (assuming Alex Kingston is available of course).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users